Semi-Scientific LED (& Halogen) Headlight Testing

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2023, 01:04 PM
gregmitch
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Great write up @spartansix !
A few things that I learned from our testing session last night:

1-EVERYONE should check to make sure their headlights, whatever they may have, are aimed properly. Doing this test exposed how bad (most) of our headlights were aimed to start with.

2-I agree with @Goughary and I don't hate the look of the Audette LED...when you first mounted them to your car, the design actually looked really nice and not offensive like some other aftermarket upgrade options. Once they were properly aimed, I was really impressed with how they threw light. Very wide throw for the low beam.

3-After this test session, now I am torn between installing Rus's relay kit with higher wattage H4s that's been sitting on a shelf or these Audette lights...

EDIT: @S2K993 Great point about the Merritt Parkway night time driving

Last edited by gregmitch; 11-18-2023 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-19-2023, 08:49 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Thanks for this guys- really nice to have a solid back to back. Since I drive in the mountains main driving issue at night is actually being able to see into a corner. Sounds like the Audette/Phillips 7” led is the way to go is it not?

I have set of the earlier bucket that he sold (sells?) with the city lights in the bottom and my main complaint about those is that the way the the is suspended with 2 rubber buttons does not adjust well at all. I ordered a set of the new ones without the city light and am hoping that they use a system that similar to the originals….. or at least that really allows adjustment in 2 planes.

Best-

Pete
Old 11-19-2023, 11:48 AM
Spyder_2011
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 94 Posts

Excellent write up, thank you for taking the time to put this together!

I drove some canyon roads at night and was shocked at how poor the stock lighting is. I was driving maybe half my normal canyon speeds and still out driving the lights 😬. An upgrade will be in my future and this thread will be a great reference.
Old 11-19-2023, 12:21 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 224 Posts

If you want wide, I think that the Audette is the way to go.
They are kind of a pain to adjust like all headlights but they are nearly impossible to fit and adjust if you don't bend the H5 headlight mounting tabs back.
We had to look up the instructions after it was clear something wasn't right.
Old 11-19-2023, 07:42 PM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

Wow amazing work. I was going between the flat6 led and H4 with relays before this testing.

How do the audettes look on the car? Do
you have photos of them installed during the daytime?

I ask bc I’m not sold on the overall look while acknowledging the performance is there. I’m also guessing you couldn’t run an H4 fluted lens with the audettes bc it would mess with the beam pattern.
Old 11-19-2023, 10:28 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

I can take more photos of them on the car but unfortunately I don't have painted trim rings for them yet so they don't look as good as they would with those.
You can't run fluted lenses as it would destroy the beam but everyone agreed that they looked pretty good in person.
It helps that they are a 7" reflector design inside a bucket, very similar to that on a 356 or 911.
The following users liked this post:
Brig993 (11-19-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 06:26 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 396 Likes on 262 Posts

Pete- yes the audette are far better in terms of being able to "see into" the corner. They are way wider view and the light is very clean so when you are using your own peripheral vision, aside from looking directly into the corner, there is just more information there.
Old 11-20-2023, 06:56 PM
klokwerk
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Thank you all for putting in the hours! Have some 'solid' information to use next time I'm considering changing up the headlights.
Old 11-20-2023, 07:07 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by spartansix
You can't run fluted lenses as it would destroy the beam but everyone agreed that they looked pretty good in person.
Im not necessarily disputing this, but I am curious why some LED headlight makers such as 9Haus offer the fluted lenses if this is the case.
Old 11-20-2023, 07:29 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

I don't know.
I shouldn't make that claim so conclusively since we didn't test a LED headlight w/ fluted lenses that was designed that way from a seller.
We only tested the LED bulbs in the fluted H5 lenses, and in that application there was a lot of overall light output but not great beam pattern or throw.

Here's the high beam pattern from the H5 with LEDs. I think the weird diagonal bright parts of the high beam are likely the result of the fluted lenses.

In the end, I'm not sure how many or if any of these aftermarket headlight manufacturers for the 964 are testing their headlights in any scientific way. I've certainly never seen test results (which is why I wanted to generate some)
Old 11-20-2023, 08:49 PM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Daniel Stern- highly recommended vendor. He does compare products scientifically and lectures at lighting conferences etc. This article is getting a bit long in the tooth but still holds true today. He strongly discouraged me from using fluted lenses with the 7" led units that he recommended (left hand traffic as I'm in Japan.)

Optics of Halogen bulbs and why Led/hid bulb retrofits are not suited for halogen designed lenses.
Old 11-21-2023, 03:48 AM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi Spartansix,
Thanks for the time, those are very interesting informations !
From your test my choice will be to try Russ set up.
I actually did a search and could not find anything.
Does anyone have a link for buying Russ set up ?
Msny thanks
Konstantin
Old 11-21-2023, 04:46 AM
mby
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Peteinjp
Daniel Stern- highly recommended vendor. He does compare products scientifically and lectures at lighting conferences etc. This article is getting a bit long in the tooth but still holds true today. He strongly discouraged me from using fluted lenses with the 7" led units that he recommended (left hand traffic as I'm in Japan.)

Optics of Halogen bulbs and why Led/hid bulb retrofits are not suited for halogen designed lenses.
At least some parts of it are no longer true as the H4 LED bulbs offered by Porshe are tested and officially approved and as such are perfectly legal in Germany and many parts of the EU (as long as used with the E4 6 glass).
Old 11-21-2023, 07:39 AM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Peteinjp

Perhaps DS should consider updating his comments to reflect (no pun intended) the latest technology in LED developments.which can provide a very accurate light source location.
Old 11-21-2023, 09:39 AM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 748 Likes on 521 Posts

My headlights were made using the newer 2.5" projectors w/ built-in LED drivers. Very easy to DIY and you still retain all the OEM adjustments. I can't see forking out the money some ask for these aftermarket lights.

Quick Reply: Semi-Scientific LED (& Halogen) Headlight Testing