Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To slick top or not to slick top that is the ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 09:55 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,175 Posts

So for all of you that say the youth of today have no interest in cars is wrong. I spent the last three weekends helping my son and some of his friends with their cars. Three weekends ago we did a complete suspension upgrade on one of his friends 2018 GTI then last week we installed a SOUL exhaust and X73 suspension package on my sons 14 cayman S. I found a barn find 944 and the right owner for it. A 1983 944 2 owner car that was abandoned 10 years ago. It had a blown radiator hose that was NLA and the replacement rubbed the belt and didn't last long so it was just set outside to rot.

It is sad as the car ends up being amazingly clean and original. No accident damage and I suspect it was perfect when set out to pasture but now is a challenge.

The interior is a mold fest and quite bad but after a week of vinegar and steam cleaning it is coming along nicely. The underside is near perfect . Car had new brakes and shocks when put away. The new owner is 24 and so excited. He is looking for a good cheap way to get into DE and will learn how to drive in this vs most new DE'ers that only want to drive a fast car at half speed and think they are fast.

After some pressure washing and inspection the engine will get a complete overhaul and then we go from there but minimal rust or issues from what we can tell.

Just what I needed another project. BTW my sons college roommate also purchased a 944 after taking second at the Audrian Concours and was interviewed by Tommy Kendall and J Leno.

I think we are seeing a new generation of future Porsche owners happening.
Amazon Amazon

Reminds me of my HS days when my friends and I were were restoring 2002's and early 911's. But we were just kids and got no attention like today.

So the 944 turned out to be quite clean. After hours of pressure washing the grime away it is practically like new inside and out considering it is nearly 40 years old.

Old 06-04-2021, 09:05 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

It has been a long time since the last update. I have three cars I am working on simultaneously now so it splits my time.

Great news the car has finally made its way to the spray booth and paint. They really went over every square inch of the car and it will be flawless when done.

Here are some pics of the base being laid down. Pino sent me these last night. I am heading up there today to inspect. It appears they matched the factory orange peel perfectly.

Ironically we started this project just as Covid set in and business was slow. Meanwhile Pino has never been so busy as now turning away work as he has too much on his plate. Strange how things change so quickly. But being too busy is always a good problem to have.

Did I say it was worth the wait as I love the look of the slick top!!!!

Now the clear

She will be ready to come home soon and then the work begins. Headliner will be done by Pino and myself in my garage and then the windows go in. Interior removed and new carpet (black) Sportster CS's go back in and interior. Then MCS 2 WNR 993 front uprights and tie rods. Car already has RS sways and other bits. Then the engine and I am ready to drive again.

Last edited by cobalt; 06-04-2021 at 09:08 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by cobalt:
Finlander (06-19-2021), Gmanscott (06-04-2021), Marine Blue (06-18-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 09:37 AM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
It has been a long time since the last update. I have three cars I am working on simultaneously now so it splits my time.

Great news the car has finally made its way to the spray booth and paint. They really went over every square inch of the car and it will be flawless when done.

Here are some pics of the base being laid down. Pino sent me these last night. I am heading up there today to inspect. It appears they matched the factory orange peel perfectly.

Ironically we started this project just as Covid set in and business was slow. Meanwhile Pino has never been so busy as now turning away work as he has too much on his plate. Strange how things change so quickly. But being too busy is always a good problem to have.

Did I say it was worth the wait as I love the look of the slick top!!!!

Now the clear

She will be ready to come home soon and then the work begins. Headliner will be done by Pino and myself in my garage and then the windows go in. Interior removed and new carpet (black) Sportster CS's go back in and interior. Then MCS 2 WNR 993 front uprights and tie rods. Car already has RS sways and other bits. Then the engine and I am ready to drive again.
Wow gorgeous! That Amazon green is some color. I really need to do this on my 964 when I have the front and rear glass rust addressed.
Old 06-04-2021, 10:46 PM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 201 Posts

Beautiful Anthony and def worth the wait! almost look like a Lapis Blue
Old 06-05-2021, 08:12 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

The color is green as I learned when DAing the paint and the dust was heavy green but to the eye it has more of a blue color in most light. I picked up all the parts yesterday. Rockers, mirrors, tails etc. I thought it was darker than before but when I checked it against the rest of the car it was perfect match I checked the parts against my 928 and are nearly identical, although I always knew the 928 had a finer metallic flake than the C2. I counted 5 little dust specs which happens so they will buff those out after going over the paint with 3000 and then 5000 paper. It should be done by Tuesday of next week and then I trailer it home and onto my lift so the work begins.

The reflection is so deep he used the best materials which makes a huge difference in the end product. The color does shift looking nearly black in some light along with blue and green. You can see the colors in the pics.

Spending the time to get the rails perfect and not using any filler really paid off. Although we learned that there is a better way to attack this next time.

They wet sanded the parts and rear deck lid, buffed it out which brings the color out even more and really adds to the shine.

Last edited by cobalt; 06-05-2021 at 08:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jacke2c (06-18-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 09:19 AM
jimonycricket
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 36 Posts

looks amazing!
Old 06-10-2021, 10:14 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

If all goes to plan,🤣 I should be picking up the car later today. They decided to wet sand the front of the car and polish the entire thing out for me. This was supposed to be a driver but I am afraid it will be too nice. That always happens when Pino gets involved. He only knows perfection.

I can't wait to gt it home the polishing has taken it to the next level and the entire car will be better than new when done.

The following 2 users liked this post by cobalt:
Jacke2c (06-18-2021), Marine Blue (06-18-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 12:18 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

That car is going to be as beautiful as it is unique.
You 'da man, Anthony!
Old 06-11-2021, 12:03 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 273 Posts

Love it! Can't wait to see it come together.

Mr. Wolfe
Old 06-12-2021, 12:05 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 495 Posts

Looks great! When are we going for a drive?
Old 06-18-2021, 08:40 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

So the car is finally home and is waiting on the headliner and carpet which should be here in a few days. Once it arrives we need to install the headliner and stretch it for several days before the final cutting and glueing.

I have stepped back from the Blue Meanie project for now and will use the **** Box for track duty while I put this one back together.

Pino didn't like the few rock chips on the front bumper so wants me to remove it and he will paint it. He will also fill the license plate holes while at it.

I also have the MCS 2WNR shocks, 993 front uprights and newly rebuilt trailing arms with all HD bushings to install.

I have to say I rarely see quality paint and body work this good.

And I need to clean the garage. LOL

The following users liked this post:
Jacke2c (06-18-2021)
Old 06-18-2021, 09:11 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

It’s not often you see a respray that holds the same or better depth than the factory paint. The respray is absolutely fantastic.

Looks like this is headed down the same path as your “track car”, it’s going to be ready for concours.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:38 AM
Finlander
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 139 Posts

Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-19-2021, 08:56 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 201 Posts

Amazing job Pino!
Old 08-16-2021, 09:24 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

So it has been a while on either this or the blue meanie project. I seem to be getting old and I tripped about 6 weeks back dislocating my neck C4-C5 and pinching a nerve between C7 and T1, loosing feeling and some motor coordination in my left hand. It makes it hard to work and worse drive.

If PT doesn't help it is of to surgery through the neck which sounds like fun. So I have been taking it slow.

Pino finally had the time to stop by and set the headliner in place. The Sunroof headliner is very different than the sunroof delete headliner and takes time to stretch out properly. We have the liner in place which I need to message for a week or so until all the wrinkles are out and the seems are smooth. Once this happens it can be glued in place and the windows can be installed.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSj6vp-F...um=share_sheet

The seams will flatten out before we glue it.

Carpet arrived and looks great. very different than the black with silver threads in my turbo but Factory style Sliverknit. It will be fun cutting the old carpet out and replacing it with the black.

Meanwhile slowly getting the other parts together. Cleaned and rebuilt the RSA tail using all refinished hardware.

I need to stop for now as I have to get the turbo ready for the Bridge event at the old Bridehampton raceway now golf course.

It should be an interesting event. https://www.thebridgehamptons.com/

Last edited by cobalt; 08-20-2021 at 08:17 AM.

Quick Reply: To slick top or not to slick top that is the ??