Sponsored by:

964 cup pipe

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2023, 12:28 PM
egrossman
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by RSA964993
Meaning a clip with the stock secondary/final muffler?

I don’t have that but my videos above are a 200Cell CAT, Cup Pipe and the final is a J pipe. It’s pretty loud when your right foot is in it. Otherwise it sounds great at low RPMs. Plan is to get a Fister for the final.
Yes, looking for 200 (or 100) cell cat with cup pipe and OEM secondary/final. I want a little more volume but not crazy loud
Old 11-15-2023, 02:34 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 973 Likes on 634 Posts

i finally got my bypass pipe on, but haven't had a chance to record anything really. i did one start up video, but it's low key with no high revs. the car is still up on the lift, but i will get it down in the next couple of days and get a decent sound video.

this is bypass, cup pipe, and fister.

The following users liked this post:
tct118 (11-16-2023)
Old 11-16-2023, 11:59 AM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
see post #85 for my initial impressions of the stock cat/cup pipe/fister. i mentioned i may have to live with it for a while and keep it in that configuration. well, that didn't last too long. it didn't take long for me to feel it had lost a bit of the raucous character i really like. i like my cars to be a bit of an event when i drive them.

for that reason, i couldn't resist grabbing one of these from FVD to see what the result was. it's not on the car yet, but it's the next step. impressions to come...

I've got the Fabspeed version of this sitting as well. Currently running 200 cell, "custom" cup pipe with resonator welded in, and G / J / Swan neck to finish. Sound is perfect for me as is, but I love playing with the setups, so went ahead and snagged the bypass. Will similarly post clips when installed for comparisons.
Old 11-16-2023, 12:52 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jreifler
I've got the Fabspeed version of this sitting as well. Currently running 200 cell, "custom" cup pipe with resonator welded in, and G / J / Swan neck to finish. Sound is perfect for me as is, but I love playing with the setups, so went ahead and snagged the bypass. Will similarly post clips when installed for comparisons.
with the 3 variables, there's endless tuning possibilities on the exhaust and i'm not even adding headers to the mix. i still think the 100 or 200 cell cat is probably the ideal cat option.

Old 11-17-2023, 12:41 PM
edvc520
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Recently did the cat bypass as well..
love the sound but not the smell
Old 12-05-2023, 07:19 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

so, i still do not have a driving video with the cat bypass, but i do know that the cat bypass is quite loud with a deep tone that lacks some of the 911 character. once you spin it up, that 911 growl comes out and it sounds rather good. volume at idle is loud - a bit too loud.

the sweet spot for me is definitely in the 100-200 cell range. i'll be on the look out for one or possibly grab the fabspeed unit, as all others just seem unnecessarily expensive. the other option would be to buy a HJS cat and weld it into the bypass pipe.

oh, and the smell... it's rather bad. my 951 has a cat delete and it doesn't smell anywhere near as bad as the 964.

here's the cold start video i initially took. the tone in the video is good - it relays how it sounds rather well. it does not relay the volume you hear if you were standing next to the phone.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_6053.MOV (11.17 MB, 26 views)
cobracarrera (12-07-2023)
Old 12-05-2023, 09:28 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

so, i still do not have a driving video with the cat bypass, but i do know that the cat bypass is quite loud with a deep tone that lacks some of the 911 character. once you spin it up, that 911 growl comes out and it sounds rather good. volume at idle is loud - a bit too loud.

the sweet spot for me is definitely in the 100-200 cell range. i'll be on the look out for one or possibly grab the fabspeed unit, as all others just seem unnecessarily expensive. the other option would be to buy a HJS cat and weld it into the bypass pipe.

oh, and the smell... it's rather bad. my 951 has a cat delete and it doesn't smell anywhere near as bad as the 964.

here's the cold start video i initially took. the tone in the video is good - it relays how it sounds rather well. it does not relay the volume you hear if you were standing next to the phone.
I added the Fabspeed bypass, and it added back a little more grunt and anger from the 200 cell / FrankenCup / G pipe. At first I thought it would be too much, but it settled in. Not terrible, but then again my variables are all thrown because of the FrankenCup with the 4” resonator welded in. That is by far the best thing I’ve done. It’s so close to perfect. Really tames the system without the need to add back a secondary. Highly recommend if you can weld or have access to a welder.

I will say the smell of the Fabspeed bypass is pretty intense. That may be the thing that nudges me back to the Fabspeed 200 cell. We’ll see. Loving it for now. Will try to get another sound clip up with the bypass installed.

Old 12-06-2023, 09:05 PM
Balisong
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

I don’t notice additional odor from the cat bypass but I run non ethanol premium (93) and I have a FVD chip tuned for that octane.
Old 12-07-2023, 08:11 AM
cobracarrera
Pro

OMG...sounds incredible......love the sound of the slight rev you did as well.......There is a local car with the same set up and I have heard it in person...A bit loud like you mentioned but do-able.........I am used to having a bit louder exhaust on my vehicle's.... At least it is not obnoxious like the Borla ATTACK system you are hearing on every modern muscle car now......I love modified exhausts but that set up is obnoxious and doesn't even sound good.... sound's sloppy
Old 12-07-2023, 08:14 AM
No_snivelling
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 130 Posts

For testing purposes I am running a gutted cat and the smell is intense. I use only non ethanol V-Power Shell premium fuel.

On a recent PCA run, the couple in the Targa behind me told me that even at highway speeds they had to adjust their following distance to avoid the smell.
Now that my testing phase is over, I am going back to the OEM cat when I do my winter maintenance.
Old 12-07-2023, 08:31 AM
cobracarrera
Pro

Originally Posted by No_snivelling
For testing purposes I am running a gutted cat and the smell is intense. I use only non ethanol V-Power Shell premium fuel.

On a recent PCA run, the couple in the Targa behind me told me that even at highway speeds they had to adjust their following distance to avoid the smell.
Now that my testing phase is over, I am going back to the OEM cat when I do my winter maintenance.
Do you think running an aftermarket cat like Fabspeed will have a rich running issue as well?
Old 12-07-2023, 08:37 AM
No_snivelling
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by cobracarrera
Do you think running an aftermarket cat like Fabspeed will have a rich running issue as well?
I really don't know if running rich is the cause of the smell, if that is what you meant. I think a proper cat uses a chemical reaction to change the chemistry of the exhaust fumes.
cobracarrera (12-07-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 09:05 AM
cobracarrera
Pro

Originally Posted by No_snivelling
I really don't know if running rich is the cause of the smell, if that is what you meant. I think a proper cat uses a chemical reaction to change the chemistry of the exhaust fumes.

When I was running my other cars without cats (1988 Mustang GT - drag car)...you could smell the strong exhaust fumes.....Especially since I had high compression engine and running premium fuel as it was required anyway....

I want to update my exhaust on my C2 but hearing from many on this post, running a cat bypass causes strong exhaust smell and possible may need a chip to go along with the install......I may just update to a 100 or 200 cell cat as I already have the primary bypass..... Thank You for the reply back.....
Old 12-07-2023, 12:50 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobracarrera
OMG...sounds incredible......love the sound of the slight rev you did as well.......
now, take the sound you hear and add another 30% in volume. the video simply cannot replicate the actual sound. the tone is right, the volume is not.

on the road, above 4k, it's music. below 3500, it's a bit too bassy and lacking that porsche character, imo. if i had them available, i'd love to hear a 100 cell and 200 cell for comparison. if the sound was a bit more refined, a bit less aggressive, and it removed the smell - i'd have perfection, i think.

Old 12-07-2023, 12:57 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

now, take the sound you hear and add another 30% in volume. the video simply cannot replicate the actual sound. the tone is right, the volume is not.

on the road, above 4k, it's music. below 3500, it's a bit too bassy and lacking that porsche character, imo. if i had them available, i'd love to hear a 100 cell and 200 cell for comparison. if the sound was a bit more refined, a bit less aggressive, and it removed the smell - i'd have perfection, i think.
So, you might really like the Cup + Resonator + 200 cell. Your descriptions were also my primary complaints of straight cup + G pipe + any cat combo. Too gruff and unrefined down low; not characteristic flat 6. Amazing past 4k. Awesome decel sounds up high, but obnoxious backfires down low.

See what you think of these. This is Cup + resonator + 200 cell Fabspeed + G pipe.

No_snivelling (12-07-2023)

Quick Reply: 964 cup pipe