Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964/993 Billet timing chain covers / re-engineered

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2023, 02:32 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 106 Posts

I haven't had the chance to finish pulling them off, but I'm in for a set of these regardless.
Old 01-30-2023, 05:02 PM
konrad911
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts

1. Peteinjp x1 set black
2. schroederhc1 black
3. mattonthewater black
4. tjb616 black
5. konrad911 black
6. konrad911 black (1 set outside this forum)
7. …
8. …
9. …
10. …

So we’re at six sets for the moment. Not bad, let’s see how it goes further.

I checked today and booked CNC slot (in 5-6 weeks from now). Then I need around 1 week for anodizing. This means mid March I should be able to start shipping this batch.

I’ll PM you in few weeks time regarding payment/shipment (for US I think PayPal is easiest, EU we have other options as well).

I’m sure you will enjoy these :-)
The following users liked this post:
schroederhc1 (01-31-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 06:42 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

count me in too!

1. Peteinjp x1 set black
2. schroederhc1 black
3. Mattonthewater black
4. tjb616 black
5. konrad911 black
7. 38D (aka Colin) in black
8. …
9. …
10. …

Old 01-31-2023, 07:56 AM
P906
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by konrad911
1. Peteinjp x1 set black
2. schroederhc1 black
3. mattonthewater black
4. tjb616 black
5. konrad911 black
7. …
8. …
9. …
10. …

I checked today and booked CNC slot (in 5-6 weeks from now). Then I need around 1 week for anodizing. This means mid March I should be able to start shipping this batch.

I’ll PM you in few weeks time regarding payment/shipment (for US I think PayPal is easiest, EU we have other options as well).

Hi, where are you located ? Do the covers ship from USA ?

Chris (interested in a pair)
beeing in Austria
Old 01-31-2023, 07:56 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Konrad,
I think you've done a lot of work and a great job so far, well done.

One observation I would like to point out is that the most common issue on these covers is not the seal face corrosion or with the cover itself, it's with the studs that Porsche use to hold them on and the housing itself. The concept behind using a shouldered stud screwed into the magnesium housing is that the stud remains in place and the nut on the outside is undone to remove the cover. This is a design feature to eliminate thread failure on the magnesium housing due to repeated thread use & removal.

Of course, the issue that we all know is that the nut grips the stud more than the magnesium housing so when you attempt to undo the nut, the whole stud comes out with the nut and washer affixed. No big deal I hear you all say, fit the stud in a clamp-on stud extractor, remove the nut, have the studs and washers re-plated and use them again. In theory. We screw the refreshed stud to the mag housing with red loctite to prevent them coming out again, but more often than I would like to believe, we torque up the cover nut only for the thread in the housing to fail. Off comes the cover, out comes a few more of the freshly loctited studs, out with the helicoil kit, remove nuts & washers, more loctite and we try again. The underlying problem is that the threaded holes in the magnesium housing are not up to repeated use with a screw.

With your design my recommendation would be to use the M6 studs screwed into the housing (with loctite) then use plain M6 nuts with wavy lock washers on the outside lubricated with Optimoly (Copper Slip or similar) - the same set up as the oil pan on the magnesium case 2.7 911 engines.

Keep up the good work and don't be frightened to use that CNC mill to remove all unnecessary weight from the final part.

The following 2 users liked this post by NineMeister:
Paolo1 (10-23-2023), Rocket Rob (01-31-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 10:52 AM
kraftwerksco
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by konrad911
1. Peteinjp x1 set black
2. schroederhc1 black
3. mattonthewater black
4. tjb616 black
5. konrad911 black
7. …
8. …
9. …
10. …

I would like to put in an order for a pair of the covers in black.
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 01-31-2023, 03:08 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

The covers on my 993 are weeping slightly, so this issue will have to be addressed sooner or later.

I will put in an order for a pair of covers in black.
Old 01-31-2023, 03:27 PM
rs911porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I would like a set in black. How would you like to be paid?
Old 01-31-2023, 03:28 PM
rs911porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I just saw the PayPal good deal.
Old 01-31-2023, 05:46 PM
Ubipa
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Always like these types of projects. I’ll be the 10th.

Edited: Anodized Black, I like the stud and nut idea

Last edited by Ubipa; 02-01-2023 at 06:41 AM.
Old 01-31-2023, 11:48 PM
Achtung964
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Count me in for a set in black. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2023, 03:16 AM
konrad911
Rennlist Member

Seems the list looks like this now:

1. Peteinjp x1 set black
2. schroederhc1 black
3. Mattonthewater black
4. tjb616 black
5. konrad911 black x2 (1 set outside this forum)
6. 38D (aka Colin) in black
7. P906 (what color?)
8. kraftewerksco black
9. SpeedyC2 black
10. rs911porsche black
11. Ubipa
(what color?)
12. Achtung964 black

@Colin (NineMeister) I do agree with the studs being glued in to the boxes not to abuse the magnesium threads. I chose bolts rather than studs + nuts as it's easier to install IMHO, especially when engine in the bay. And it's so true that the studs come out with the nut anyway
For most of us this is install and forget for the next 20 years or so (I wish that to everyone, that they won't need to rebuild their engine that long).
Even if you will be rebuilding the engine sooner, still it's most probably one time job (so using a proper torque wrench and small amount of torque should be just fine).
For racing, when you're taking engine apart few times a year - hey stud + nut will also work with my covers, just don't use the bolts I provide and use M6 stud (red loctitte or red permatex thread locker) and a nylock nut or spring washer with regular nut or whatever you want / have at hand :-)) Or I can just provide that for you - just let me know what you need

@P906 I'm based in Poland, covers are made in Poland (or made in EU if you prefer that naming convention) and shipped from here as well. Euros work for me as well as USD.

As of shipment... for the US folks I've shipped few sets of my 924/944/968 billet torsion bar carrier mounts (https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...-mounts-4.html) using Priority AirMail (USPS delivered).
I ship as gift to a forum friend - usually arrives within 2 weeks (or less) and cost is around $20. Should be similar with the covers as dimensions of the package would be similar.

I only had issue once with that shipping method, when shipping to the UK. The parcel was stuck at duties for over 2 weeks! Now I ship to the UK with a courier (more expensive as UK moved out of the EU, but leaves blood pressure stable ).
Other EU countries I ship with a courier as well (usually arrives within a week) - should be less than EUR20 for shipping.

Happy we reached 10 sets, this way my friendly CNC shop will be happy as well and willing to do my next CNC projects when these come ;-)

I will reach out to you via PM when time comes.

Many thanks for all the good words and constructive feedback.
Old 02-01-2023, 10:17 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

I'll probably use studs as well. Also about the paper gaskets- removal is much easier. Coat the cover side with a hardening sealant and the chain box (not removing the engine from the vehicle for example) with hylomar or similar and the cover comes free quite easily and the chain box does not need to be scraped clean. I have not tired this method n this particular application but in my BMW days it worked well with lower timing chain covers and rear main seal housings etc. The 574 can be a bit stubborn....

Cheers for taking this on!

Pete
Old 02-01-2023, 10:53 AM
konrad911
Rennlist Member

Guys so let's do an update on the hardware and finish to include info whether you want studs or bolts.

1. Peteinjp x1 set black / studs
2. schroederhc1 black / studs or bolts?
3. Mattonthewater black / studs or bolts?
4. tjb616 black / studs or bolts?
5. konrad911 black / bolts x2 (1 set outside this forum)
6. 38D (aka Colin) in black / studs or bolts?
7. P906 (what color?) / studs or bolts?
8. kraftewerksco black / studs or bolts?
9. SpeedyC2 black / studs or bolts?
10. rs911porsche black / studs or bolts?
11. Ubipa (what color?) / studs or bolts?
12. Achtung964 black / studs or bolts?
Old 02-01-2023, 11:05 AM
konrad911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Peteinjp
Also about the paper gaskets- removal is much easier. Coat the cover side with a hardening sealant and the chain box (not removing the engine from the vehicle for example) with hylomar or similar and the cover comes free quite easily and the chain box does not need to be scraped clean. I have not tired this method n this particular application but in my BMW days it worked well with lower timing chain covers and rear main seal housings etc. The 574 can be a bit stubborn....

Cheers for taking this on!

Pete
Pete I did all the testing using no gasket at all and using the grey Elring Dirko sealant - that works as intended. Period :-)
I'm sure there are other sealants that will work just fine (like the Loctite 574), but I did not test it, therefore I will not recommend.
I.e. I have bad experience with Hylomar - I used to use it like 15 years ago, but they must have changed something in it and I had at least 2-3 situations when it failed (and earlier application still works fine).
If you want to change the way this is sealed against the boxes, it's on you :-) And don't forget to share how it works in a year after install or so, I'd love to know that as well

Cheers,
Konrad

Quick Reply: 964/993 Billet timing chain covers / re-engineered