964 RS is it worth having?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2024, 09:25 PM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 201 Posts
Default race

Originally Posted by RapidGT
They do another race on track which consisted also of a Nissan Skyline GTR R32, Mazda FD RX-7, Mitsubishi 3000GT, and an automatic 928 GTS. This is in addition to the other 3 cars in the videos above.

https://youtu.be/JhOtxOD_OP4?feature=shared
viewing this amazed me and missed my 1990 GT-R R32 RHD that car is crazy for a 1990 being AWD with rear wheel steering they won all 12 out of 12 European races at that time.
Old 01-19-2024, 09:22 AM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Money can build anything. If I didn't spend so much time effort and money converting my C2 I would have bought an RS or a cup car. The only thing I need to address next is the gearbox. The addition of 993 components + custom MCS, bushings, brakes etc along with slick top has actually improved the handling of my C2 to a level I consider better than a stock RS but not by all that much and look how many years and man hours it took to do so. I also need power steering my arthritis won't allow me to drive the manual rack cars anymore. . Any 964 has the potential to be a great drivers car some came that way from the factory.
God this hit home.

Bought a perfect C2. Then proceeded to go down the modding rabbit hole one step at a time. First it was the suspension overall. Which trickles into a big red brake upgrade with 993 RS uprights. Then the car gods bless me with metal in my oil pan, which now is leading towards a 3.8 with regear. The pain....

I should have just bought a RS
Old 01-19-2024, 09:36 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Originally Posted by The Greek
God this hit home.

Bought a perfect C2. Then proceeded to go down the modding rabbit hole one step at a time. First it was the suspension overall. Which trickles into a big red brake upgrade with 993 RS uprights. Then the car gods bless me with metal in my oil pan, which now is leading towards a 3.8 with regear. The pain....

I should have just bought a RS
I wouldn't. be upset. One thing I enjoy about having a C2 is I can play with it and do what i want with it. On the other hand the value of the RS is in its originality. I can probably recoup every penny I have into my car but I started when they were cheap. I like the fixed RSA wing and other things I did that I would never do to an RS. I am also blessed with the ability to do everything myself so that makes a difference on the wallet.

Although i would love 2swoosh's Cup car. BTW I had gone up against NSX's in my C2 years ago and they always were left behind. Had a skyline loose it in front of me up at Bear Mtn just couldn't handle like the C2 and my 928GTS 5 speed will toast any of these cars off the line and from any speed up. Those old videos are entertaining but far from Scientific.
Old 01-19-2024, 10:13 AM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 234 Posts

^^ It's all a wash. Buying an RS doesn't make you immune to engine failures or suspension refreshes. It just makes you feel guilty about improving anything from stock....evenm if stock is not bad...these are over 30 years old now.
The following users liked this post:
darylbowden (01-25-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 11:44 AM
MSH5
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tugboat 996
I think that they should have specced more stuff wrapped in leather.

I am still passively in the market for a red one with no cage. Let me know if you see one.
This one is avaliable, but is still in the UK.
https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/...964-carrera-rs
Old 01-19-2024, 12:07 PM
MSH5
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tugboat 996
I think that they should have specced more stuff wrapped in leather.

I am still passively in the market for a red one with no cage. Let me know if you see one.
This one is avaliable, but is still in the UK.
https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/...964-carrera-rs
Old 01-19-2024, 12:29 PM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Received 369 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff33702
^^ It's all a wash. Buying an RS doesn't make you immune to engine failures or suspension refreshes. It just makes you feel guilty about improving anything from stock....evenm if stock is not bad...these are over 30 years old now.
This, my C2 with all the mods drives A LOT better than a stock RS.
Old 01-20-2024, 07:31 AM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,265 Posts

Crystal Silver Macau Clubsport. Same car that sold on BaT last June. Person who bought it then said he had two of these and an ‘88 Clubsport which he bought from Ray Joseph which is also now listed with Canepa.

Current listing:
https://canepa.com/photo-gallery/199...arrera-rs7049/

Previous BaT listing from June 2023 (sold for $300k):
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...arrera-rs-5-2/
Old 01-21-2024, 10:41 AM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Rubystone German-market RS on BaT. Shows 91k km (57k miles).

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...carrera-rs-18/

Has to be clean car as the listing states it has a clean Carfax. First entry on it goes as far back as 16 days ago.
Old 01-24-2024, 09:59 PM
Formawerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crystal Silver Macau Clubsport. Same car that sold on BaT last June. Person who bought it then said he had two of these and an ‘88 Clubsport which he bought from Ray Joseph which is also now listed with Canepa.

Current listing:
https://canepa.com/photo-gallery/199...arrera-rs7049/

Previous BaT listing from June 2023 (sold for $300k):
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...arrera-rs-5-2/
They are asking $465k on the car. Asked what work they've done to warrant given the amount it sold for last year and this was the response:

The 964 RS Macau car we are asking $465k. The work to be done to the car is as follows:

-Fully inspected and serviced by our shop here at Canepa. All systems will be checked and serviced. Anything and everything that the car needs will be done prior to customer delivery.
-We will perform a full Concours level detail on the car. Take the wheels off, wash the underside by hand with sap and water.
-Bruce is going to repaint the hood, he already found a perfect color match, just from age.

I would try not to frame the car and the price based on past sales, but more on what the value of the car will be in the future. When it comes to the really rare and collectible cars, sometimes they seem expensive in the moment, but then in retrospect, years down the line, they seem like a bargain. This car as you know is incredibly rare and special and has all the hallmarks of a car that has strong value growth ahead of it. It's an opportunity I wouldn't want to miss. Let me know if you have any other questions or if there is anything else that I can do to help and I would love to do business with you.
Old 01-24-2024, 10:01 PM
Formawerx
Rennlist Member

Rubystone German-market RS on BaT. Shows 91k km (57k miles).

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...carrera-rs-18/

Has to be clean car as the listing states it has a clean Carfax. First entry on it goes as far back as 16 days ago.
Very curious to see what this goes for!
Old 01-24-2024, 10:07 PM
Formawerx
Rennlist Member

If anyone is interested in letting go of their RS or RS N/GT please dm as I am actively looking! Sold my 85' 930 long ago to fund my business and finally back in the market for an air-cooled again.
Old 01-25-2024, 12:04 AM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Formawerx
They are asking $465k on the car. Asked what work they've done to warrant given the amount it sold for last year and this was the response:

The 964 RS Macau car we are asking $465k. The work to be done to the car is as follows:

-Fully inspected and serviced by our shop here at Canepa. All systems will be checked and serviced. Anything and everything that the car needs will be done prior to customer delivery.
-We will perform a full Concours level detail on the car. Take the wheels off, wash the underside by hand with sap and water.
-Bruce is going to repaint the hood, he already found a perfect color match, just from age.

I would try not to frame the car and the price based on past sales, but more on what the value of the car will be in the future. When it comes to the really rare and collectible cars, sometimes they seem expensive in the moment, but then in retrospect, years down the line, they seem like a bargain. This car as you know is incredibly rare and special and has all the hallmarks of a car that has strong value growth ahead of it. It's an opportunity I wouldn't want to miss. Let me know if you have any other questions or if there is anything else that I can do to help and I would love to do business with you.
im surprised they didn’t just reply with “the canepa difference.” Aka how they justify a 30% profit margin after a good detail.
Formawerx (01-25-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 09:09 AM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Formawerx
The 964 RS Macau car we are asking $465k.

I would try not to frame the car and the price based on past sales, but more on what the value of the car will be in the future. When it comes to the really rare and collectible cars, sometimes they seem expensive in the moment, but then in retrospect, years down the line, they seem like a bargain. This car as you know is incredibly rare and special and has all the hallmarks of a car that has strong value growth ahead of it. It's an opportunity I wouldn't want to miss.
I think if it was a private seller (or another dealer) and gave this reason for overpricing a car they would get laughed at to the point of pulling the listing or having to shut down the business. I understand paying top dollar for a top 1% all original and/or number 1 condition car. However, pricing based on what the future value maybe and discounting past sales is one of the dumbest reasons I’ve ever heard.

I think the car undersold on BaT at $300k, but $465k is a big ask even with the “Canepa difference” factored in. Usually consists of a throughly documented inspection, detail, service, and some light restoration work. Sometimes they may get away with just an inspection as the car doesn’t need anything, but still got the “Canepa difference”.

Last edited by RapidGT; 01-25-2024 at 09:43 AM.
Formawerx (01-25-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 10:16 AM
Tugboat 996
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I think if it was a private seller (or another dealer) and gave this reason for overpricing a car they would get laughed at to the point of pulling the listing or having to shut down the business. I understand paying top dollar for a top 1% all original and/or number 1 condition car. However, pricing based on what the future value maybe and discounting past sales is one of the dumbest reasons I’ve ever heard.

I think the car undersold on BaT at $300k, but $465k is a big ask even with the “Canepa difference” factored in. Usually consists of a throughly documented inspection, detail, service, and some light restoration work. Sometimes they may get away with just an inspection as the car doesn’t need anything, but still got the “Canepa difference”.

I actually thought that they were going to ask more than 465 so I did not even bother reaching out. I do like the red one from the link above.

Quick Reply: 964 RS is it worth having?