Sponsored by:

Convertible top “transmission” locking up with new cable installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2024, 05:46 PM
Rex964
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Convertible top “transmission” locking up with new cable installed

The top on my 1990 C2 did not raise or lower using the motors. The front locking motors work perfectly.

Started digging into and found both cables running from the motors to the “transmission” were broken.

pulled the drivers side “transmission” removed the old cable end and cleaned and greased everything. Before installing the new cable I checked the movement of the unit and it moved freely and smoothly.

when I install the new cable the “transmission” locks up. I even installed the old worm gear from the broken cable and the tranny locked up. I am stumped. Why is the tranny locking up from the worm gear when it moves so freely without it???

ant ideas appreciated!
Old 02-18-2024, 02:56 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Have you checked transmission housing. I found that both transmission case bolts had backed out allowing for gear play.
Old 02-18-2024, 04:37 PM
Rex964
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The transmission moves freely

Originally Posted by Gus
Have you checked transmission housing. I found that both transmission case bolts had backed out allowing for gear play.
I am going to take the tranny apart clean and grease. Both cables are snapped so I am wondering g if someone did a repair before and put reversed the cables???? Thanks for the replay I will look at that also
Old 02-19-2024, 11:46 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

More thoughts - check to see if motors can turn cable when not hooked to transmission. Then check to see if cables will turn trans when not hooked to motors Use an electric drill to check - put cable in chuck - go slow.
next with cable disconnected from motor see if you can turn transmission by hand using center nut/ bolt ( believe 13mm) you can use ratchet wrench to test trans movement in either direction- it been a while since I have worked on a cab too - sorry not recalling a lot.
The following users liked this post:
Rex964 (02-19-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 01:57 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 90 Posts

I have a spare transmission ( side arm gear ) available reasonable if needed , thanks Bert
The following users liked this post:
Rex964 (02-19-2024)

Quick Reply: Convertible top “transmission” locking up with new cable installed