Sponsored by:

issues with Scantool - PDAS/ABS etc

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 03:19 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
Default issues with Scantool - PDAS/ABS etc

I am having odd issues with the PDAS/ABS in my 92 C4. Likely due to not driving the car enough, and letting it sit too long. The symptoms have varied through various alarms and system components functioning/failing randomly. i.e., PDAS engaging randomly, speedometer not working then started working, PDAS light on but ABS still working, now PDAS and ABS light/alarm begins upon starting the engine and neither system functions (even if I have run the hydraulic pump til it shuts off, prior to starting the engine.) Brake fluid level good, pump starts/stops as it should, (accumulator does bleed down in pressure fairly quickly tho). I recall there is a Relay to check. And maybe the accelerometers are failing. But, before I get into fixing whatever is wrong...
I am trying to use the Scantool (and Durametric's tool) to look for fault codes and variables. I tried the Durametric with the 964 adapter, but cannot get it to communicate with ECU, PDAS/ABS, ClimateControl, but only with Air Bag. I fired up my old Windows XP laptop with the original Scantool set up - and it connected to the ECU and Climate Control without issues, but it does not connect to the PDAS/ABS control unit. The "K" line light comes on, the "L" light does not (I don't recall if both lights would come on).
A call to Durametric provided not solutions.
Any Scantool experts still around? I can try to message Tore who I believe still markets his Scantool set up.
THANKS (I've been on Rennlist for 18 years this month, two other 964's and a 996 have come and gone, but I still have my first 964. Was hoping to take it to the track this weekend, but now unlikely. It might be kinda fun to drive it on the track with no PDAS and no ABS.
Old 04-22-2024, 03:52 PM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Received 143 Likes on 107 Posts

I had similar issues with my Scantool a year or two ago. When I mentioned it to Tore we think the program itself needs to be re-written. He sells the plug/wire but the program was freeware if i recall correctly. I was able to do an adaptation once with the oem chip but after I switched to a steve wong chip i could never get it to connect. I just left it alone and search for a hammer or if they are still available a pdt999 tool
Old 04-22-2024, 06:35 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 964Luftballoon
I had similar issues with my Scantool a year or two ago. When I mentioned it to Tore we think the program itself needs to be re-written. He sells the plug/wire but the program was freeware if i recall correctly. I was able to do an adaptation once with the oem chip but after I switched to a steve wong chip i could never get it to connect. I just left it alone and search for a hammer or if they are still available a pdt999 tool
I am fairly certain that (many years ago) I was able to connect to and see the variables for the PDAS with my old origianl Scantool, on the same PC laptop that's runnin WinXP. The fact that the "new" cable and software from Durametric could not connect to the PDAS - indicates a problem with the PDAS/ABS controller. I am wondering if there are ways to test the variou pins on the control to see what may/maynot be getting signals.
I haven't read Adrian's book in over 10 years, maybe there is something in there to help.
Old 04-23-2024, 01:03 PM
C24FUN
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

I built my ScanTool in 2004 based on the information on this site and it has worked fine ever since on my '90 964. The only time I had a problem was when my Airbag control unit in the car failed (constant warning light on dash) and would no longer communicate with the Scantool (thread here). There is no reason the at the ScanTool would no longer read data that it used to read unless there was a failure in the ScanTool or in the vehicle subsystem it was trying to connect with. Having said that, my car is a C2 so no Scantool link for the ABS in this model.

Good luck!

Jim

Quick Reply: issues with Scantool - PDAS/ABS etc