Sponsored by:

New LEDs in CCU 964 /993

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 08:11 AM
xcvb1
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New LEDs in CCU 964 /993

I was annoyed by broken bulbs on my CCU backlight !
I took the CCU out of the dashboard. Disconnected the connectors, removed the front panel. Than I removed the Original 12V 0.9w bulbs. Took out the bulbs out of the original housing and placed White LEDs 3mm

Original 12V 0.9 watts

Pull out the original bulb and detach contacts

3 mm LED bright white with resistor

Needs to be less than 1.5 cm to meet fitting details like the Orginal Bulb

Two bulb LED replacements finished

Backside of the CCU Panel ! Obey - and + !

It is a bit dimmable in ranges ! The Buttons still Contain the Orginal Bulbs (2 for each button ).

(sorry text splitted for what reason ever !)

with resistor into the housing. Please obey -/+ as marked on LED housing and electric circuit ! Otherwise it will not work !
Please See pics to explain details!
All the best !
Michael
The following users liked this post:
kos11-12 (06-24-2021)
Old 05-25-2020, 12:36 PM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Nice work. Could you post pictures from a darkened garage with your other instrument lights on? (maybe looking in from the passenger window?) It looks great!
Old 05-25-2020, 01:04 PM
xcvb1
Track Day

will do … please give me a few Hours to get dark outisde. I also replaced the middle console bulbs with LEDs!

Michael
Old 05-25-2020, 01:46 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,063 Posts

i did something similar with the center console lights a while back, using green and red LEDs, it's much better, but, had to play around w/ resistor values to balance out w/ the dash lighting.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:51 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Nice work but you could simply use B8.4D leds . I replaced all my dash lights with those, looks better IMO. I still need to do the center console ones which are a bit more involved.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:51 PM
xcvb1
Track Day

Default Middle console

Originally Posted by xcvb1
will do … please give me a few Hours to get dark outisde. I also replaced the middle console bulbs with LEDs!

Michael
as a teaser here are some pics of the LED transforming the middle console !!

The lower row with one red LED 5mm and two white ones 3mm ( had no 5 mm in stock !)

Upper row with 5mm red LEDs and resistors. Please , note that I didn‘t cut the electric circuit anywhere. A means + and K means -

Also buttons fitted with 3mm white LED. The Yellow 3mm was already in (emergency lights... don‘t know the function !)

Same with key symbol button !
Old 05-25-2020, 01:54 PM
xcvb1
Track Day

Default LED console

LED Lightshow

Now with Pic !
Tried also 12V green LEDs 5mm but found them to dark !

Last edited by xcvb1; 05-25-2020 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Additional info’s
Patrik Rens (08-29-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 02:04 PM
xcvb1
Track Day

Originally Posted by LPMM
Nice work but you could simply use B8.4D leds . I replaced all my dash lights with those, looks better IMO. I still need to do the center console ones which are a bit more involved.
I agree 100 % on the B8.4D LEDs! But I love to fumble and had LEDs in stock. They kinda need to go !
:-)

michael
Old 05-25-2020, 04:44 PM
xcvb1
Track Day

Default Lightshow

As promised here are pics at night !

Middle console with radio, CCU and all Switches! PS : for the radio I use a Bluetooth cassette adapter to connect with my phone. The results are amazing with the original speakers.

All lights working !
The following 2 users liked this post by xcvb1:
Jacke2c (05-26-2020), Patrik Rens (08-29-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 05:59 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 116 Posts

That gives new meaning to the Christmas Tree Effect! Did you crank the exposure or it is really that bright?
Old 05-26-2020, 01:04 AM
xcvb1
Track Day

Default Christmas tree

Originally Posted by RicardoD
That gives new meaning to the Christmas Tree Effect! Did you crank the exposure or it is really that bright?
didn’t crank but you never know what your phone camera does with the reality so to say. The instruments illumination is still all original !
Michael
Old 05-26-2020, 02:04 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 151 Posts

cool add on, in my personal opinion i don't think it fits the classic "ambiance" of the car & doesn't match all the other lights, but again if you like it, then good work
Old 05-26-2020, 02:27 AM
xcvb1
Track Day

Originally Posted by Tarek307
cool add on, in my personal opinion i don't think it fits the classic "ambiance" of the car & doesn't match all the other lights, but again if you like it, then good work
Agree, If it is too artificial... or with different colors, etc....
But to defend myself a bit: all lights were down anyway and the instrument cluster is still all original in means of the bulbs! That shows how bright even the orginal ones are and they are all 30 years old and still work!

michael
The following 2 users liked this post by xcvb1:
Jacke2c (05-26-2020), Tarek307 (05-26-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 12:03 PM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Thank you, I am sure in person driving they seem normal to a little brighter? I am curious about driving at night. Sometimes you get strange inner glass reflections form interior lighting. I remember several years ago, someone put a bilb into the headlight switch (there is a socket in there for a bulb) that night when he went driving, the reflection in the side window made him immediately pull it out it was so distracting. I like your mod. My question is; are they dimmable? Thanks in advance. Jack
Old 05-26-2020, 12:29 PM
xcvb1
Track Day

Originally Posted by Jacke2c
Thank you, I am sure in person driving they seem normal to a little brighter? I am curious about driving at night. Sometimes you get strange inner glass reflections form interior lighting. I remember several years ago, someone put a bilb into the headlight switch (there is a socket in there for a bulb) that night when he went driving, the reflection in the side window made him immediately pull it out it was so distracting. I like your mod. My question is; are they dimmable? Thanks in advance. Jack

The instrument cluster is fully dimmable and the CCU as well with the new LEDs even if I think not to the full extent (which is no surprise!).
The center console I didn't check but I think they are not dimmable! Are the center console lights dimmable on normal ?

Reflections: S-Class Merc V221 and V222 are a sort of desaster for a tall person! The reflections in the front and side window are that strong at night that the car is close not to be drivable. With the V222 it is a bit better since they used different color schemes for the speedo, etc.... In the V221 I used these grid foils for LCD screens to dimm the reflections down! The company admitted that they have simply overseen this issue for tall people and used grid foils in the end after a call back as well for all costumers that complained!
But there are other cars out that are worse at daylight as well and a lot of car companies that did a really good job also for the reflections of the dashboard at the windscreen with no glare at all!
Sometimes you loose, sometimes you don't win! ahahahahh

Porsche: I have the ROW model with the dead spare bulb in the light switch as well. (I believe there is a bulb in, always !) I think you need to bridge 56 with 56k at the connector plate or connector to let it shine! The US models have it onbaord right from delivery. Maybe some different safety regulations ? I may try one day but I can imagine that there is a lot of glare / reflections on the side window! It probably also depends how tall a person is how bothersome it will be! An alternative may be to place a less bright bulb in there and not necessarily a bright LED. etc....

michael

Jacke2c (05-26-2020)

Quick Reply: New LEDs in CCU 964 /993