Sponsored by:

964 / RS America Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2021, 11:47 PM
zero9nine
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 964 / RS America Tires

I'm looking to replace the tires on my RS America. My Certificate of Authenticity States that my car originally came with Michelins.

Currently, the Tire Rack only offers the Michelin "Pilot Sport All Season 4", Ultra High Performance All Season. Would these be a comparable tire to what came on the RS America originally?

Thanks
John

Last edited by zero9nine; 12-26-2021 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12-27-2021, 09:33 AM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by zero9nine
I'm looking to replace the tires on my RS America. My Certificate of Authenticity States that my car originally came with Michelins.

Currently, the Tire Rack only offers the Michelin "Pilot Sport All Season 4", Ultra High Performance All Season. Would these be a comparable tire to what came on the RS America originally?

Thanks
John
I am seeing three max performance summer options.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...erformance=ALL

The Pirelli is N Spec. I would go with one of the three choices rather than an all-season.

Last edited by BGLeduc; 12-27-2021 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-27-2021, 11:28 AM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Choice of tires depends on what you use your car for, and where you live as well. If you give us that information, we can better guide you in the right direction.
Old 12-27-2021, 11:59 AM
964TURBOCHAS
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

I just put a set of Bridgestone Potenza S-02's on mine. Found them at Discount Wheel Warehouse.....800-901-6003 (ask for Manny)
Old 12-28-2021, 12:06 AM
0luke1
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 152 Posts

You could buy pirellis - then you can save money on exhaust and sound system since you won’t be able to hear anything over the roar of the tires.
Old 12-28-2021, 09:21 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

You didn't say what diameter the wheels are, I am guessing 17 in?
Old 01-03-2022, 02:36 AM
zero9nine
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the responses.

The car is only used in the Summer and never in rain and therefore I do not need any aggressive "sport" tires.

I'd like to stay with Michelins since they are the brand on the car when it was delivered from the factory.

Old 01-03-2022, 06:46 AM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The car is only used in the Summer and never in rain and therefore I do not need any aggressive "sport" tires.

I'd like to stay with Michelins since they are the brand on the car when it was delivered from the factory.
Michelins would be a good choice; however, why not contact a dealer and ask about Porsche Approved tyres. See the following extract from the UK website:
"Porsche carries out intensive tire development and testing and regularly issues lists of manufacturer-approved summer and winter tires for all new vehicles. However, tire design as well as tread patterns and rubber compounds change over time; tire types are discontinued and new tires come onto the market.
Tires are the sole connection between your Porsche and the road. They transfer the high power of the Porsche car to the road surface. And they make an important contribution to your safety – not least when braking.
In order to recommend tires to drivers of Porsche Classic cars, Porsche also publishes lists of approved tires for vintage cars and recent classics at regular intervals. For this purpose, more than 150 different sets of tires are tested in a wide variety of disciplines, on the relevant original vehicles.
To find out which tyres Porsche has developed and approved for your vehicles, please contact your Porsche Centre."
Old 01-03-2022, 05:52 PM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 317 Posts

I'm a little confused. You only use it in the summer and avoid rain - that's exactly the right scenario for having aggressive sport tires...

If you go OEM sizes, the only Michelins I know of are the all-seasons, which are fine, but wouldn't be my first choice. They're a little loud and they don't offer fantastic dry grip.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...erformance=ALL

I would go with the Conti extreme contact sports personally. I love Michelin tires but they just don't make good tires in the OEM sizes IMO. I would much rather have a better tire with better performance than stick with the OEM manufacturer. And trust me, I DD a 991.2 GT3 with Michelin Cup 2s on it (including in the rain, which is... interesting) so I would love to put those or PS4S on my 964, but they just don't make sizes that fit right IMO. I know others have squished on some PS4S so maybe they can give better advice than I can.
The following users liked this post:
crg53 (01-04-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 07:06 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 64 Posts

OP,

FTR the TR “max performance summer” category is certainly a sporting tire, but not an overly aggressive option at all. It is one TR category down from “extreme performance summer” which is where the hard core AX street tires live.

Max Performance Summer is where the N Spec OEM Michelins would be, if they made them in the proper size. Your call, but I don’t think many would opt for an A/S tire on an RSA if you only plan to drive in summer and not in rain.
Old 01-03-2022, 07:20 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 973 Likes on 634 Posts

your car may have been delivered with michelins nearly 30 years ago, but that's no reason to think you must stick with michelins at this point. buy michelins if you want michelins for what they are.

there are plenty of very good tires out there that will perform just fine on an RSA. i see someone mentioned the Conti ExtremeContact Sports and i just opted for those for my GT3. go to tirerack, do a little shopping, and compare brands and costs.

also, as someone else mentioned, if no rain and only summer why would you not need an aggressive sport tire??
The following users liked this post:
darylbowden (01-04-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 08:35 PM
georgej
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 41 Posts

This summer I had new ROW (lower) springs and Bilstein shocks installed plus corner balancing. My mechanic noted the (Dunlop 2016/2017) tires were old and should be replaced. He went to order Michelin PS2 and found they were back ordered by three months. I ended up buying the Conti Extreme Contact Sports. I pretty much only drive on nice days so all weather is not an issue. Like many comments I have seen subsequently these are a good choice.
Old 01-03-2022, 09:21 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 224 Posts

Also on the Conti Extreme Contact Sport. It's a German tire for a German car!
Old 01-06-2022, 05:17 AM
alidonkaka
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi

I'm a little perplexed. You just use it in the summer and stay out of the rain - that's the ideal situation for aggressive sport tires...
turkish citizenship
The only Michelins I'm aware of in OEM sizes are the all-seasons, which are acceptable but wouldn't be my first pick. They're a little noisy, and the dry grip isn't great.

Last edited by alidonkaka; 01-10-2022 at 04:46 AM.
Old 01-09-2022, 10:55 PM
andy73
Instructor

Received 126 Likes on 51 Posts

If the car is on the Original cup 1's and you want Michelins, you'll need a mix of PS3 and PS2 as neither option is available in both front and rear sizes. I ran my Cups like this and was very happy with performance and comfort etc.

Quick Reply: 964 / RS America Tires