What's my offer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2022, 10:09 AM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 274 Posts
Default What's my offer?

Hi all,
First post on this forum, and it's an oddball. I may have an opportunity to buy a 964 C4. It's an odd situation where I have two grainy pictures of a black car covered with dust in a cluttered but dry garage. Paint looks faded, rear bumper has scuffs and cracks, trail lights are cracked, plenty of dings and minor dents, no idea what the miles are, rust around windshield, no idea what the VIN is, no idea what the miles are, no idea what year the car is, no idea if it runs. Tires hold air and registration is current. No idea if there is a title. Petty sure it's a 964 based on one side view shot that I think shows a ring around the headlight (tough angle) that would differentiate it from a 993.
The car looks like it was a daily driver that was driven hard and put away wet; used until the owner lost interest or something happened to the car to render it inoperable.

So assume beater car, trashed interior, rust, potential non-runner, high miles.
What's my offer?

TIA
Old 03-31-2022, 10:58 AM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Received 143 Likes on 107 Posts

Yikes, with all those unknowns I would just be frank and ask the seller what is their price and go from there. You could lowball and say 40-45k b/c unknown condition. He may say "I know what I have"....but minimum engine rebuild cost is about 20-25k pre-pandemic. (Assuming it's not running)
Old 03-31-2022, 11:10 AM
jimonycricket
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 36 Posts

I would walk away if I wasn't able to get a title. Looks like a little more due diligence needs to be done. You might end up with a parts car..
The following users liked this post:
Hawkpilot6060 (04-01-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 11:56 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 571 Likes on 252 Posts

I hear Singer are happy to pay $50k+ for any 964 with a solid / accident free tub....
Old 03-31-2022, 11:59 AM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimonycricket
I would walk away if I wasn't able to get a title. Looks like a little more due diligence needs to be done. You might end up with a parts car..
Registration is allegedly current, so the title issue, while still significant, would not preclude the ability to register in many states.
Absolutely true that it might be a parts car. My offer should take that into account.

Originally Posted by 964Luftballoon
Yikes, with all those unknowns I would just be frank and ask the seller what is their price and go from there. You could lowball and say 40-45k b/c unknown condition. He may say "I know what I have"....but minimum engine rebuild cost is about 20-25k pre-pandemic. (Assuming it's not running)
Ball is in my court, for better or worse. I suspect this will be a situation where I say a number the answer is either yes or no. I'm not really interested in dickering; just want to come up with a reasonable number that basically assumes worst case scenario. If get access to the car, more knowledge about the car, or even a pictures, I'll have to shift my number accordingly. But for now it's basically a shot in the dark.

I think walking away isn't the best option, as the car is definitely worth something. Just want to be fair to the (elderly) seller while avoiding getting handed a bag of reeking excrement.
Old 03-31-2022, 12:11 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 119 Posts

A small rust bubble at the bottom corner of the windshield is common. Rust around the whole windshield could be a sign of much bigger issues. Not sure why you can’t ask more questions of the seller but if the car is a basket case, it could get expensive in a hurry.
Old 03-31-2022, 12:22 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 973 Likes on 634 Posts

that sounds like a lot of sketchy information at best. i assume a completely noncooperative owner? at least start with a title. no title, walk.
to be honest, i think it's extremely hard to put a number on this getting this minimal amount of information secondhand.
i would proceed, if at all, with the lowest of expectations and assume the absolute worst. for me, there would be too many unknowns, but i'm also not a project guy at this point either.
Old 03-31-2022, 12:36 PM
jonathant
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Why not drive/fly out and see the guy and car in person? Travel is cheap by comparison; this has all the hallmarks of a scam (assuming you don’t know the “elderly owner” personally).
Old 03-31-2022, 12:59 PM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the comments so far.

Car is local to me, but it's a sensitive situation with an elderly owner in poor health, so I can't see it unless I am invited. It's not being marketed in any way. I know some folks who are helping the owner and his family clean out decades of stuff from the house, and they told me about the car. These relationships between the clean out team and the owner is delicate at best, and they don't want to unnecessarily stress that relationship so that I can have another old junker in my garage. It's the kind of thing where I can take a shot and make a one-time offer. If I get the opportunity, I might get a few minutes first to look at the odometer, try to spin the engine by hand, and walk around the car. They might tell me why the car is parked. I have no reason to distrust them at all.

That said, I am trying to establish a floor that I might work up from. Trying to offer on the low side of fair, so to speak. Will give more details if I get any, but for now I don't even have a picture of the nose, interior, or even a VIN.

The Singer comment seems insane. True?
Old 03-31-2022, 01:08 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 973 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
The Singer comment seems insane. True?
when you're out the door for $1M, $50k for the base isn't too much at all. i'm sure they factor in the donor at 2x the value just to be sure they're ahead of the game.

The following users liked this post:
4Driver4 (03-31-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 01:29 PM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 317 Posts

There is nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche.

If you are looking to turn this into a real driver, you're going to spend 50k minimum (just assuming it needs serious bodywork, tons of interior work and you need to assume at least a top end since you can't get info). For me, I wouldn't start anywhere higher than 20k for that car. if you can get in there and verify everything, then you can make a more reasonable offer, but with a situation like this, you need to basically assume the worst. And the reality is the worst is a pretty likely outcome. Even if you can do all the work yourself, parts are getting VERY expensive for these cars.
The following 3 users liked this post by darylbowden:
0luke1 (04-01-2022), dukmon (04-02-2022), Hatzenbach (03-31-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 01:37 PM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by darylbowden
There is nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche.
I was lucky enough to dodge that bullet on my 997, but I do understand the adage. - LOL

Originally Posted by darylbowden
If you are looking to turn this into a real driver, you're going to spend 50k minimum (just assuming it needs serious bodywork, tons of interior work and you need to assume at least a top end since you can't get info). For me, I wouldn't start anywhere higher than 20k for that car. if you can get in there and verify everything, then you can make a more reasonable offer, but with a situation like this, you need to basically assume the worst. And the reality is the worst is a pretty likely outcome. Even if you can do all the work yourself, parts are getting VERY expensive for these cars.
This is kinda the logic and ballpark guess I'm looking for. This and the Singer thing, anyway. I guess I should talk to Singer to see if they have a level of interest. I'm not looking for a flip by any means, but it would be nice to have an escape hatch to get out with minimal or no financial damage if things get ugly after the potential purchase.
Old 03-31-2022, 01:52 PM
gccch
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Registration is allegedly current, so the title issue, while still significant, would not preclude the ability to register in many states.
Absolutely true that it might be a parts car. My offer should take that into account.

Ball is in my court, for better or worse. I suspect this will be a situation where I say a number the answer is either yes or no. I'm not really interested in dickering; just want to come up with a reasonable number that basically assumes worst case scenario. If get access to the car, more knowledge about the car, or even a pictures, I'll have to shift my number accordingly. But for now it's basically a shot in the dark.

I think walking away isn't the best option, as the car is definitely worth something. Just want to be fair to the (elderly) seller while avoiding getting handed a bag of reeking excrement.
The seller is not being very fair to you! Sure, there may be difficulties, but they want to sell it to you without a fair opportunity to check it out. I'd offer no more than $20k. It's a total gamble and they owe more than that regardless of their situation.

Old 03-31-2022, 02:26 PM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 179 Posts

Petty sure it's a 964 based on one side view shot that I think shows a ring around the headlight (tough angle) that would differentiate it from a 993.
Hard to suggest an offer value because there isn’t enough information. However, this stuck out and makes me wonder is it actually a 964? The 964 and 993 headlights are quite distinct from each other at any angle, plus the slope of the fender is noticeably different.

You say you have pictures of the tail lights; that would be a better indicator if it was a 964 or not. The front and rear bumpers are also a dead giveaway. Can you post the pics?

Last edited by Sirenty; 03-31-2022 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-31-2022, 02:41 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 173 Posts

possible to get a VIN ?

....just an idea

Quick Reply: What's my offer?