Sponsored by:

d.moris hardtop

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 08:58 AM
gccch
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by seihackguei
Hello, just curious, what parts were you able to retain and reuse from the Cabriolet top? or did you all have to buy new gaskets/seals/support rails etc....?
The kit comes with all seals and mounting hardware except for the window seal. I was able to re-use those.
Old 08-08-2022, 03:26 PM
seihackguei
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by gccch
The kit comes with all seals and mounting hardware except for the window seal. I was able to re-use those.
Hey GCCCH, got it, yeah, I didn’t opt in for the optional “OEM Porsche Parts” that they offered me. I’m sourcing them from my local dealer, just curious if there are parts you’re able to reuse from your soft top to save some 🤑🤑.

I’m also curious, is there a gasket or rubber seal that goes between the hard top and the body of the car to make it weather proof?

thanks a lot, sorry for the billion questions
Old 08-08-2022, 04:28 PM
gccch
Racer

Hey GCCCH, got it, yeah, I didn’t opt in for the optional “OEM Porsche Parts” that they offered me. I’m sourcing them from my local dealer, just curious if there are parts you’re able to reuse from your soft top to save some 🤑🤑.

I’m also curious, is there a gasket or rubber seal that goes between the hard top and the body of the car to make it weather proof?

Yes there are seals. It's not very clear which surface to apply them to. My guys guessed right on one and wrong on the other, but it's easy enough to add or change the seals. It is pretty much water tight. Window seals are the most challenging I think. They can allow wind noise.
Old 09-08-2022, 11:02 AM
dsm
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

-----

Last edited by dsm; 09-10-2022 at 04:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DocTock993 (09-08-2022)
Old 09-08-2022, 12:47 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I sourced all the OEM Porsche Parts listed by DMorris from a USA Porsche supply house. It took quite a while to get them (in 2018) but were considerably less expensive than ordering (at that time) through DMorris.
Old 09-29-2022, 12:56 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts

Good morning

With the strong dollar vs Euro I am thinking again about D Morris hard top

Having to do it over again would you?
Can you list the parts you order from D Morris and the ones you sourced locally? With the strong dollar I am curious if D Morris has them just let them package

If I understand their parts list I will need

1. top
2. headliner
3. latches
4. glass and rubber seals

Anything else?
Old 09-29-2022, 02:35 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996AE
Good morning

Can you list the parts you order from D Morris and the ones you sourced locally? With the strong dollar I am curious if D Morris has them just let them package

1. top
2. headliner
3. latches

Anything else?

There is a full list provided by DMorris of all the OEM parts that are needed. (I believe I have posted an image of the list in a previous thread on the DMorris hard top topic)
It's basically a list of things that a normal coupe would need to seal around the rear & side windows.
Latches are custom and must be ordered with the top from DMorris and there are additional seals needed for the roofline and trunkline.
The headliner is plastic and part of the roof.
While the dollar is strong and a great time to buy the roof from France and source the OEM parts from DMorris or through a Porsche parts source (how I did it), you will be facing shipping charges that are much higher than when I imported in the past.
Old 09-29-2022, 09:30 PM
gccch
Racer

Originally Posted by 996AE
Good morning

1. top
2. headliner
3. latches

Anything else?
I would definitely do it again. I have taken the top off maybe three times. It looks great and has been trouble free.

I don't know how much you would save buying the parts separately. For me it was all unknown and I had little experience with Porsche so to minimize problems, confusion, wrong parts, etc. I ordered a complete kit.

The rear window seal (trim) is unique, as I understand it. That is the only part that gave me trouble and has been a disappointment but I think it is caused by my glass installer. The corners don't sit tight to the hardtop.
Old 10-04-2022, 05:54 AM
dsm
Intermediate

Anyone install the locating pegs? Top seems to be moving a bit. One lock keeps unlocking. One looks new and other old. Old one is unlocking. Probably bad lock. These J locks are ridiculously expensive. Pegs should positively locate top square on windshield. Wonder why D Moris didn’t add threaded inserts for pegs at factory? Top already has center punch molded in spot that needs to be drilled/tapped for pegs. Will be installing pins soon. Plan is to JB weld in m8x1 time-sert for pin threads.

Last edited by dsm; 10-04-2022 at 08:37 AM.
Old 10-04-2022, 05:59 AM
dsm
Intermediate

Anyone have trouble with closing door when door widow is all the way up? It’s like the top needs to be pushed toward back of the car to provide more clearance at rear side window rubber gasket(see yellow arrows)? It slightly touches the rubber here and gets past it to close but then it’s kinda stuck and will not open. Have not tried to force it open.

Old 10-04-2022, 06:13 AM
dsm
Intermediate

Some pics. Top looks great. Can't wait to add DP stripes to hide seam!

The following users liked this post:
pbl1 (04-10-2023)
Old 10-05-2022, 09:18 PM
gccch
Racer

Looks good. I haven't had any trouble with the window fit. Your latches are different than the 964 latch.
Old 05-23-2023, 07:37 AM
edvc520
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did anyone ordered these interior caps?
tried asking for pictures but they aren’t too helpful.
wondering if these are needed
Old 05-28-2023, 05:58 PM
gccch
Racer

Originally Posted by edvc520

Did anyone ordered these interior caps?
tried asking for pictures but they aren’t too helpful.
wondering if these are needed
Now that I see the description, yes, you want these. They are simple plastic covers that hide the front locks which are right above the sun visor. Two phillips screws hold them in place, but would be better if they were snap fit. The screw covers for the side frames I don't recall ordering as a separate item. I think these are the boomerang shaped fiberglass trims they sent covering the vertical and horizontal window frame on the interior. I left them sitting in the yard. Probably will toss them out someday.
Old 04-03-2024, 06:22 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Bringing up this old post:

Finally starting to look into getting my hard top installed and I "lost" ALL the files on installation when a laptop "bricked" during software upgrade.

Looking for:
- Official (poorly translated) D Morris instruction set
- Instruction set a 964/993 person created that REALLY was useful
- Any other helpful instructions other folks have created.

Thank you in advance!

Quick Reply: d.moris hardtop