Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Inherited a 1990 Porsche Carrera 4 What should I do or know?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 02:22 AM
NotCarCarGuy
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I Inherited a 1990 Porsche Carrera 4 What should I do or know?

To preface this I am not a car guy nor was raised as a car guy, my father always had this car sitting in his garage and we use to stack boxes on it like a shelf. It has 70k miles on it and was barely run since my father bought it, to be honest I never even saw it start or roll as a child. He passed in April, I shipped it home and now its sitting in my garage. I took it to the dealership and they green lighted it and put a new set of tires on it and did an oil change but that's about the extent of it. What would you do if you were in my shoes?

EDIT: a few photos I took this for proof https://imgur.com/a/OgmWQmX

I originally posted this on Reddit and they pointed me in this direction.
Old 01-21-2022, 05:55 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Depends if you want a great sports car. The last of the Porsche air cooled (with frog eyes). Very sought after. Probably worth 40-60K, depending on the condition.
Old 01-21-2022, 06:15 AM
xstnte
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 133 Posts

Drive it.
Old 01-21-2022, 06:25 AM
964George
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

If you're not a car guy, sell it, if it has some sentimental value to you, keep it.

If you sell it, it's quite low on the desirability list for the non RS/Turbo cars.
Still worth a good chunk of change for a genuine unmolested car.

Carrera 2 - Manual - Coupe Most desirable.
Carrera 4 - Manual - Coupe
Carrera 2 - Manual - Targa
Carrera 4 - Manual - Targa
Carrera 2 - Manual - Cabriolet
Carrera 4 - Manual - Cabriolet
Carrera 2 - Tiptronic - Coupe
Carrera 2 - Tiptronic - Targa
Carrera 2 - Tiptronic - Cabriolet Least desirable.

Good luck with whatever you decide.​​​​​​​
Old 01-21-2022, 09:13 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 201 Posts

OP, if you're not a car guy what's your interest or hobby? as what 964George said sell it.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:15 AM
sooner964
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi @NotCarCarGuy and welcome! I’m sorry to hear about your father and the circumstances around which the car came to you.

I would find a nice country road, drop the top, and see if the car speaks to you. Once the engine is warm, let the revs climb above 4K before shifting to the next gear to start hearing some magic.

Maybe also look into a local Porsche Club of America (PCA) chapter and attend a Saturday Cars & Coffee to meet and chat with other owners.

While we can all make suggestions, what do you want to do?

By the way, it looks like you’ve got sport seats as the side bolsters appear larger, though it’s kind of hard to tell from the pictures. If so that is a nice option! You also have chromed Design 90 (D90) wheels. I’m not sure how often that option was ticked in favor of the standard silver painted D90 wheels.

Feel free to post some more pictures here, and good luck whatever you decide to do!

Last edited by sooner964; 01-21-2022 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:43 AM
TripleD513
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it's worth a lot more than that..
Old 01-21-2022, 10:44 AM
TripleD513
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by newsboy
Depends if you want a great sports car. The last of the Porsche air cooled (with frog eyes). Very sought after. Probably worth 40-60K, depending on the condition.
I think it's worth a "little" more than that!

Last edited by TripleD513; 01-21-2022 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-21-2022, 11:07 AM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Received 143 Likes on 107 Posts

Hi @NotCarCarGuy Welcome. Condolences about your father.

You've come to a great place where you'll learn so much about the car and it's nuances. I say take it for a drive and reflect let the car speak to you. Think about what your father may have had planned for the car but ultimately life got in the way. Maybe funding wasn't there b/c raising a family took priority. Or he was saving for a father/child project.

Values aside. You're in a great time to have an aircooled vehicle. If you have children of your own possibly start this as a project for you both.

P.S. there is a book by Adrian Streather. The 964 Enthusiasts Guide. I would pick that up for some reading up on the subject.

Last edited by 964Luftballoon; 01-21-2022 at 11:09 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 964Luftballoon:
dmaddox (01-21-2022), sooner964 (01-21-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 11:45 AM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts

sooner964 - "Maybe also look into a local Porsche Club of America (PCA) chapter and attend a Saturday Cars & Coffee to meet and chat with other owners."

This is the best advice.

Everyone there will be happy to talk about your 964 and you will get a better idea about its value, cost to maintain etc.
Old 01-21-2022, 12:29 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 246 Posts

I don't wish Old Cars on those who don't get joy from maintaining them. I also don't wish them on those who merely tolerate maintaining them. It takes a bunch of time and money. If you don't want a car that is involving to own I say sell and buy something that makes you happy!

Good luck with it!
The following 2 users liked this post by r-mm:
John McM (01-21-2022), lbpa18 (01-22-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 01:21 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 119 Posts

With a clean bill of health and if no need for the revenue, keep it and enjoy it. Are you in CO or did the car come from there? Lots of great drives here in a Cabriolet during the Summer. It may just turn you into a car guy!
Old 01-21-2022, 01:30 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 213 Posts

I suggest - as others above - to take a little time with the car. The one thing you don't want to do is sell it and THEN decide you want one. Regardless of its desirability on a scale of most to least - this will be a hard car to replace.
Old 01-21-2022, 02:03 PM
smegman
Burning Brakes

Received 691 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by NotCarCarGuy
To preface this I am not a car guy nor was raised as a car guy, my father always had this car sitting in his garage and we use to stack boxes on it like a shelf. It has 70k miles on it and was barely run since my father bought it, to be honest I never even saw it start or roll as a child. He passed in April, I shipped it home and now its sitting in my garage. I took it to the dealership and they green lighted it and put a new set of tires on it and did an oil change but that's about the extent of it. What would you do if you were in my shoes?

EDIT: a few photos I took this for proof https://imgur.com/a/OgmWQmX

I originally posted this on Reddit and they pointed me in this direction.
do you have 20 grand laying around to spend on fixing it up do you care if you don't drive it for a year while parts get in? If not, I'd probably get rid of it... these things are very expensive to maintain properly and take a ton of time to get right.
Old 01-21-2022, 03:08 PM
klokwerk
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by NotCarCarGuy
Hi NotCarCarGuy, sorry for your loss. From your post, it doesn't sound like you've got any attachment to the car. I think all of us on this site are car guys so it'll be hard for any of us to really answer your question. I'm a car guy, always have been, but never was with my Father. He was an airplane mechanic in the Air Force. He didn't do much with cars. So what I learned I learned on my own. If he had been a car guy AND we'd done stuff together on them, then he handed me down a Pontiac Aztec (worst car ever), I'd love that car and keep it. Take care of it and remember the good times. But alas.
So, here you are with a car that you don't know anything about, don't care for, and maybe could care less to know about. Am I right? So, it seems to me you should take it as a cash inheritance and sell it. Get what you can for it and don't look back.

Quick Reply: I Inherited a 1990 Porsche Carrera 4 What should I do or know?