EXCESSIVE SLACK ON FRONT HOOD CABLE

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2022, 03:25 PM
cobracarrera
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default EXCESSIVE SLACK ON FRONT HOOD CABLE

Afternoon Gents,

What would cause the front hood latch cable to get excessive slack and will not allow me to open the front trunk now. The only way I am able to open the front trunk is by applying a little pressure to the carpeted area in the footwell close to the run of the cable and lever which then gives enough tension on the cable to open the hood. I accidently found this works by luck as I was looking for a broken cable at first. The handle lever has no tension on it what so-ever.

I really don't want to pull the carpet away from the side area if I don't have too. My car is a 1990 C2, so I assume I do not have the emergency cable either. I need to access the truck as I put the car on charge with a battery tender after ever drive.

Any thoughts.......Is there some sort of strapping that let go that holds the cable in place?

Appreciate it..
Old 06-16-2022, 05:50 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 272 Likes on 159 Posts

Sounds exactly like mine was. The issue the bracket has broken allowing the cable jacket or ferrel on the end of the cable to come towards your hand. By reaching up and over you can get enough slack out to open the frunk. The fix is a new handle assembly. Don’t worry about pulling the carpet down is us designed to come out after the handle is removed. I don’t remember if it had to come out just to replace the handle.
Think of a throttle cable on a motorcycle or the brake cable on a bicycle where the end of the cable housing isn’t in where it should be the whole housing moved not just the cable
Old 06-17-2022, 09:39 AM
mark lintott
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I have exactly the same problem at the moment. I already replaced the cable as the old one snapped but now there is no tension on the pull handle and it appears the patch of plastic on the back of the handle that locates the sleeving around the cable has broken off. So now its a new handle on order. It looks like it could be repaired but if it breaks again it makes access to the frunk tricky - even with the emergency pull. If you don't have the emergency pull be very careful or you'll end up locked out and doing weird stuff to get in.....ask me how I........

Cheers
Old 06-17-2022, 09:48 AM
cobracarrera
Pro

Originally Posted by JohnK964
Sounds exactly like mine was. The issue the bracket has broken allowing the cable jacket or ferrel on the end of the cable to come towards your hand. By reaching up and over you can get enough slack out to open the frunk. The fix is a new handle assembly. Don’t worry about pulling the carpet down is us designed to come out after the handle is removed. I don’t remember if it had to come out just to replace the handle.
Think of a throttle cable on a motorcycle or the brake cable on a bicycle where the end of the cable housing isn’t in where it should be the whole housing moved not just the cable

Thanks John,

I will look at the lever a little bit better, hopefully that is the issue which I am hoping as it would be an easier fix. It funny, I feel like I am walking on egg shells at the moment hoping the cable doesn't snap and add to this minor issue. The post below this post from Mark seems to have the same issue and is replacing his lever assembly also.

Thank You................
Old 06-17-2022, 09:51 AM
cobracarrera
Pro

Originally Posted by mark lintott
I have exactly the same problem at the moment. I already replaced the cable as the old one snapped but now there is no tension on the pull handle and it appears the patch of plastic on the back of the handle that locates the sleeving around the cable has broken off. So now its a new handle on order. It looks like it could be repaired but if it breaks again it makes access to the frunk tricky - even with the emergency pull. If you don't have the emergency pull be very careful or you'll end up locked out and doing weird stuff to get in.....ask me how I........

Cheers
Thanks Mark,

Sounds like all 3 of us (You, John and I) have the same problem. I will look at the lever a bit better. Any good place to source the lever by chance? Sorry you had to learn the hard way...........
Old 06-17-2022, 11:05 AM
abarthguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 173 Posts

I changed out a broken handle on my '92 a few years ago and worth noting that you will need a couple different size allen wrenches to remove the handle! Took me a while to figure that out!!
Old 06-17-2022, 02:25 PM
cobracarrera
Pro

Originally Posted by abarthguy
I changed out a broken handle on my '92 a few years ago and worth noting that you will need a couple different size allen wrenches to remove the handle! Took me a while to figure that out!!

Thank You.......Good too know..........I will learn my lesson one day as I seem to go back and forth to the tool box 15 times to do one process.......LoL,,,,, I sure hope it is just the lever assembly.....

Quick Reply: EXCESSIVE SLACK ON FRONT HOOD CABLE