Sponsored by:

FVD Intake and Chip

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2021, 09:16 AM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts
Default FVD Intake and Chip

Ok I ordered it mainly bc the guys at Rothsport praised it pretty hard. Any words of wisdom as I wait for its arrival about install etc.
Old 11-09-2021, 09:47 AM
NACHTBLAU
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Goodluck, from my research it either works great for people or creates headaches. Hopefully your experience will be in the former group. When I considered this earlier this year I reached out to Steve Wong as I have his chip and am very happy with the performance and how it works with the LWFW I have. Here is what he told me:

"In extensive dyno testing and tuning, there is no extra power to be gained from a MAF on the 964, not even 2 hp at full throttle at 7000 rpm. In addition, you need special chip software to go along with any different sensor, as all MAF sensors have their own unique signal output that does not match the original meter, so each chip needs to be tailored to each specific sensor. My chip, or anyone else’s chip, or even factory will not work with a MAF sensor. In addition, most all the aftermarket MAF sensor kits sold now and in the past have had lots of issues, both when new, and longer term as they age. Kits such as from Autothority and FVD. Cold start and drivability issues, and inconsistent power. I’ve had to help countless 964 owners revert their aftermarket MAF car (usually FVD) back to the stock meter system, undoing the ECU modifications and sourcing them a replacement factory meter and provide them the chip software, only to solve all their running issues and make even more power than before. So my suggestion is to leave it alone and if you have $2500 to burn, spend it somewhere else."

Probably not what you wanted to hear but hopefully FVD has sorted things out and at least this way to go into it with eyes wide open. I did also read some reviews here with folks who had good experiences with the MAF kits so hopefully yours will work out.

Best,
Ryan

Last edited by NACHTBLAU; 11-09-2021 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-09-2021, 11:40 AM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NACHTBLAU
Goodluck, from my research it either works great for people or creates headaches. Hopefully your experience will be in the former group. When I considered this earlier this year I reached out to Steve Wong as I have his chip and am very happy with the performance and how it works with the LWFW I have. Here is what he told me:

"In extensive dyno testing and tuning, there is no extra power to be gained from a MAF on the 964, not even 2 hp at full throttle at 7000 rpm. In addition, you need special chip software to go along with any different sensor, as all MAF sensors have their own unique signal output that does not match the original meter, so each chip needs to be tailored to each specific sensor. My chip, or anyone else’s chip, or even factory will not work with a MAF sensor. In addition, most all the aftermarket MAF sensor kits sold now and in the past have had lots of issues, both when new, and longer term as they age. Kits such as from Autothority and FVD. Cold start and drivability issues, and inconsistent power. I’ve had to help countless 964 owners revert their aftermarket MAF car (usually FVD) back to the stock meter system, undoing the ECU modifications and sourcing them a replacement factory meter and provide them the chip software, only to solve all their running issues and make even more power than before. So my suggestion is to leave it alone and if you have $2500 to burn, spend it somewhere else."

Probably not what you wanted to hear but hopefully FVD has sorted things out and at least this way to go into it with eyes wide open. I did also read some reviews here with folks who had good experiences with the MAF kits so hopefully yours will work out.

Best,
Ryan
Probably sage advice. Confusing though bc Rothsport is a big fan of this mod and I do appreciate their perspective on this as well.
Old 11-09-2021, 04:19 PM
kylejohnston1
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I purchased one of these used and have been incredibly pleased with it:

http://www.vitesseracing.com/html/91..._air_flow.html

My factory AFM was in need of a rebuild (worn contacts) so I took a chance on the Vitesse MAF kit and I'm so glad I did. No affiliation...just wanted to share my input. Vitesse is quite popular over on the 944 board.
Old 11-10-2021, 11:07 AM
parkertseng
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am sure with MAF together with a CHIP meant with remapped ECU.
So I think the result will be quite different.
Looking forward from your positive review.
I am planning for this as well.
Old 11-10-2021, 11:16 AM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by parkertseng
I am sure with MAF together with a CHIP meant with remapped ECU.
So I think the result will be quite different.
Looking forward from your positive review.
I am planning for this as well.
My C4 widebody is going in for a Patrick Motorsport LWF/Clutch kit, 200 Cell Cat and Rothsport crank pully (damper delete). Should aid in moving HP to the wheels. If we can up the HP with a very smooth idling result, should be a major improvement on an already strong running engine. FVD programs the chip with these changes plus 92 octane. Fingers crossed.
Old 11-10-2021, 12:49 PM
PAOLOP
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My friend and I have been running MAFs on our 964s (me Cargraphic, he FVD) since 2000. No problem at all
Old 11-11-2021, 02:08 PM
minhnugen
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I'm currently running the FVD MAF kit with their chip. It's been a year and have no issues. I have race headers and sport exhaust so having the MAF takes full advantage of the setup. The sound and low-end torque is pretty sweet. Especially, a little pop and snarl it'll give your exhaust sound during downshift. Beautiful C4 Widebody you got btw, having fun with modding it.
Old 11-11-2021, 11:42 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by minhnugen
I'm currently running the FVD MAF kit with their chip. It's been a year and have no issues. I have race headers and sport exhaust so having the MAF takes full advantage of the setup. The sound and low-end torque is pretty sweet. Especially, a little pop and snarl it'll give your exhaust sound during downshift. Beautiful C4 Widebody you got btw, having fun with modding it.
Good to hear! Can you give me any ideas on performance gains?
Old 11-12-2021, 03:28 PM
minhnugen
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I don't dyno the car, but my *** tells me it's a bit more responsive.
If you're just doing the MAF alone, I doubt you feel much gain (difference). It's more of a combo with an unrestricted exhaust system.

Quick Reply: FVD Intake and Chip