Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the simplest way to drain the fuel tank?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2022, 01:14 PM
Mark Brook
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Whats the simplest way to drain the fuel tank?

The title says it all really, my fuel is old and the level is really low, (almost on red on the gauge) so while my car isn't running and is on axle stands, I thought I should drain the tank and
remove 'old fuel' from the equation regarding poor running.

I've read that some guys have pumped it out from the filler, others have pumped it out from the hose entering the fuel filter and others have let it out of the tank from the bottom. What I really need is
a good explanation of how to tackle the job in the simplest way, with least chance of spilling or torching myself or the car!

As usual, any advice gratefully received!

Mark 90 C2
Old 01-13-2022, 01:22 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 272 Likes on 159 Posts

I used a hand pump stuck in hole for the level sensor you can get the suction end down in the sump where the suction for the fuel pump is

Last edited by JohnK964; 01-13-2022 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-13-2022, 01:24 PM
No_snivelling
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 130 Posts

Hi Mark,
I'm sure others will chime in, but likely one of the safer ways of doing this is to remove the fuel level sender and pumping out from there. The sender is located directly above the "well" which is the lowest part of the 964 fuel tank.
Cheers,
Tom
Old 01-13-2022, 01:59 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 213 Posts

I removed the fuel filter, put a piece of fuel hose on the fuel line and pumped the gas out using a fused jumper on the fuel pump relay. In my case the fuel had been in the car for over 8 years so I started with a fuel tank cleaner and a little added fresh fuel. In the picture you can see the fuel that came out of the tank with the first round of fuel tank cleaner on the right, the fuel that came out in the second "rinse" with fuel tank cleaner and more fresh gas, and the fuel that came out before I put the filter back on and drove the car. The nice thing about this method is I also got the old fuel out of the fuel lines and cleaned them too. I replaced the fuel pump before I started (it was not operating) and was replacing the engine fuel lines (as I had a leak). I also put a new fuel filter on since I had the old one in my hand. The fuel tank cleaner I used did a nice job without having to remove the tank. Your experience should be easier.

Last edited by jpoint; 01-13-2022 at 02:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kos11-12 (01-13-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 03:39 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

disconect the back hose fom the back of the fuel filter, plug a very long hose tight by hose clip, make 2 long very very long wires ( red and black) fit connectors at the wires.
take a batterie near the tank, not to near tho, , put the hose in jerry can, again the hose needs to be very long ;
remove the DME , the red wire goes to a possition (I can't remmeber off my head) and the positive battery the black to any negative of the car,
the other end of the red in the battery , then off you go, touch the negatif with the black wire and the pump will do the work.

Old 01-13-2022, 11:21 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Brook
The title says it all really, my fuel is old and the level is really low, (almost on red on the gauge) so while my car isn't running and is on axle stands, I thought I should drain the tank and
remove 'old fuel' from the equation regarding poor running.

I've read that some guys have pumped it out from the filler, others have pumped it out from the hose entering the fuel filter and others have let it out of the tank from the bottom. What I really need is
a good explanation of how to tackle the job in the simplest way, with least chance of spilling or torching myself or the car!

As usual, any advice gratefully received!

Mark 90 C2
Since your car is up on stands, you could use gravity to drain the tank:
(1) remove the fuel pump cover
(2) clamp the hose shut that runs from the fuel tank to the fuel pump with a pair of needle nose vice grips.
(3) remove the hose from the fuel pump
(4) stick the hose in a pan or small jerry can
(5) use the vice grips to control the flow of fuel so that if you fill one container up, you can shut the flow off while you pull another container into position
Old 01-13-2022, 11:33 PM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 123 Posts

Remove sender. Run a vent hose from inside tank (down as far to the bottom as you can get it) out and down to container sat on driveway.
Push compressed air hose into tank thro same hole, not too far.
Pack rags around the two hoses where they enter the sender hole, air tight if possible.
Start compressor at zero air pressure and work up slowly. Stop raising pressure when flow starts into container on floor.
I just did it and enjoyed the laziness of it.
Normal precautions when working around gas...
Old 01-14-2022, 06:54 AM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

Received 143 Likes on 74 Posts

disconnect the hose from the fuel-filter in the rear, make an adaptor hose (AN/Metric fittings) and connect this to the pressure side of the fuel system. Put the loose end of the hose to your fuel-can and place the can, where you want to pump the fuel in, with a proper long hose outside of the garage.
Then just feed the fuel pump over the the fuse socket with 12V of the car battery.

In the time, when i was working as a car mechanic more than 20 years ago, a colleague of mine had a fire/explosion accident during handling with a small amount of fuel near his face and will remember this day for the rest of his life... Therefore i am quite sensitive and careful when working with more than a shot glass of fuel...
Old 01-14-2022, 09:27 AM
ffc
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I used something like this through the level sender opening on the top of the tank.

Amazon Amazon
Old 01-15-2022, 05:40 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I have also done it this way, the clamp is important. Don't have any ignition sources like a hot light bulb n ear by.
Old 01-16-2022, 09:10 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 370 Posts

I would suggest both methods for your situation.

First syphon from up top as others have suggested. This is quick and easy, but it will still leave you with a few gallons of gas. If you have bad gas, you want to drain all of it.

So as Metal Guru suggests, go below and disconnect the fuel pump to drain the rest. Be sure to turn off any heat lamps, and stick to LED lights to be safe. I removed the gas tank from my 964 last winter and this is not a very difficult process.
Old 01-17-2022, 09:32 AM
No_snivelling
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 130 Posts

I removed my gas tank and found it was surprisingly easy. Once it was out, it gave me a chance to replace the fuel hoses at the bottom of the tank. I also replaced the nylon mesh in-tank fuel filter that had started to disintegrate.
Removing the tank also gave me the best way to flush out the sludge that I discovered in the bottom of the tank. Might be worth considering.

Quick Reply: Whats the simplest way to drain the fuel tank?