Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The new Singer beautiful or make you puke

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2023, 09:37 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,950 Likes on 1,180 Posts

What ever happened to the philosophy Porsche adhered to when the 934/935 were created? Optimize function.Reduce the form right down to the essentials. I guess part of their reimagining the best air cooled Porsche built included putting form first and pushed function to the side.

BTW Tamiya just came out with a new 934 RC kit. I built most of those back in the day. If you ever have the opportunity to work on or be up close and personal with a 935, 934, RSR, yellow bird etc, the differences become apparent rather quickly. Give me the originals any day of the week.

Interestingly the car I would spend my money on is up for sale. I saw this car as posted above at Amelia Concours and was the first person to see it after its restoration. Pure sex and function over form.

​​​​​​https://www.goodingco.com/lot/1975-p...y&utm_content=

Last edited by cobalt; 08-17-2023 at 09:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
L39E (08-17-2023)
Old 08-17-2023, 03:20 PM
ZG862
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I'd be right there in the queue with you Anthony if I had the money. That car could almost make me drink Martini.

Z
PS/ The Tamiyas had lots of omissions. Of the stuff that was there, was much wrong?
Old 08-18-2023, 12:23 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 213 Posts

To me - the Singer cars (and other restomods) are interesting and often quite attractive BUT - they really make me appreciate the point that so many people missed when the 964 was first released. It recalls all the dimensions and appearance of the original 911 while being the first regular production 911 to eliminate the applied bumper. Every 911 since then has an integrated bumper but every 911 since then is different from the original design at front, side, and back. The 964 is the car that was/is the absolute middle for 911 design and no 911 before or after is like it. The Singers are "more . . . " but more isn't always better. No shade to Singer/restomod owners here. If I had the money I might own a Singer but I'd have to do it in a way that allowed me to keep an original 964. In my case - a 964 Targa. It also happens to be the last traditional Targa bodied car Porsche built. Fortunately - the 964 Targa was not a popular target for Singer style conversions because there weren't allot of them. I've been to several events where there will be more Singer style cars than 964 Targas. But then - no one notices when you drive a 964 Targa to an event that has several restomod 964's. That's ok with me.
Old 08-21-2023, 12:16 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I have a friend with a singer targa. These cars come to shows but attract a different crowd. Usually the lambo or F car drivers who know very little about Porsche but heard of Singer because of the price tag. We get a number of 964's lately and they attract a lot of attention. I had my 3.6T at New Hope concours 2 weeks ago and it got a crazy amount of attention. The traditional Porsche enthusiast gravitates to the 964 while the car guy who knows little about Porsche's seem to head to the singers.
Old 08-21-2023, 02:53 PM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by jpoint
But then - no one notices when you drive a 964 Targa to an event that has several restomod 964's. That's ok with me.
Interestingly, at some smaller local events I've attended, I hear a bunch of people say "holy crap a 964 Targa" when I drive in and a few folks run over to talk to me. There are usually no Singers (only 1-2 in town) but a bunch of super cars of various makes. I think the younger generation finds high-$$, high-hp cars more interesting (I know I did when I was younger too), but the older crowd who know cars tend to find the 964 pretty exciting. So a fancy Singer will excite some folks, but others will definitely appreciate the older, harder-to-find cars. One thing I love about this town (Santa Barbara) is we tend to be kind of anti-Los-Angeles-vibe, so new flashy cars are generally kind of frowned upon and classic cars get the nod.

That said, while the Turbo study went too far IMO, I would love to have a garage full of every generation of 911, and a DLS.
Old 08-21-2023, 05:06 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Drove my singer all over Harriman State Park in NY this weekend, the thing is tremendous...I know there's a lot of "hate" for them out there still from the old school guys...but the thing is just phenomenal to drive - period. I haven't driven my RS America once since I got the singer.
Spokes (08-21-2023)
Old 08-22-2023, 09:53 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by raclaims
Drove my singer all over Harriman State Park in NY this weekend, the thing is tremendous...I know there's a lot of "hate" for them out there still from the old school guys...but the thing is just phenomenal to drive - period. I haven't driven my RS America once since I got the singer.
I have to ask? You prefer the power assisted steering of the singer over the RSA's manual rack? I have driven several singers and there is no denying they are nice to drive, however I don't consider it more than a well sorted 964 with body kit and fancy stuff I have no need for. I found my C2 makes better nosies and is more engaging to drive with upgraded suspension than the singers I drove. I enjoy it more than my turbo at times due to the sound alone. But my C2 is far from stock, has every suspension upgrade a singer has, just missing the engine. Maybe time to consider a suspension upgrade on the RSA? The stock setup was cutting edge 30 years ago, today not so much LOL.

Do you know the owner of this one by any chance? You seem to be in the NYC area and it is a small community.

928 GT R (08-23-2023)
Old 08-22-2023, 10:02 AM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I don't consider it more than a well sorted 964 with body kit and fancy stuff I have no need for.
Old 08-22-2023, 07:15 PM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by raclaims
Also curious about this – I wonder if your RS had a full suspension refresh if you'd still find the Singer the better driver's car. I suppose the engine makes a huge difference.

Personally I'd love to find a high-mileage 964 coupe, do a body-out respray, interior restoration, full suspension refresh, and a 4.0 build from Rothsport and that seems like the perfect car.
Old 08-23-2023, 03:56 AM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by forbiddenbeat
Also curious about this – I wonder if your RS had a full suspension refresh if you'd still find the Singer the better driver's car. I suppose the engine makes a huge difference.

Personally I'd love to find a high-mileage 964 coupe, do a body-out respray, interior restoration, full suspension refresh, and a 4.0 build from Rothsport and that seems like the perfect car.
I juta did that expect my engine rebuilt is a good old 3.6 It drives really nicely. I recently drove 2 RS and they are not driving nearly as nice.

Quick Reply: The new Singer beautiful or make you puke