Sponsored by:

Help with Scantool – Test output feature

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 03:09 PM
MA7008O
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Help with Scantool – Test output feature

Hello there, hope you all are doing well.

I am in the need of some diagnosis in my car and the test output feature of Scantoll will be of great help.

Problem is that I never got it to work. I am using Tore’s interface and Scantool4.

Any ideas and help will be very much appreciated.

Sincerely,
Old 02-09-2021, 05:41 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 246 Posts

If I recall the scantool doesn't actuate stuff like the PDT, Hammer or other clones do. At least my Windows Scantool software + Tore interface do not seem to on my 1991 C4.

It is a very useful function - helped me figure out my injectors were not operating after a top end (I was borrowing a PDT)
Old 02-10-2021, 03:45 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 240 Posts

What is the problem with your Scantool/T-OBD installation?
Have you seen the Installation Manual we have made? It is very important reading to get it to work. The rather eldrely software needs some manual handling to work properly, especially the COM port settings.
The original Porsche diag tools mentions actuator activation as "Drive links" when connected to the on-board units.

The Drive links actuator activation is mostly limited by the version of the on-board units. An example is the Climate Control Unit, the early 964 CCU's with software version H00/H01 does not support Drive links at all. CCU versions H03/H04 and later does.
However, the Drive links function is not particulary well implemented in the software. As for the CCU, Scantool allows for a sequential actuator activation. Other more sophisticated diag tools allows for manipulation of a single actuator.
I am not sure if the sequential method is possible at all when connecting Scantool to the Motronic engine control unit. I have never tried.
Cheers,
Tore

Old 02-11-2021, 11:07 AM
MA7008O
Racer

Hello Tore,

No problem with the software configuration or interface connection; it is only that I am not able to perform the actuator activation, and I do not know why but, as you say, maybe it is related to the unit software.

Is there a way to check the unit software to see if this is the problem?

Thanks,
Old 02-11-2021, 03:18 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Great.
I have details on the Climate Control Units only, not Motronic.
Cheers,
T
Old 02-11-2021, 03:35 PM
MA7008O
Racer

Actually, I am more interested on the CCU that on the Motronic.

Any info besides what you mention above?

Thanks,
Old 02-11-2021, 04:06 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

CCU software version H03/H04 (with according hardware version) introduced many functions in the OBD interface such as readout of sensor values, front panel **** positions and actuator activation. There were few changes after this.
I am not sure how Scantool supports these, but guess it is limited.
Cheers,
T

Old 06-29-2021, 10:50 PM
machisono
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aloha All,

Apologies on jumping in on this aging thread. Iam attempting to use my older Scantool software on my Windows 10 laptop and am having difficulty changing the COMM port from 1 . The software is screaming Read Only. Is this older version compatible with 64 bit Win 10?

Thanks
Old 06-30-2021, 05:01 PM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

Yes, the current software version runs on Windows 10. When you say "the software" which file are you trying to edit? You can change the file attributes by right clicking on the file and the choose Properties. You can change permissions there.
Old 06-30-2021, 05:03 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 246 Posts

I made this work on windows 10 just yesterday. If you go to Tores site and download the latest zip he has updated instructions I rushed through it a bit and made all the mistakes he goes to pains to highlight. You have to copy the.ini file you have to make sure the port in device manager is using the correct driver and so on.
Old 07-03-2021, 01:34 AM
Advman89
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts

I got mine to work with a new Microsoft Surface Laptop. Had to manually install the the drivers for the serial port interface and things started clicking.

if the laptop goes to sleep, the software has a problem reconnecting and needed to be Restarted.

Good luck!
Old 09-19-2021, 03:47 PM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ToreB
What is the problem with your Scantool/T-OBD installation?
...The rather elderly software needs some manual handling to work properly, especially the COM port settings....
Tore
Is anyone aware of a new development effort for this very useful but a little old and maybe incomplete software? I think the tip drivers would love to see tip temp values in the actual value dialog for example. It would also be nice to add plotting values to the software. I know there is a separate software OBDPlot out the for that but an integrated solution would be nice.
Scantool is obviously free for non-commercial use but does anyone have the original source code to build on?
Just wondering.
Old 09-20-2021, 11:48 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by cjoenck
I think the tip drivers would love to see tip temp values in the actual value dialog for example.
You can just add those to the config file. All you need to know is the memory location inside the tip ECU...

Originally Posted by cjoenck
It would also be nice to add plotting values to the software. I know there is a separate software OBDPlot out the for that but an integrated solution would be nice.
Other than for temperature, the output response rate from the ECU is too slow to be of any use for plotting.
Old 09-20-2021, 02:50 PM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Received 143 Likes on 107 Posts

I have a question. Has anyone been able to read any trouble codes with the tool? When I first used the tool I did not have the Steve Wong chip installed. I basically used for Adaptation and it seem to connect fine. Most recently I tried to use it to try and pull a trouble code but no dice and it takes forever to connect to Motronic or others. I'm curious who else might have a steve wong chip and is able to connect.
Old 09-20-2021, 02:57 PM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Since the tool appears to read memory addresses directly, I could imagine that a Steve Wong or any other aftermarket chip may not work. Only way to really tell is use a data packet sniffer like Wireshark and compare data streams. I could be wrong of course but the tool works well for the oem chip.
The following users liked this post:
964Luftballoon (09-21-2021)

Quick Reply: Help with Scantool – Test output feature