Sponsored by:

New 964 owner! many questions!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2021, 09:46 PM
hgupta
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default New 964 owner! many questions!

I've been a Cayenne owner for many years, but finally ended up with a 1991 964 cabriolet C2. So far I love it! Here are some pics:

But I have some questions that I haven't been able to figure out.

First, I am missing that hides some of the convertible top mechanism. What's it called so I can buy a new one?

covertible top trim

Also, these carpet mats are rough.. but I can't find beige as an option. Where can I get beige mats (or how do I find what was original in the car).

Finally, this aftermarket radio has to go. It sounds awful, and has no features that I use. I am eyeballing the PCCM from Porsche? Has anyone tried it? The current system has big amps in the frunk. and probably no original wiring, so installing the PCCM will be difficult at best. I am sure the car audio shop will tell me that it is easier to stick with aftermarket. Thoughts?

Glad to be joining you all here!

The following 2 users liked this post by hgupta:
9SIX4-C4 (06-24-2021), mac109 (06-24-2021)
Old 06-23-2021, 10:56 PM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Welcome to the club.

https://www.porsche.com/filestore.as...letype=default

The PET is the parts catalog. It’ll have the numbers for the trim needed for the top header. As for radio, a lot of us here like the Continental units (available through Bergvill F/X). Some vendors may be able to source the floor mats, coco mats are also a good alternative.
Old 06-23-2021, 11:15 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Congrats on the 964, what a great color too!

Porsche has limited color options for the OE Mats, the only one that might work for your car is the dark blue if your dash is blue: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU964MATS.html

As noted, the Continental is a popular radio option as is the new Blaupunkt SQ46 or the Porsche PCCM. As our cars are fairly old I would check all the speakers too, most are cracked and failing.
Old 06-23-2021, 11:32 PM
Pasman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Color of the interior leather and mats are called cashmere. Lloyds has a great selection of mats

Last edited by Pasman; 06-24-2021 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-24-2021, 07:54 AM
GoatFarmer
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I have a cashmere interior also, but decided on black mats to match the dash and to eliminate risk of new mats not matching the cashmere carpet exactly. I went with Lloyds.
Old 06-24-2021, 12:09 PM
hgupta
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pasman
Color of the interior leather and mats is called cashmere. Lloyds has a great selection of mats
Thank you! I don't see cashmere as an option on their site. Do you know what the closest match would be? (choices are dark tan, light tan, and parchment).
Old 06-24-2021, 12:16 PM
bb964
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 192 Posts

Congrats and welcome!! - Awesome color!

I would also recommend the black matts to prevent the exact issue you are facing with the existing mats - black wears better and much easier to keep clean. Lloyds mats are good quality and are available in many colors, but as of this year, no longer available with the Porsche logo due to licensing restriction. If you want Porsche branded matts, factory ones are the only choice.

In addition to the radio choices mention above, there is also Porsche CDR-220 directly from Becker Autosound https://www.beckerautosound.com/radios-for-sale. They are factory, Porsche branded, match the interior and plug and play with an adapter from http://www.swstereo.com/. (only very basic Bluetooth integration on these, no CarPlay, USB, etc..)

Last edited by bb964; 06-24-2021 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-24-2021, 12:23 PM
Pasman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not 1000% sure, but it looks like the color saddle is what I have in my car. It matches perfectly.
Old 06-24-2021, 01:02 PM
Advman89
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts

Welcome to the club!

As for mats--I'm partial to CocoMats (Lloyds are nice too).

Radios...the new Porsche Classic radio does support Apple's Carplay--but that screen is tiny and frankly--too far out of my eyeline to be handy. I went with a Continental from Bergvill. I have my iphone mount near the center console (not great for visibility). There is also an option to delete the radio in the dash and go with a bluetooth interface and you control the volume from your phone. Probably would hook up with your amp in the Frunk. http://www.outofsightaudio.com/ If I would have known about that when I bought my headunit, i would have went with that and the a radio delete panel in the dash--only downside, no radio--which with the windshield antenna is no huge loss (depending where you are)--the reception isn't stellar.

Best of luck. Welcome to the club. Beautiful blue car you have there.
Old 06-24-2021, 05:47 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 634 Posts

that's horizon blue, yes? i love that color on the 964. wish there were more available in a C2 coupe.
congrats and enjoy!
Old 06-24-2021, 05:55 PM
gccch
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

I am also fairly new to this model and have the same year cab/tiptronic as you. I'm in the process of removing my convertible top to replace with a hardtop kit. Will likely part out the convertible for whatever is of value. The cover you are looking for is in mine and complete. So let me know if you are interested.

I also have a crap aftermarket radio. So far I'm dealing with bigger things. So keep us updated on what you choose please!
Old 06-24-2021, 05:57 PM
hgupta
Instructor

Originally Posted by Advman89
Welcome to the club!
There is also an option to delete the radio in the dash and go with a bluetooth interface and you control the volume from your phone. Probably would hook up with your amp in the Frunk..
Ooh! I forgot that this car already has aftermarket amps in the frunk with RCA in. It would be ridiculously easy to hook up a bluetooth receiver directly to the amps for audio.
Old 06-24-2021, 06:06 PM
hgupta
Instructor

Originally Posted by gccch
I am also fairly new to this model and have the same year cab/tiptronic as you. I'm in the process of removing my convertible top to replace with a hardtop kit. Will likely part out the convertible for whatever is of value. The cover you are looking for is in mine and complete. So let me know if you are interested.
Fantastic! I am very interested in buying that part from you! Also, I want to see pictures of your car. The tiny profile pic is so hard to see!
Old 06-24-2021, 06:09 PM
hgupta
Instructor

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
that's horizon blue, yes? i love that color on the 964. wish there were more available in a C2 coupe.
congrats and enjoy!
Yes, It is horizon blue. It is a gorgeous color. It needs a little bit of touch up work on it, but in general the paint is in pretty good shape.

And I did have my eyes on a similar blue targa that I wish I pulled the trigger on.
Old 06-24-2021, 10:28 PM
gccch
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by hgupta
Fantastic! I am very interested in buying that part from you! Also, I want to see pictures of your car. The tiny profile pic is so hard to see!
I will be posting more in the coming days as I install my hardtop kit. Send me a pm about the trim piece and I will share pics of that.

Quick Reply: New 964 owner! many questions!