instrument cluster light issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2022, 05:29 PM
timrichardson
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default instrument cluster light issue

Hello all,

I recently decided to replace the little 12v bulbs for my centre console to get them working again. When removing the circuit boards I also unattached an aftermarket air con switch sits in my centre console (pictured).I have reassembled everything except the aftermarket switch, unfortunately when checking I now have no working centre console lights (with new bulbs) and the back light for my gauges has also gone :-( Other interior lights are working.

Pictured are the wires that I believe were attached to the aftermarket switch, I have no idea which wire attached to the switch (stupidly did not take a pic before detaching) but presume that this is causing the issue of no lights on my console or gauges.

If anybody has any suggestions on how to remedy this issue and get my centre console and dahsboard gauges lit up again I would be grateful!

Best,
Tim

Old 06-15-2022, 12:29 AM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Did you disconnect the battery before getting into the console? If not check for any blown fuses in the fuse panel.

If no blown fuses, get your VOM out and check your 4 wires, Brown is usually ground so check for conitnuity to a good ground. The others are possibly battery, or switched power from the ignition switch (turn the ignition key to "accessory" position, and measure for voltage), and then the device it powers (A/C?)

Is this switch taking a spot of one of the 3 usual switches on the console just above the rotary switch for the spoiler?

Is there a part number/ manufacture/ logo on the body of the switch?

Last edited by mojorizing; 06-15-2022 at 12:31 AM.
Old 06-16-2022, 09:48 AM
timrichardson
Advanced

Originally Posted by mojorizing
Did you disconnect the battery before getting into the console? If not check for any blown fuses in the fuse panel.

If no blown fuses, get your VOM out and check your 4 wires, Brown is usually ground so check for conitnuity to a good ground. The others are possibly battery, or switched power from the ignition switch (turn the ignition key to "accessory" position, and measure for voltage), and then the device it powers (A/C?)

Is this switch taking a spot of one of the 3 usual switches on the console just above the rotary switch for the spoiler?

Is there a part number/ manufacture/ logo on the body of the switch?
Thanks so much for your response I appreciate it! On further investigation I have noticed that if I disconnect the upper console (hazard light/lock/warning light) my instrument lights come back on!. Also noticed that the replacement 12v bulb is working for the lower centre console section (to light the rear spoiler switch) when I disconnect the upper console along with the instrument lights. This is good news at least as indicates it has nothing to do with the air con switch which is actually useless as I have removed the air con unit.

I am going to check my soldering to the upper console board as suspect this might be the problem here!
Old 06-18-2022, 03:36 AM
timrichardson
Advanced

Sorted! Turned out it was my poor soldering as I had added too much and joined the terminals! Removed some and hey presto, we have lights after some 12 years without 🙂

The following 2 users liked this post by timrichardson:
cbracerx (06-23-2022), mark lintott (06-18-2022)

Quick Reply: instrument cluster light issue