Bi-LED Projector Headlight Options

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2023, 07:44 PM
rotorheadcase
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Bi-LED Projector Headlight Options

G'day all,
Having just watched a YouTube DIY on installing bi-led projectors in an H4 bucket I was curious to see if anyone was using thses with the original fluted glass lenses and it seems that Rennline st least are offering their H4 bi-led projectors with a classic fluted lens cover option. Does anyone here have real world experience with this combination? All the others I've found have a clear glass cover which to my thinking would be the most effective, but I would like to keep the classic looks of the fluted lens if possible.
Thanks,

Neil

Old 05-17-2023, 08:07 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 215 Posts

You might want to look at Audette collection:
Audette Silver™ LED Headlights ~ Low cost, solid quality, Bright Night – Audette Collection ~ Porsche Lighting Restoration & BEST-IN-CLASS Porsche Parts (911bestinclass.com)
They offer you a choice of clear and fluted lenses.
I ordered mine with fluted lenses and I don't think it affects the quality of the light and looks much better
Old 05-17-2023, 08:22 PM
rotorheadcase
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the fast reply. That's exactly the info I was after regarding light quality. I was a bit concernecd that the light spread would not be as focused and possibly dazzle oncoming drivers. I'll move forward with the plan of using my original H4 buckets and lenses.
Neil
Old 05-18-2023, 11:32 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 134 Posts

I have the Rennlines with the fluted lenses. They look really good, especially since I got the "primer" colored rings painted to match my car. They were a proper pain in the a$$ to install, however. Putting them into the car was the easy part, but assembling them was a lot more difficult for me. IIRC, the instructions say you should install the lights in the buckets, aim them, then put the trim rings over the units while on the car. But fitting the trim rings was so difficult (it took me hours, and what was probably 100s of attempts on the driver's side) that I couldn't do it while on the car, so I'm not sure they're properly aimed - they might be a bit low - but there's no way in hell I'm going to pull them out, aim them, and reinstall!

They look great, though, and make driving at night much much better. Very original looking, although the trained eye will definitely spot the single bottom screw rather than the OG multiple screws and rubber grommets. But this is true of all the aftermarket LED solutions.

Last edited by mgordon18; 05-18-2023 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Added the pic
Old 05-18-2023, 11:38 AM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 223 Posts

How is the light throw and color temperature on these?

I know that the LEDs will put out more total lumens but one of the issues with a lot of these optically suboptimal solutions (like fluted lenses in front of projectors) is that you can get a ton of flood which washes out the road right in front of the car and no throw.
This 'looks' brighter but actually means you can't see as far down the road as you can with a properly adjusted set of H4s.

Would love to see someone do a real beamshot comparison like they do for big flashlights over on candlepower.
Old 05-18-2023, 03:33 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 215 Posts

i have JW speaker 8700 EVO 2 led headlights. They are generally OK but have a few spots with lower intensity
If I would do it again I would choose the Morimoto Sealed 7
Old 05-20-2023, 01:16 PM
Noah930
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts

I would echo mgordon's comments above. I got the Rennlines for my 2 cars. They were a pain to install and aim. One of those "hope I never have to do it again" jobs. Made me wish I had ponied up the difference for the 9eleven Ravens (I actually like their look, but YMMV).

I don't have the side-by-side pics for comparison. But the Rennlines are a definite improvement over the stock H5s. I can definitely see better at night.

I have the fluted lenses on one car, and clears on the other. I don't think it makes a big difference in light output. I know light guys geek out at how a proper LED system is supposed to be focused and engineered through a non-fluted lens. But maybe the theory doesn't make a big difference in the real world application of this product.

But not a fan of the assembly portion of the product.
Old 05-20-2023, 06:15 PM
edvc520
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do they all require assembly other than the ravens?
Considering the flat6 illumination specifically
Old 05-20-2023, 07:17 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by edvc520
Do they all require assembly other than the ravens?
Considering the flat6 illumination specifically
Flat6 and Rennline are the same product, FYI.
Old 05-21-2023, 03:37 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I have the Flat6 with fluted lens and I like the look. They're a pain to aim because you need to dissassemble them to gain access to the adjustment screws. Reassembling them takes time and finesse and does get frustratting to get the fitement perfect.
What I did was cut a slot with a hacksaw in the ends of the 3 adjustment bolts and then all you need to do is remove the light assembly from the car to make adjustments.

Pictured is the expected way to make adjustments.

Modified way to make the same adjustments. This shows a disassembled light with reflector, lens and ring removed, but once assembled all you do is remove the light from the bucket and make your adjustments from the backside of the light.

Last edited by mojorizing; 05-21-2023 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-25-2023, 10:03 AM
edvc520
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn’t order the lights yet, but will the holes create risk for condensation in the lights?

Originally Posted by mojorizing
I have the Flat6 with fluted lens and I like the look. They're a pain to aim because you need to dissassemble them to gain access to the adjustment screws. Reassembling them takes time and finesse and does get frustratting to get the fitement perfect.
What I did was cut a slot with a hacksaw in the ends of the 3 adjustment bolts and then all you need to do is remove the light assembly from the car to make adjustments.

Pictured is the expected way to make adjustments.

Modified way to make the same adjustments. This shows a disassembled light with reflector, lens and ring removed, but once assembled all you do is remove the light from the bucket and make your adjustments from the backside of the light.

Old 05-29-2023, 02:26 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

You're right that these light assemblies are open from the back and if moisture is in the light buckets, there is a possiblity of condensation. These lights are waterproof from water coming at them from the front.
Old 05-30-2023, 04:47 AM
mby
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Since you already have H4-fittings in your car, you can easily reuse them with LEDs like
Osram Nigh Breaker H4-LED Osram Nigh Breaker H4-LED
or
Philips Ultinon Pro6000 H4-LED Philips Ultinon Pro6000 H4-LED
– The only challenges are that they are not street-legal for Porsches (yet) but from what I hear from friends do fit and work plus that they seem to not be available globally.

Personally, I stay with
Osram Night Breaker 200 H4 (non-LED) Osram Night Breaker 200 H4 (non-LED)
(or
Philips RacingVision GT200 H4 (non-LED) Philips RacingVision GT200 H4 (non-LED)
); the most important aspect is to have the modification that leverages a relays to not run all power for the H4 lights through the steering column switch (e.g., https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/762224-headlamp-headlight-relays-for-964-a.html); that already makes a huge difference as higher voltage reaches the lights, due to this optimized setup.

Last edited by mby; 05-30-2023 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Links get mixed up
The following users liked this post:
rotorheadcase (06-06-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 01:39 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

Has anyone bought the offering from Stuttgart Classica?

It looks like they require cutting out the back of the headlight bucket, but the improved look of the recessed projector a la Singer is worth it for me.

https://www.stuttgart-classica.com/b...ed-head-lights
Old 06-02-2023, 04:23 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 223 Posts

I haven't seen those before, but I do know that the Hella bixenon projectors are well regarded and so LED ones might be pretty decent too.
The install instructions do require cutting out the back of the headlight bucket, they are found here: https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...ht+fitment.pdf

Quick Reply: Bi-LED Projector Headlight Options