Yet another soft top issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2023, 02:27 AM
_Remi
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Yet another soft top issue

Hi friends,

Every time I complain that my soft top fails pretty much once a year, I remember that a coupe would cost $40k more ... and to be fair, it is my daily driver and I operate it probably 1-2 a week all year round which it might not have been designed for.

Anyhow, here's my latest issue: I replaced the driver side latch motor under warranty (little thread on how difficult it was to remove) and while it latches properly, it does not "stop" when the top is fully up (and I hear a tac-tac-tac noise). Additionally the dash light stays on when the top is up. Everything is fine when the top is down.

I tried two things:
  • Top down, I manually pressed both latch micro switch sensors to pretend the top was up and someone else operated the switch: both latch motors behaved perfectly, they would open/close and stop properly. I also checked the latch micro switch sensors and both seem fine and positioned properly
  • I tried a semi dangerous operation and kept the left latch micro switch sensor in my hand while closing the top. I fully pressed it when the top was up hoping the latch motor would behave properly and it did not (i.e. it does not stop and goes tac-tac-tac ... and the dash light stays on
I am a bit puzzled, how come it works fine when the top is down and I "simulate" a closed position but acts incorrectly when it's on the windshield?

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2023, 07:56 AM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by _Remi
Hi friends,

Every time I complain that my soft top fails pretty much once a year, I remember that a coupe would cost $40k more ... and to be fair, it is my daily driver and I operate it probably 1-2 a week all year round which it might not have been designed for.

Anyhow, here's my latest issue: I replaced the driver side latch motor under warranty (little thread on how difficult it was to remove) and while it latches properly, it does not "stop" when the top is fully up (and I hear a tac-tac-tac noise). Additionally the dash light stays on when the top is up. Everything is fine when the top is down.

I tried two things:
  • Top down, I manually pressed both latch micro switch sensors to pretend the top was up and someone else operated the switch: both latch motors behaved perfectly, they would open/close and stop properly. I also checked the latch micro switch sensors and both seem fine and positioned properly
  • I tried a semi dangerous operation and kept the left latch micro switch sensor in my hand while closing the top. I fully pressed it when the top was up hoping the latch motor would behave properly and it did not (i.e. it does not stop and goes tac-tac-tac ... and the dash light stays on
I am a bit puzzled, how come it works fine when the top is down and I "simulate" a closed position but acts incorrectly when it's on the windshield?

Thanks!
Sounds like the hood needs to be slightly further forward to make better contact between the micro switches and windshield frame. Easily checked by adding a thin spacer (card or cardboard) where the switch makes contact.
Old 10-19-2023, 10:50 AM
systemsc
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 90 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by _Remi
Hi friends,

I tried two things:
I am a bit puzzled, how come it works fine when the top is down and a closed position but acts incorrectly when it's on the windshield?

Thanks!
Likely it's a timing problem in the locking motors. Read here under Porsche Cab Top; https://www.systemsc.com/problems.htm
http://www.systemsc.com/

Quick Reply: Yet another soft top issue