Sponsored by:

Changing Fuel Filter inside the Fuel Tank

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2022, 01:24 AM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Changing Fuel Filter inside the Fuel Tank

I've been having strange readings on fuel gauge where it tends to read much lower and most times quickly than what's in the actual tank, it still works for the most part but seems like it needs to be re-calibrated which isn't possible I believe.

I was going to replace the fuel sender unit along with x 2 fuel filters (tank never done before + rear one done back in 2011) but was curious after this reading this thread - have any 964 owners replaced the fuel tank filter as maintenance and figured it was a waste of time as indicated in the thread?

fuel tank fuel filter need to be cleaned ? - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Up here in Vancouver we are fortunate to have ethanol free fuel from Chevron or Shell. So for the most part my car has used this fuel the last 11 years, so maybe this really a mute point.
Old 06-17-2022, 08:37 AM
No_snivelling
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 130 Posts

My car never saw ethanol fuel either, but have a look at what my in-tank fuel filter looked like when I replaced it on spec. You have to figure that 30 year old plastic is 30 year old plastic and as such is subject to degradation.
Also, I took my fuel sender apart and cleaned it up and it now works fine.

Old filter with big hole.

New filter.
Old 06-17-2022, 06:00 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Good to know I agree with age of these cars today it make sense to be replaced.

Quick Reply: Changing Fuel Filter inside the Fuel Tank