Sponsored by:

Fan is blowing oil smoke...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2020, 09:13 PM
GoKart
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Fan is blowing oil smoke...

I am trying to find an oil leak in ‘94 C2.

I had thought it was coming from the passenger side lower valve cover gasket, so I replaced that yesterday.

I think it was actually leaking - and dripping oil onto the exhaust, making for some oil smoke. So that seems to be resolved, at least while stationary.

Today I had the car parked outside, started it and let it idle. I ran the interior fan at all speeds and did not seem to get any smoke.

When driving the car though, once the oil temp was up enough that the oil level was reflected in the gauge, the interior fan blew oil smoke whenever I pressed on the gas pedal. More pedal = more smoke. No pedal = little to no smoke.

Any ideas on where this could be coming from? It’s annoying for sure. Can’t drive the car like that.

Old 06-26-2020, 11:12 PM
GoKart
Rennlist Member

Wanted to add that the car has been parked now for about 2.5 hrs and there are no oil drips on the floor - so the lower valve cover was definitely leaking oil previously.

My 964 does sit ~5-6 months out of the year, unfortunately. I live up at ~8,000ft in the Rockies, the winters are long and cold, lots of snow, etc, so it doesn’t get driven in the winter at all. Not sure if that contributes.
Old 06-26-2020, 11:20 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 503 Likes on 346 Posts

Any chance you have oil deep into the heat exchanger as a result of the previous leak?
Old 06-26-2020, 11:30 PM
GoKart
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 95_993
Any chance you have oil deep into the heat exchanger as a result of the previous leak?

I’m not disagreeing with you - I’m just not really sure how that works. It makes sense. The heat exchanger sits right underneath the lower valve cover, which was definitely leaking.

So..... yes... ? Maybe?

How do I remedy that? Just drive it?
Old 06-27-2020, 12:44 AM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

A couple of thoughts... Did you take a look a the two red flexible tubes that connect the heat exchangers with the cross over tube in the back? If they are torn (mine were), oil can leak into the exchangers and the cross over tube. They are easy to fix and sit right under the the chain housing, a common leak area.
Another possible leak is from the oil lines going into the engine. They leak and drip on the heat exchangers and if the the car sits for a long time, oil finds its way into the exchangers. However, oil gets blown around under the car, so it could come from many sources.

You can take the exhaust off and clean them out - not technically difficult but the nuts are most likely badly rusted and there is a good chance you will break at least one of the studs.

You need to find your leaks though. The valve cover gaskets are just one of many possibilities.
Old 06-27-2020, 02:07 AM
GoKart
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cjoenck
A couple of thoughts... Did you take a look a the two red flexible tubes that connect the heat exchangers with the cross over tube in the back? If they are torn (mine were), oil can leak into the exchangers and the cross over tube. They are easy to fix and sit right under the the chain housing, a common leak area.
Another possible leak is from the oil lines going into the engine. They leak and drip on the heat exchangers and if the the car sits for a long time, oil finds its way into the exchangers. However, oil gets blown around under the car, so it could come from many sources.

You can take the exhaust off and clean them out - not technically difficult but the nuts are most likely badly rusted and there is a good chance you will break at least one of the studs.

You need to find your leaks though. The valve cover gaskets are just one of many possibilities.

Thank you.

I will check out the red tubes you mention.

I don’t have any leaks under the car now - would that be true if the red tubes were leaking?
Old 06-27-2020, 02:36 AM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 224 Posts

It doesn't take a lot of oil (or anything else) in the heat exchangers to create a fair amount of smoke in the the cabin.
Old 06-27-2020, 02:56 AM
GoKart
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spartansix
It doesn't take a lot of oil (or anything else) in the heat exchangers to create a fair amount of smoke in the the cabin.

If I drive the car long enough, can I burn that oil off?

Should not be any risk of it causing a fire, right?
Old 06-27-2020, 07:53 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 503 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by GoKart
If I drive the car long enough, can I burn that oil off?

Should not be any risk of it causing a fire, right?
If you had oil leaking on the exchanger for awhile, it can definitely find its way in.

It should eventually burn off and risk of fire is low...Mobil 1 has a high lash point.

Last edited by 95_993; 06-27-2020 at 07:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GoKart (06-27-2020)
Old 06-27-2020, 11:28 AM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I had the exact same problem with mine. It's from the cam drive for the power steering pump. Due to the location, the oil will drip straight into the heat exchanger and on start up I got smoke in the passenger side wheel well and in the cabin if the flaps were set for heat. Parts # 5 and 6 are your culprits.
Check HERE
The following users liked this post:
GoKart (06-27-2020)
Old 06-27-2020, 02:20 PM
GoKart
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by crg53
I had the exact same problem with mine. It's from the cam drive for the power steering pump. Due to the location, the oil will drip straight into the heat exchanger and on start up I got smoke in the passenger side wheel well and in the cabin if the flaps were set for heat. Parts # 5 and 6 are your culprits.
Check HERE

Are these DIY replaceable at home or is this an engine out kinda job?
Old 06-27-2020, 03:40 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You can do that at home with engine in the car. It's not that hard a job, been a while since I did it so not clear in my memory :-).

You have to take out the air cleaner, and then loosen the power steering pump, make sure not to remove all the bolts, as the pump will come apart. From underneath the car you take off a small piece of engine tin and the cover for the pump drive, then you can get to the bolts that hold the drive housing to the engine. Yeah, and you have to take the bottom pulley off as well. It's self explanatory when you get there, just look at the link I posted. Will try to see if I can find a DIY.

Here's a good DIY THIS
Old 06-27-2020, 10:56 PM
GoKart
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by crg53
You can do that at home with engine in the car. It's not that hard a job, been a while since I did it so not clear in my memory :-).

You have to take out the air cleaner, and then loosen the power steering pump, make sure not to remove all the bolts, as the pump will come apart. From underneath the car you take off a small piece of engine tin and the cover for the pump drive, then you can get to the bolts that hold the drive housing to the engine. Yeah, and you have to take the bottom pulley off as well. It's self explanatory when you get there, just look at the link I posted. Will try to see if I can find a DIY.

Here's a good DIY THIS

Awesome. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Fan is blowing oil smoke...