Sponsored by:

New valve and timing cover gaskets labor cost

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2023, 08:01 PM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 119 Posts
Default New valve and timing cover gaskets labor cost

Hey all – my '91 964 developed a small oil leak (maybe 1 drop per day on the floor), so took it in to the local shop. The lower valve and timing covers are both leaking slightly, so going to get both done. I've ordered Rennline upper and lower valve covers with Victor Reinz gaskets, and will use new OEM timing covers. The shop quoted $3500 just to replace both valve and timing cover gaskets, including possibly replacing bank 1 timing chain tensioner. That seemed rather steep to me for replacing the gaskets – is that inline with the expected cost for this job?

Thanks!
Old 05-17-2023, 09:04 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,063 Posts

I can’t imagine it taking an experienced tech more than 6-8 hours. There is some stuff in the way…
seems high. Are they adjusting your valves in the process? They are quoting you like 3 days labor?

you're in Santa Barbara? You could try calling Marco at tlg, north Hollywood. Not that far from you.
The following users liked this post:
forbiddenbeat (05-18-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 09:45 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 396 Likes on 262 Posts

Aside from that being an entirely ridiculous cost for that work...

Why bother doing it at all?

You will, at some point, have to do a valve adjustment. If it were me, I'd wait till the valves needed to be done. The valve cover seals get done as part of that job, and the timing chain covers are also more easily accessible at that time, saving time and money on those as well.

Further/ unless oil is pouring out of the motor, you don't have a real problem. And further still, in all likelihood, after you replace those seals, the likelihood of a continued weep (not leak), is very high, negating all the reason why you spent the money and time in the first place .

Soooooo, unless you are crazy, or you find someone to do the work for a crazy low number...just wait a bit and do the seals when you are in there for a real reason.
The following 2 users liked this post by Goughary:
Bruizer (05-18-2023), machisono (05-25-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 09:49 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 224 Posts

Yes, I would get quotes to have your valves adjusted, because at least then you have a reason to be in there. Even with that extra labor, it should cost about a third of what you've been quoted, especially if you are supplying new valve covers and gaskets.
Old 05-17-2023, 11:51 PM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I'm going to ask them to breakout the hours and make sure I'm not missing something. I was indeed going to ask for a valve adjustment since I don't have records of it being done recently.

Edit: actually, looking at the records, valve adjustment was done 3k miles ago (8 years back) and the lower valve covers plus all gaskets were replaced then too. So, indeed, it is leaking again.

Last edited by forbiddenbeat; 05-17-2023 at 11:56 PM.
Old 05-18-2023, 12:06 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 396 Likes on 262 Posts

Do yourself a favor. You just were handed a quote for a job that was not only priced many multiples higher than the job is worth, but you were also given terrible advice and they attempted to take advantage.

Find a shop that will advise you properly, and charge an appropriate amount, and be honest about it.

It's ok to spend a lot. When it's ok to spend a lot.
The following 2 users liked this post by Goughary:
Hella-Buggin' (05-19-2023), Turbo Jonny (05-18-2023)
Old 05-18-2023, 04:54 AM
konrad911
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts

You already stated, that you will use (already ordered) OEM timing chain covers... But just take a look at my post/development here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ngineered.html
Good luck!
Old 05-18-2023, 12:42 PM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by konrad911
You already stated, that you will use (already ordered) OEM timing chain covers... But just take a look at my post/development here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ngineered.html
Good luck!
Thanks! I saw your thread – looks like the new ETA is June? Or is that closed now?
Old 05-18-2023, 12:47 PM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Goughary
Do yourself a favor. You just were handed a quote for a job that was not only priced many multiples higher than the job is worth, but you were also given terrible advice and they attempted to take advantage.

Find a shop that will advise you properly, and charge an appropriate amount, and be honest about it.

It's ok to spend a lot. When it's ok to spend a lot.
Thanks. This shop is well-respected in town, so I'm going to call and find out what the breakdown on the quote is.

But just to confirm, timing and valve covers is roughly a 6-8 hour job? It looks like timing covers require a partial engine drop, which would seem like more than a 1-day job.
Old 05-18-2023, 01:58 PM
konrad911
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by forbiddenbeat;[url=tel:18809581
18809581[/url]]Thanks! I saw your thread – looks like the new ETA is June? Or is that closed now?
Yeah, this „laggards’ batch” is closed, but if you’re in need I might sort out something for you before the next batch. PM me if interested.
The following users liked this post:
forbiddenbeat (05-18-2023)
Old 05-18-2023, 03:48 PM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

Another indie shop I use in town (general German shop) said the quote seems reasonable since the engine has to be partially or fully dropped. Just checking if this is indeed the case.
Old 05-18-2023, 05:13 PM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by forbiddenbeat
Thanks. This shop is well-respected in town, so I'm going to call and find out what the breakdown on the quote is.

But just to confirm, timing and valve covers is roughly a 6-8 hour job? It looks like timing covers require a partial engine drop, which would seem like more than a 1-day job.
Actually, you just lower the engine a little, maybe a couple of in max to get to the valve covers a little easier. The timing chain covers need a few things removed. Do you know if your a/c compressor bracket has been modified? If yes, those timing chain covers are pretty easy too. I can do it in 6 - 8 hours so am experienced mechanic should be able to.
Old 05-18-2023, 05:15 PM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by forbiddenbeat
Another indie shop I use in town (general German shop) said the quote seems reasonable since the engine has to be partially or fully dropped. Just checking if this is indeed the case.
That's b/s. No need to drop the engine. I have done both valve covers and chain covers with engine in the car. Search here and you'll find plenty of instructions with picture how to do it.
Old 05-18-2023, 05:22 PM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cjoenck
That's b/s. No need to drop the engine. I have done both valve covers and chain covers with engine in the car. Search here and you'll find plenty of instructions with picture how to do it.
Ok awesome, thank you. I'll call the original car back and get that labor quote breakout, and then if it's still an issue find somewhere else. Or, just ignore for now.
Old 05-18-2023, 07:27 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 272 Likes on 159 Posts

I think I’s rather put my car on jack stands drop then drag the motor from underneath sit on my but and do the adjustments than give someone that kind of cash.
Remember the saying if if don’t splash when you step on it it ain’t a leak.

Quick Reply: New valve and timing cover gaskets labor cost