A/C retrofit with HC-12a

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 08:44 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks Randall.

The Montreal Protocol that banned R12 and other ozone-depleting chemicals required that production stop in December 1990. Clearly Porsche knew about this during 964 development and planned ahead. I am sure they studied the research, and it is no surprise they chose R134a based on best long-term results.

Eric has a right to express his opinion that R134a is "the least efficient and most hazardous refrigerant out there". He is crossing the line when he puts misinformation on the board to support his misguided opinion. R12 and R134a provide better long-term results because they have higher purity and are less chemically reactive than hydrocarbons (propane, butane, ...) and mixtures.

R134a bashing is motivated by commercial interests who are selling inexpensive hydrocarbon mixes that work fine as a stop gap until the AC system is properly repaired. They are a poor choice for a system that has been repaired and is ready to use R134a.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:52 AM
911kid
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Springer,
Have you determined what caused your A/C drive belt to fail? Did your compressor lock up due to loss of oil or just a worn or loose belt?
BTW- the EPA has published a document "Choosing and Using Alternative Refrigerants for Motor Vehicle Air Conditioning" and they specifically list Freeze 12 as an acceptable refrigerant for new or replacement applications. OZ12 and other hydrocarbon types are listed as not acceptable.
Old 05-23-2004, 01:35 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally posted by 911kid
EPA ... specifically list Freeze 12 as an acceptable refrigerant for new or replacement applications. OZ12 and other hydrocarbon types are listed as not acceptable.
Freeze 12 is 80% R134a. I suspect the other constituent is there to mix with the mineral oil and make it compatible with the R12 lubricant.

I updated my post on the compressor belt problem.

Quick Reply: A/C retrofit with HC-12a