Sponsored by:

d.moris hardtop

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 01:15 PM
gccch
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts
Default d.moris hardtop

Ordered today. Will post updates as it arrives and the process. By the time it comes my car should be mechanically sorted.

There really should be a local shop in the US that would act as a distributor for these. Maybe there is just not much volume?
Old 02-19-2021, 01:51 PM
P356GT
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You move fast with your project ;-)

which model did you choose?
GFK or carbonfiber?
did you ordered the built in rollbar?

I have been looking at these as well since I got lured by a seller two years back that had a OEM hardtop that he sold off to his buddy......
We had done a agreement and I was just to drive onboard the car train i Hamburg, Germany to go and pick it up in Austria when told ”ohh, I sold it off to my buddy!”
He knew I was on my way since I live in Sweden.
I wanted to transfer funds to him but he wanted cash so I had to buy euro notes.....but all in vain.

please keep me posted about you getting your hardtop :-)

cheerio
Old 02-19-2021, 01:54 PM
gccch
Racer

Originally Posted by P356GT
You move fast with your project ;-)

which model did you choose?
GFK or carbonfiber?
did you ordered the built in rollbar?

I have been looking at these as well since I got lured by a seller two years back that had a OEM hardtop that he sold off to his buddy......
We had done a agreement and I was just to drive onboard the car train i Hamburg, Germany to go and pick it up in Austria when told ”ohh, I sold it off to my buddy!”
He knew I was on my way since I live in Sweden.
I wanted to transfer funds to him but he wanted cash so I had to buy euro notes.....but all in vain.

please keep me posted about you getting your hardtop :-)

cheerio
I chose the base model, not carbonfiber. Not doing this for performance or racing, so no roll bar. It. takes 12 weeks plus prep time, so without an operational soft top I need to move quickly on this.
Old 02-19-2021, 04:12 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Seems an unusual choice for Miami, the land of top-down driving, no? I think these hardtops are a great option though. Now someone needs to make a Speedster-style clamshell cover so that you can unbolt the hardtop without the car looking completely wonky

Post lots of pics!
Old 02-19-2021, 07:00 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 224 Posts

d.moris makes speedster humps too, but you're going to bankrupt this guy with your good ideas
The following users liked this post:
gccch (02-19-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 10:54 PM
gccch
Racer

Originally Posted by -nick
Seems an unusual choice for Miami, the land of top-down driving, no? I think these hardtops are a great option though. Now someone needs to make a Speedster-style clamshell cover so that you can unbolt the hardtop without the car looking completely wonky

Post lots of pics!
it’s great in winter to have a topless car. But try driving slow highway traffic in 95 degrees with 95% humidity. Nothing fun about that!
0luke1 (03-27-2022)
Old 02-20-2021, 12:24 AM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Congrats, looking forward to your progress with it!
Old 05-23-2021, 02:22 PM
gccch
Racer

My top is ready for shipment! Wired the balance over on Friday and now I need to find a customs broker. I had thought it would come by ship but it will arrive to Miami Airport within a few days I understand. I don't know why I can't just go over there and fill out some forms and pay some fees, but they say it is "imperative" I provide them with my customs agent.
Ralph3. (05-23-2021)
Old 06-02-2021, 12:39 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Subscribed (from the 993 forum)

I too have imported a D Morris top along with all the OEM parts sourced separately from Porsche. Currently sitting in storage in the box in which it was shipped from France.
Very interested to follow your progress.
Do you have the separate instructions a fellow Rennlister/ Pelican member created?
Are you DIY this project or have you found a professional shop?

Last edited by DocTock993; 06-02-2021 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-02-2021, 02:44 PM
gccch
Racer

Originally Posted by DocTock993
Subscribed (from the 993 forum)

I too have imported a D Morris top along with all the OEM parts sourced separately from Porsche. Currently sitting in storage in the box in which it was shipped from France.
Very interested to follow your progress.
Do you have the separate instructions a fellow Rennlister/ Pelican member created?
Are you DIY this project or have you found a professional shop?
I have those instructions from here on the forum. My plan is to do the mechanical assembly then bring it to a good paint shop and they have a contact for installing the glass. I understand it is doable but for the cost of a professional install I won't worry about breaking the glass or leaks.
DocTock993 (06-02-2021)
Old 06-02-2021, 04:11 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by gccch
I have those instructions from here on the forum. My plan is to do the mechanical assembly then bring it to a good paint shop and they have a contact for installing the glass. I understand it is doable but for the cost of a professional install I won't worry about breaking the glass or leaks.
That had been my plan too - then I "lost" my garage...

One thing I remain concerned about = squeaking.
I read one comment in one thread about the top, I believe from a 964 install, regarding this issue.

I am very interested to follow your progress!
Old 06-03-2021, 10:38 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Speedster bubbles-

There are several places to obtain a Speedster bubble that will cover the back portion of the 964 when the hard top is removed. There are two problems presented when using the Speedster bubble cover. 1. The mounting hardware does not come with the bubble, there is no one that makes the hardware outside of OEM. Which means you pay more for the hardware than to bubble. I am currently looking at making the hardware, will post pictures if successful.
2. There is not alternative for a top when the speedster bubble is used. You need some kind of bikini top that mounts to the windshield, then a brace system to support the rear of the bikini top past the seat area. I have a roll bar installed that will function as the later, but have to figure out an easy way to fasten to the windshield short of destroying a full cab top just to get the windshield mount portion. Working on this as well, but it is a struggle to figure out design and function. The main problem here is that the bikini top must go back past ¾ of the speedster bubble as the design of the bubble lets water flow forward into the car rather than rearward and off on the car body.
Just adding my 2 cents. Will post pictures as I make progress.
Old 06-03-2021, 02:42 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

I’m hoping someone will add a couple hinges to one of these things

Old 06-16-2021, 10:25 PM
gccch
Racer

Hardtop has arrived! Have not opened the box yet... this weekend.
The following 4 users liked this post by gccch:
2000m2 (06-16-2021), Deserion (06-17-2021), DocTock993 (06-17-2021), omg516 (06-18-2021)
Old 06-18-2021, 01:29 PM
omg516
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't wait to see how it looks, definitely want to get one of these someday.

Quick Reply: d.moris hardtop