Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering rack madness, or...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2022, 07:38 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 396 Likes on 262 Posts

Madness isn't really madness unless we go a little bonkers...

I rebooted and packed the front inner cv joints today. It was 12 degrees when i went out there this am. I turned on the heat in the garage and after a few hours i think it was up to 45...but on my knees on a cold cement floor, cleaning and repacking axles...yuck. Wasn't fun. So i gave up after the axles job....can't do axles inside.

But what i can do inside...is a little hardware madness and a bit of ultrasonic cleaning on the subframes....

Name:  photo34.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  1.85 MB

Name:  photo274.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  2.10 MB

Love that. So clean.

On to the hardware:

Name:  photo390.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  2.36 MB

This is clearly after the cleaning. They were gooked up with all kinds of crud, antiseize, oil, etc...now that they are clean, i have a sense for what needs to be done...

Derusting?

Name:  photo293.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  1.28 MB

Name:  photo96.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  1.58 MB

Name:  photo902.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  1.49 MB

Note the steel open lug nuts...

Name:  photo98.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  1.46 MB

Those were on this car in this picture from 1986:

Name:  photo237.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  27.7 KB

Unfortunate that the only picture i have of that car in some digital format is in the middle of a spin...Watkins glen? Road America? Not sure. He won the firehawk road America race that year.

Anyway, into the derust bath they all go....out they come tomorrow.

Name:  photo409.jpg
Size:  1.74 MB
Old 02-06-2022, 07:43 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 246 Posts

The following users liked this post:
Rocket Rob (02-11-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 08:13 PM
Goughary
Race Car

I could use a hog dog maker in the garage...yes.

With a pot of chili...

When i have you design my next home/man cave and garage, be sure to design in the space for the fully staffed kitchen...
Old 02-06-2022, 09:45 PM
gregmitch
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I can feel the coldness of that cement floor permeating through the internet.

I did some cleaning on the big red calipers today before work. Wish I could just dunk them in that tank.
Interested to hear the difference in feel of the 964 vs. 993 rack. We'll have to do a car swap once it's done
Old 02-06-2022, 09:58 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Did you try the iron dissolver stuff that Eric suggested?

Let's see some pics...
Old 02-06-2022, 10:10 PM
gregmitch
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
Did you try the iron dissolver stuff that Eric suggested?

Let's see some pics...
I had some iron remover left over in my garage, not much though. Sprayed on what I had and then lots of wheel cleaner and agitated with a brush. Definitely helped. Still have some more nooks and crannies to deal with OR leave them as is. The most visible part when it's on the car is really clean and red though. I think I'm trying to make it my mission to somehow clean off the baked on brake dust on the inner side even though that'll never be seen.

Will take some pics in the daylight tomorrow.
Old 02-07-2022, 12:46 AM
jjeffries
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Rob, I was using the first photos in this thread to nose around your garage - as one does - and in those neat racks of aerosols saw a quantity of Fluid Films cans. Is that what you use to protect the car’s private parts during the Salt Season?

Also, I’m working on the assumption that if good CV joint boots were available, you’d already have them. What’s the story … did the available stuff go from good to crap in recent years? Does Porsche sell them, or only complete replacement axles?

Lastly, I recall doing rod bearings in a friend’s 1977 Chevy stepside straight-six (Mansfield, Conn, circa 1986) outside, in the snow, wearing insulated Sears coveralls. I remember it was unpleasant, but am sure I’d bounced back after beer and pizza. I’ve lost that hardcore drive over these past 30+ years, and my pussification now increases each year at a seemingly exponential rate. Therefore I doff my cap at your dogged tenacity, willingness to suffer for your art and overall stoutness, sir

All the best, John
The following 2 users liked this post by jjeffries:
ALSPEAKE (02-11-2022), Ralph3. (02-09-2022)
Old 02-07-2022, 06:42 AM
Mark Brook
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Rob,

What solution do you use in your deruster bath?

Cheers,

Mark
Old 02-07-2022, 10:18 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

That's the rack from a 993TT?
Old 02-07-2022, 11:59 AM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Received 143 Likes on 107 Posts

I commend your ability to sit in a cold garage and work on the car. When it gets to 50 degrees down here I want to hibernate LOL
Old 02-07-2022, 01:49 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Jason- seems that way. The entire front end of a 993tt was dropped and sold as one unit. This is the rack from that. But could have been just as easily a seller fibbing and maybe it was a 993 with big brakes...no matter...cuz it's all i got!

Mark- evaporust is the bath. The stuff is magic.

John....the racks/shelves are effectively a copy of what my great-grandfather did in the basement of his house in Binghamton, NY.

This guy- excuse the Italian military outfit. It was WW1 in Italy, and I'm sure all he did was walk around in the woods in the hills and trap game for lunch. He was a bit of a pacifist. My great grandmother was the one that killed and skinned the game...anyway it's the only picture i have handy. He built a little room in the basement where he made wine during the depression. He needed shelf space and borrowed the available space between the studs...

Name:  photo589.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  1.27 MB

Unfortunately, he wasn't a Porsche guy...nor was he a car guy...the other great grandfather was though...he had a Studebaker dealership in Olean, NY...

Name:  photo255.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  1.68 MB

Name:  photo121.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  1.64 MB

Name:  photo911.jpg
Size:  1.57 MB

And he used to race boats on the finger lakes...this is Seneca Lake:

Name:  photo20.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  2.01 MB

That boat had an engine from a period Indy 500 race car...which was found in the attic in the early 80s and donated to the museum at Indy...so if you go there to the track, make sure to take a look...it's there on display.

But to your question about fluid film- i have used it. It's a little gummy for me, and I've now switched to Boeshield T9...giving that a shot. If the car doesn't rust trough, I'll report back in 10 years. I'll never for the life of me be able to answer the question over why those that have bmw's Audi's Mercedes', or even Cayennes or macans or panamera's, are ok to drive those in terrible snowy salty weather, where the depreciation alone (used to) match the cost of a 964....but yet everyone hides the fun car inside??? Ugh. It's a car. Do your best to protect it, but you have to use these things...all the time. I won't have anything other than a sports car to drive. My wife has the fluffy roomy practical car. One in a family is enough.

Cv boots. Nope never bought other ones. But when i have sent axles to CV of Ocala...they come back with very good boots, that don't seem to tear after a year. These garbage GKN boots are for the birds. I'll do some research and try some others...

As to beers and cover alls and snow and pizza...well...i don't drink...haven't in many many years...and thank god, because it left me with a huge amount of time to fill...boredom is a tremendous motivator...cold and snow and working on a car outside ? Sears coveralls? That's just a funny picture and we would all like that photo to be posted below...
Pizza was my lunch and dinner yesterday...Frank Pepe, sausage peppers and onions...was very good, but they get busy sundays and don't leave the pizza in the oven long enough. If they turned the heat down and cooked it a little longer...man o man. Bliss.

Pussification. I think that one got cancelled last year too. But the concept of it increasing at an exponential rate...i am feeling that everyday. My wife told me i have to fix all my friends cars in a hurry and find a new hobby, cuz there isn't much time left.

Doffing thine cap...well, thoust accomplishteth more than me...so if i wore a cap, I'd just tip it back.

Btw...all this talk of upstate NY...which gave us everything - could it be that the lowly, now mostly defunct state of New York...is really the birthplace of everything? I mean, we got, film, typewriters/main frames, niagra falls, twilight zone (rod serling was from Binghamton), glass, and...

Name:  photo371.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  2.07 MB

Heehaw, Sam Wainwright, here's to plastics and ground floors...

Plus...if you want to learn how to bobsled...they have that too...

Last edited by Goughary; 02-07-2022 at 01:56 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Goughary:
jibmaster1 (02-11-2022), spooky69 (02-10-2022)
Old 02-08-2022, 11:06 PM
jjeffries
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Rob, that’s a superb update, and fascinating to learn more about your ancestors and their involvement in the motor trade. Once a year or so I have to journey from Conn. out to Buffalo for work and am always amazed by the size of NY State, and humbled when I read of all the stuff created and produced within its borders. I wish today’s schools taught kids more about our country’s achievements, especially the histories of agriculture, technology and production; I’ve emphasized that with my children just as my parents did with me and my brothers, and imagine you have too, but … “other people’s kids” …. sheesh …. the lack of knowledge is frightening.

Best, Grumpy Geezer, aka John

Last edited by jjeffries; 02-08-2022 at 11:07 PM.
Old 02-09-2022, 08:32 PM
Goughary
Race Car

The last time i was in buffalo i stood at the edge of the falls on the American side...where you walk right up to the edge, on the island...and i think i actually said "wow".

We may have to get a Porsche caravan going and trek out there. 911 and 924 are welcome.
Old 02-09-2022, 08:37 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Name:  photo194.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  492.4 KB

Makes sense?
Old 02-10-2022, 10:18 PM
Goughary
Race Car

We are still waiting for Greg to post some pics of the big big big reds...(i received some off-thread, but a little jab may prove needed to get him to show us the goods here)...

In the meantime, it was 12 degrees Sunday, and 51 today. Climate change much? In 1979, it snowed on September 9th for the first snow of the year. I was 9 btw, which is truely a lot of nines...79, and then September, the 9th month, on the ninth.

9, and then 1 more, and then 1 more...and i was 9...Foreshadowing? Or just a coincidence made up for purposes of writing a thread on Rennlist...well none of that info is made up...pulling it out for this thread, on purpose....it all working out to my benefit, priceless.

My cat, George, who was a girl. Long story. We got him/her when i was 5, my brothers favorite cartoon was George of the jungle...they asked what we should name it. He was older. He won. And George it was. He/she was a Maine Coon. George was out walking around in the snow that day, and to my nine year old mind...it was all very amusing.

Name:  photo992.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  100.7 KB

Looked just like that.

In the past couple weeks, we had snow, then rain, then an ice storm...

"So was I once myself a swinger of birches.
And so I dream of going back to be."

Always brings me back to Frost.

Then we go down to 12 degrees, and then...right up into the 50s, in February. I'll say it here, so it's said- everything is supposed to be frozen by thanksgiving. All the ponds at that time should be close to skating thickness. The mountains in Vermont should have half the trails open with natural snow. And we should be white and dense,,,alllll the way through February. And, Connecticut truely needs to go back to using dirt and sand and they need to ditch the salt.

So with all the back and forth, in and out, present and nostalgia, cold and hot, I've been slow to get things done, but i did get to clean the hardware as we saw earlier...

Name:  photo307.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  288.4 KB

Name:  photo556.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  217.7 KB

Name:  photo664.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  166.0 KB

Name:  photo211.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  217.7 KB

Then i dumped it all in the derust bath...it was cold in the basement, and the stuff works way better when warm, so that took a few days, particularly because the swaybar brackets were thick thick rust...

Name:  photo146.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  171.9 KB

Name:  photo631.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  212.9 KB

Name:  photo875.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  206.9 KB

And now, with the hardware clean and sans rust, it's time for a little protection. Keep in mind here, I'm not going for a lot of protection, nor am i going for bling...just a little coating, a quickie, and easy enough to redo in the future when needed...but as you will see, it's kinda fun to do...And all of this is very easy and can be looked up on the utubes.

You need. A power supply, a couple nickel anodes, some wire with some clips, vinegar, water and some time...and maybe some salt, can't remember how i made my nickel acetate. Anyway, you can buy nickel acetate from Caswell, or you can make your own. I make mine because it's cheeper to make it than to buy it...and i like diy'ing as much as i can.

Name:  photo263.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  202.3 KB

Cheep power supply from Amazon.

Name:  photo595.jpg
Size:  231.3 KB

Some lug nuts about to get dunked...

Name:  photo837.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  179.6 KB

In they go. You want to take your time when home plating. It's easy to get uneven results, which i often do, and depending on the solution, the amount of power, the size and shape, you can get dark and light steaks, and if your parts aren't clean, you can contaminate your acetate and ruin it...plus, with previously zinc'd parts, nickel acetate hates zinc. But we proceed anyway!

Because:

Name:  photo525.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  183.1 KB

So cool!

This next pic shows a dark bit where there is old zinc that is still on this part...you can brighten that spot up later, and you can work with it to get it right, but during the process, the piece is telling you where the impurities are...

Name:  photo282.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  192.7 KB

And here we are:

Name:  photo471.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  237.5 KB

Name:  photo811.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  228.9 KB

Ready to go on the car, sorta...

I've been using t9 for a while and really like it. So i shot all the hardware with that, including the newly plated bits...and I'll let that dry before reassembly this weekend. I'll also spray it over everything once the assembly is done.

Name:  photo743.jpg
Size:  262.8 KB

Last edited by Goughary; 02-10-2022 at 10:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sooner964 (02-10-2022)

Quick Reply: Steering rack madness, or...