MAF kit from FVD (lb2)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 02:57 PM
anteuzer
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default MAF kit from FVD (lb2)

Hi guys !

I recently purchased a MAF kit with chip and air filter for my1992 C2 cab tiptronic. It is said to bring a better throttle response and more torque, this is what I'm looking for with the tiptronic transmission.
The kit is from FVD Germany and the modification on the motronic was made in their factory.

The kit fits perfectly on the car, easy installation in less than 30 minutes.

But when it comes to the running of the car, it is a complete disaster. The idle is rough, hunting, going from 800 to 1000rev/min and back in a terrible noise.
The car has now backfires downhill, even when idling, and is a Real pain to drive smoothly. When cruising at low RPM, the engine makes a horrible vibration noise and runs terrible.
​​​​​​
Do someone have a good experience with this kit or should I just send it back ?
​​​​​
thanks !
Alexis
Old 05-04-2021, 03:35 PM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

I bought their MAF kit last year, the instructions for the US are different than for Europe. It was an easy install and the car ran great, sharper throttle response with more power you could feel. My problem occurred off-throttle. Once the car warmed up, when I closed the throttle approaching a stop sign or running downhill, the fuel would shut off and when reapplying the throttle it would take two-to-three seconds to cough to life again. To FVDs credit, the owner, *****, and an engineer got on the phone with me four times to try and solve the problem. I had to take it to my mechanic to test and check things beyond my scope. Finally, after not finding a solution to the off-throttle problem I returned the parts for a refund. Apparently a 964 with a MAF conversion, regardless of manufacturer, may have the off-throttle problem I encountered. On-throttle the car was a blast and when I put my OEM back on, though it ran perfectly, it wasn't as sharp, fast, or fun to drive. I'm currently having a Motec Kit from Rasant installed because I couldn't get how well the car ran on-throttle with the MAF kit out of my head.
Though my problem was different than yours, I would call FVD and see if they will help you solve your problem, let them know upfront you will return the kit if the drivability problems can't be solved and get them to agree to it. Otherwise, send it back now.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:46 PM
anteuzer
Instructor

Thank you for your reply.
I called FVD, they told me this must be a problem on the vacuum system. According to the guy on the phone, a MAF is more sensitive to vacuum leaks than the standard AFM.
But I never noticed any trouble before fitting this kit... What could be the symptoms ?

Oh, and last but not least, he told me that they don't take this product back !
Old 05-04-2021, 07:37 PM
Sire
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I had installed an MAF not from FVD, but did made an custom chip, because every engine is different. The responce was great and never any problems.
The following users liked this post:
PAOLOP (05-05-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 10:25 PM
andy73
Instructor

Received 126 Likes on 51 Posts

I had similar issues.

Initial impressions of the MAF were highly favourable with increased throttle response and better drivability (so much so that I made a video about it). Performance on throttle was seemingly particularly improved.
But the more I drove the car, the more I began to experience. Cold starts were awful with the car requiring a few cranks to get going and warm starts had the car sounding really "cammy" like a race car for the first 60-90 seconds. The car developed a hesitation on downhill sections off-throttle.
We reached out to FVD to work with them on solutions but their answer was always the same - had nothing to do with the MAF or the chip. We looked at every alternative they suggested could be the cause, including vacuum system as suggested to you @anteuzer but found no issues. I'm not going to say unequivocally that the FVD MAF was the cause of the issues, as I don't believe that'd be fair. However, FVD's unwillingness to even entertain the notion that it was somehow related to the MAF and chip was the biggest disappointment.
Old 05-05-2021, 02:38 AM
anteuzer
Instructor

Thank you for your reply. This is the feeling I have, they do not put into question their kit, even if I had no trouble before it was installed.

Did you manage to have your motronic and chip back to how it was before ? I know they made some changes inside, and I hope they can reverse them.
Old 05-05-2021, 02:45 AM
andy73
Instructor

Originally Posted by anteuzer
Thank you for your reply. This is the feeling I have, they do not put into question their kit, even if I had no trouble before it was installed.

Did you manage to have your motronic and chip back to how it was before ? I know they made some changes inside, and I hope they can reverse them.
Everything is rereversable right? Nothing to stop you going back to your old chip and intake. I'll be making a change soon too.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:01 AM
anteuzer
Instructor

I still have the original intake, but my concern is about the dme. I hope that FVD can reverse what they dis inside the motronic.
Moreover, when I got the package, I noticed that they forgot to give me the original chip.

My concern is the car is japanese (with two probes on the exhaust), so I don't know if a random 964 C2 tiptronic chip will work.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:05 AM
andy73
Instructor

I still have the original intake, but my concern is about the dme. I hope that FVD can reverse what they dis inside the motronic.
Moreover, when I got the package, I noticed that they forgot to give me the original chip.

My concern is the car is japanese (with two probes on the exhaust), so I don't know if a random 964 C2 tiptronic chip will work.
Oh you sent your DME to FVD to install the chip? I don’t think they do anything inside the motronic, it’s just a chip install. Worst case, maybe get in touch with Steve Wong and get one of his chips.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:16 AM
anteuzer
Instructor

Yes, they offered to do it so that no mistake is made. They told me they had to jumper something inside, but I don't know what.

Great idea, I can contact him, thank you !
Old 05-05-2021, 03:37 AM
andy73
Instructor

Great idea, I can contact him, thank you !
That'd be worth it for sure but I'd also be asking FVD to supply the old chip.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:42 AM
Mikke_Possu
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by andy73
I don’t think they do anything inside the motronic, it’s just a chip install.
Yes they do. You have cut one pin inside of box and make jumper between them. I don't think system works properly without that modification.
I installed mine and car works really bad after installation. End up that HAL-sensor was broken. When fixed that, idle etc. started works as it should.

Last edited by Mikke_Possu; 05-06-2021 at 03:24 AM.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:51 AM
andy73
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mikke_Possu
Yes they do. You have cut two pin inside of box and make jumper between them. I don't think system works properly without that modification.
I installed mine and car works really bad after installation. End up that HAL-sensor was broken. When fixed that, idle etc. started works as it should.
Ah, good to know.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:23 AM
joerg65
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 46 Posts

I had similar issues.

Initial impressions of the MAF were highly favourable with increased throttle response and better drivability (so much so that I made a video about it). Performance on throttle was seemingly particularly improved.
But the more I drove the car, the more I began to experience. Cold starts were awful with the car requiring a few cranks to get going and warm starts had the car sounding really "cammy" like a race car for the first 60-90 seconds. The car developed a hesitation on downhill sections off-throttle.
We reached out to FVD to work with them on solutions but their answer was always the same - had nothing to do with the MAF or the chip. We looked at every alternative they suggested could be the cause, including vacuum system as suggested to you @anteuzer but found no issues. I'm not going to say unequivocally that the FVD MAF was the cause of the issues, as I don't believe that'd be fair. However, FVD's unwillingness to even entertain the notion that it was somehow related to the MAF and chip was the biggest disappointment.
Andy, are you still using the MAF or did you revert back to the AFM? I was seriously looking at this product but after reading this thread I think I’m going to stick with the stock AFM.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:29 AM
anteuzer
Instructor

That'd be worth it for sure but I'd also be asking FVD to supply the old chip.
I asked them to send it to me, I hope they did keep it though. I will let you know.

Originally Posted by Mikke_Possu
Yes they do. You have cut two pin inside of box and make jumper between them. I don't think system works properly without that modification.
Thanks, so there is a modification inside the box.

Originally Posted by joerg65
Andy, are you still using the MAF or did you revert back to the AFM? I was seriously looking at this product but after reading this thread I think I’m going to stick with the stock AFM.
Given what I am experiencing, I would advise you to stick with the AFM... But it's only my opinion.

Quick Reply: MAF kit from FVD (lb2)