Sponsored by:

saved from a back date - 92 C2

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 04:31 PM
Jeff Burger
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Default saved from a back date - 92 C2

I purchased a 1992 C2 5 speed as a major project 5 years ago from another pelican Porsche fan who for whatever reason decided to bail on the project. It had 111,xxx on the OD, did not have a motor and a major backdate had been started I put it in the back of the garage for a few years while I completed a couple other Porsche projects and a diversion with 3 early TVR’s.

I have been “playing” with porches for many years. It started when my father and I bought three model 356 projects back in the mid 70’s . After many years of 912’s and 911’s I purchased my first 964 and quickly became a e 964 fan. Over the years I’ve owned several C2’s , an RS America, raced a 964 Cup and a highly modified 90c2 race car in PCA. So it really wasn’t a hard decision to reverse the backdate mods that had been started and go back to a 964 body. However, the turbo flares welded on the rear begged for a a full wide body conversion. The welding and positioning appeared to be good, so I went with it. A 965 or 3.8 rs look would be great. While working on my other projects I started collecting original Porsche 965 (wide body) parts. Good used original parts where I could find them and new factory parts if I couldn’t. Sale of the backdate parts helped off- set the cost of a few of the 965 parts. The real challenge with this project was to not overdo it and ruin its streetability since I have no intention of putting it on a track.

Those of you sharp eyed original audio nuts will notice in the interior shot above the radio/ tape player is a blaupunkt stutgart. Contradicting some of the information I have seen on line, this was a factory option as identified in the paperwork that came with the car. Unfortunately, not unique to others, the tape deck does not function. I don’t have any cars with tape decks any more and I was looking forward to blowing the dust off the cassettes and listening to some of those classic tapes. I suppose its past time to throw them away.

After collecting the necessary factory parts and a good quality 3.8 wing, I started searching for the right place to finish the front flares and paint the car. Cobalt convinced me RSR auto was the place to go. Pino (the owner) was great to work with as I was able to do the disassembly and reassembly in his shop helping to keep control of the cost. I considered other options than the original slate grey metallic but in the end went with the original. I had him also paint a set of H-4 headlight trim rings and a stock rear lid . Prior to handing it off I decided to tackle the rocker attachment issue myself. , I added the holes and reliefs that needed to be added for the rocker mounting clips in order to save fab time (money) at the shop.

Last edited by Jeff Burger; 07-09-2021 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-08-2021, 05:14 PM
Jeff Burger
Rennlist Member

Motor- I had a stock 93 with l ow miles. I have had this motor squirreled away in my garage for about 15 years. It was a low milage motor I got from buying a salvage 93 at a copart auction that had been rolled. In need of a fresh engine I threw it in my cup car for pca club racing and unfortunately the stock valve springs were not up to the task with the higher rev limit on the cup brain and resulted in a DNF at Limerock. I did not do a post mortem on the motor till now and when I disassembled it I found number 6 had dropped a valve. I ended up splitting the case to make sure all the mess got cleaned up. I rebuilt it with new and rebuilt parts mostly from my stash including a light weight RS flywheel and clutch. So far I am happy with that choice but I have noticed it does take a little more concentration to get the car moving from a standstill.

Trans - Although the project came with a matching number limited Slip transmission, a boss on the front cover had been broken. Due to the timing of the find I ended up using a 90 trans with an LS that was a spare from my racing days. . I was able to purschase a replacement case piece and the trans and now it sits ready to go . I have been very happy with the stock shifter in my other 964, However the connecting universal needed repair or replacement on this car so I took the opportunity to switch to an FD Motorsport golden rod. I am not sure if they sent me the right one as mods were required to get the gear shift centered in the middle when it is in neutral.

Suspension -

I decided to move the front suspension to the outer mounting points like a 3.8 and turbo. . I went to FVD brombacher for the parts needed : 965 tie rod monoballs, new tie rod ends and ball joints. I also added a rothsport steering rack brace. If you look at the picture of the three mounting holes from the trunk side you can see Porsche uses a rubber cork to seal the unused hole and from the underside you can see where the extra hole was buried under the undercoating that needed to be remove prior to moving the suspension. I spun the top mounts 180 degrees to match, Moving the suspension out also required custom spacers and longer bolts to bridge the distance to support the brake M/C and vacuum booster.

The narrow body sway bar will not work with wider mounting point as the bend now interferes with the mounting. The turbo one should work but I was able to pry an original 5 position 24 mm RSR factory bar away from an old friend. It wasn’t cheap but he had been sitting on it for many years with no real future use in mind. I stayed with the stock rear sway bar . This decision is subject to change based on real world handling

For the suspension I used Cup Springs that came as extras with the project and nos cup shocks front and rear with stock top mounts.

The wheels are period correct BBS E28 magnesium 9 &11 x 18. I kept this set around from my racing days however I had to buy new outer rim halves (same as E88)as all of my race cars were narrow body. Tires are new Michelin pilot sports. Brakes are stock. With the stock motor and street use they will be more than adequate.

Ride height and allgnment - were set at RS spec Height was set at nominal plus

Frt 125 +3 mm

Rear 235 +5 mm

Aside from the Turbo flares bumpers and rockers the body has very few changes. Added is a set of cult- werks brake ducts replacing the fog lights and and cult- werks rsr/ turbo front splitter pieces. I had Pino paint the stock lid so I can switch back if I start feeling my age but for now it;s the 3.8 wing.

I installed a pad keeper in the engine compartment to help clean it up and added a cup car graphic on its edge as a nod to the motor that was blown in my cup car . or possibly because it just looked cool.

Initial impression is very good . I was concerned the suspension might be too stiff but so far I am pretty happy with the handling and ride. I have a punch list of non critical items to take care of as I feel like getting to them, but the plan is to drive it for a year get comfortable with it and then decide whether it is enough for a daily driver or if I can’t resist taking it to the next level .

Special thanks to Pino and Anthony C. (Cobalt) for their input and help.

Last edited by Jeff Burger; 07-09-2021 at 09:28 AM.
The following 8 users liked this post by Jeff Burger:
cobalt (07-09-2021), heliolps2 (07-09-2021), kos11-12 (07-10-2021), mac109 (07-09-2021), Metal Guru (07-11-2021), Sirenty (07-09-2021), TKO (08-10-2021), Vegas993 (07-08-2021) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-08-2021, 05:57 PM
smegman
Burning Brakes

Received 691 Likes on 298 Posts

Thank you for saving this car from another back date, looks great so far!
Old 07-08-2021, 06:46 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 119 Posts

Nice save!
Old 07-08-2021, 08:36 PM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 212 Posts

Nice work and car looks great
Old 07-08-2021, 10:15 PM
TKO
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 46 Posts

Very nice work!!!
Old 07-08-2021, 11:23 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 232 Posts

I need a Pino in my life.
Old 07-09-2021, 01:21 AM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 213 Posts

Very Impressive. Gotta love finding a use for parts you have sitting around. My wife always asks, "why are you keeping this?" This is living proof of the answer.
Old 07-09-2021, 01:50 AM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

Beautiful! Good for you for bringing a 964 from the brink of a backdate.
Old 07-09-2021, 02:11 AM
revolution993
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 66 Posts

Very nice i would of done the same.
Old 07-09-2021, 09:09 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,945 Likes on 1,177 Posts

Jeff,

So glad it is finally finished. Looks fantastic and I really like the E28's against the slate gray.

I guess there was some time to complete the work outside of golf. The question is what are your plans for the cobalt C2? Any future projects there?

I am slowly working on putting my C2 back together. Pino did an amazing job on the slick top and paintwork but sadly I tripped and dislocated my neck causing loss of feeling in my left hand so it is going slower than I had hopped. No track time till I get this fixed which is bumming me out but not worth taking risks to drive. Maybe we can find some time to meet up I would love to see the finished project in person.

Drive it in good health
Old 07-09-2021, 09:17 AM
Jeff Burger
Rennlist Member

thanks everyone . Jpoint - , I dont think another project is in my future so I have started to divest myself of parts that I know I am not going to need as backups for my current cars, further proving to my wife that I wont be on a future edition of the tv show "hoarders"
Old 07-09-2021, 09:25 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,945 Likes on 1,177 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Burger
thanks everyone . Jpoint - , I dont think another project is in my future so I have started to divest myself of parts that I know I am not going to need as backups for my current cars, further proving to my wife that I wont be on a future edition of the tv show "hoarders"

Let me know my wife is OK with being a hoarder LOL
Old 07-09-2021, 09:50 AM
Jeff Burger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
Jeff,

So glad it is finally finished. Looks fantastic and I really like the E28's against the slate gray.

I guess there was some time to complete the work outside of golf. The question is what are your plans for the cobalt C2? Any future projects there?

I am slowly working on putting my C2 back together. Pino did an amazing job on the slick top and paintwork but sadly I tripped and dislocated my neck causing loss of feeling in my left hand so it is going slower than I had hopped. No track time till I get this fixed which is bumming me out but not worth taking risks to drive. Maybe we can find some time to meet up I would love to see the finished project in person.

Drive it in good health
Anthony sorry about your setback - get well soon I will be in touch. My Colbalt C2 has 245 K on it and it was marking its territory too much over the winter. When I fired it up this spring it was smoking like a chimney and didn't burn off forcing me to sideline it for engine removal and reseal.
Old 07-09-2021, 10:04 AM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 273 Posts

Wow, the car looks great. Would you mind sharing where you found the rear spoiler? I have one, but the fit is not as good as yours.

Mr. Wolfe

Quick Reply: saved from a back date - 92 C2