Fuel gauge cluster repair?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2024, 10:44 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Fuel gauge cluster repair?

Hi Folks,

Been awhile since I’ve been on here but finally getting around to the list of remaining fixes for my ‘90 Targa. One of those is the fuel gauge. It sits at empty with the light on regardless of what’s in the tank. It does not move at all when starting the car. I’ve previously replaced the sender (which fixed it) and then after a year it stopped working again and I replaced the electronic unit on top (which fixed it) and now about 1.5 years later it’s stopped working again. Car was in to the mechanic recently and he diagnosed it as the gauge cluster itself as the problem after testing the resistance of the sender and unit that sits on top. He suggested sending the cluster unit out to PAS but I like to DIY so wanted to see if anyone here has experience / info on what to look for inside the gauge once I have it apart. I’m handy w a solder and would be glad to learn. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by titleistaddict87; 03-17-2024 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-18-2024, 11:21 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Sometimes (you need to be good with soldering and have a proper iron/station to do it well) is to re-flow the solder joints on the gauge, sometimes they've gone cold, you can also inspect for any burnt traces for example. This is common on the clock.

But if you're in the SF Bay Area Palo Alto Speedometer is worth a call.

Old 03-18-2024, 11:51 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Sometimes (you need to be good with soldering and have a proper iron/station to do it well) is to re-flow the solder joints on the gauge, sometimes they've gone cold, you can also inspect for any burnt traces for example. This is common on the clock.

But if you're in the SF Bay Area Palo Alto Speedometer is worth a call.
Thanks, I'm gonna pull it out and have a look (since I have to do that anyways) and if I can't figure it out I'm gonna send to PAS.

Quick Reply: Fuel gauge cluster repair?