964 C4 All Wheel Drive Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2023, 03:12 PM
Philby
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 C4 All Wheel Drive Issue

Hi guys,

newbie post. I was always one of those guys that read from the sidelines but im currently at a loss and hoping for some help.

I have a 964 C4 cars done 80,000 miles. Was a bit of a barn find i found about 5 years ago. Was left in a garage for 12 years prior to my purchase and just started occasionally. Was burried under a pile of blankets and ive been slowly fixing her up to the beauty she is today. Car was recently painted at M&A Coachworks who did a fantastic job (photos attached)

When i originally purchased the car the 4WD system worked fine but the car then sat for a few years while i set about ripping out the old interior. When i eventualy moved it again i noticed it wouldnt engage properly and if i drove it would make a horrendous clunk that you'd feel through the whole car. Wasnt a huge issue as i was fixing up other areas and it drove fine in normal mode anyway.
Having now finished 90% of the work im driving the car a bit more until last weekend i noticed a vibration from the NSF wheel when driving in normal mode whenever i accelerated. This progressivly got worse to the point where its pretty much undrivable now. I believe its linked the AWD system as now the light flashes if i try to engage. (previously it just stayed on when engaged) I can feel the vibration through the whole car, similar to that clunk when engaging 4WD, especially through the steering and gear lever. Its def not a wheel balancing thing, its much more sever then that. If i back off, it will stop and i can slowly build up speed again. I recently installed some drop link arms as they were worn but cant see any other issues. It litterally feels like the left front wheel wants to shake itself off.

Any help is of course much appreciated

Thanks

Phil

Last edited by Philby; 10-09-2023 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-09-2023, 10:08 PM
Tomfun
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 52 Posts

Which drop links did you install? I'm not quite following what you mean when you say "engage the 4wd", as it's always engaged... do you mean manually locking the differentials with the console ****? What year is your C4?

Tom
Old 10-10-2023, 01:52 AM
rotorheadcase
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

If you are manually "engaging" the diff locks with the console rotary switch, be aware they are only meant for very low speed to assist in getting you out of snow or mud. The clunking you feel is normal (diff is locked) and goes away as soon as the diff locks automatically disengage (over 15kph from memory) The AWD system is always on and proprotions drive between the front and rear wheels as necessary.
Old 10-10-2023, 08:46 AM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rotorheadcase
If you are manually "engaging" the diff locks with the console rotary switch, be aware they are only meant for very low speed to assist in getting you out of snow or mud. The clunking you feel is normal (diff is locked) and goes away as soon as the diff locks automatically disengage (over 15kph from memory) The AWD system is always on and proprotions drive between the front and rear wheels as necessary.
+1 . The 4wd is a mechanical system that cannot be selected - its permanent. The centre console switch is to lock all differentials to help you out of difficult surfaces. Its function is explained in the Owners Manual.

Quick Reply: 964 C4 All Wheel Drive Issue