Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

itrip/ipod in UK 964s

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 05:11 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

John... They make a mount designed for a cupholder that could be modded into practically anything you want. If you plan on using the iPod in more than one car you may want to invest in two car chargers. It does get to be a pain hauling all the stuff needed sometimes...

The vent mount sounds like a good idea though I don't recall ever seeing one in the stores. I'll bet it's available on ebay...
Old 06-01-2005, 06:34 PM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm using something much like the Griffen road trip and it's called TransPod FM. It's a cradle that you mount the I-pod on and choose the frequency and you're set.It even charges the I-pod whilst it's playing. Being in the UK, you might have to order it from the US because it's illegal where you live. The best route is via the link sold by denison.The cassette, while not as good, it's better then the I-trip which was horrible.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:47 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Khalid, does the cradle mount on the cigar lighter?

The Griffin does, but I don't think it will clear the dash top...
Old 06-01-2005, 10:08 PM
mxbanker
Racer

Got the vent mount at CompUsa (computer/retail electronics store) works great only downfall is if you hit a large bump it will drop(not fall) off of canteliver mount.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:34 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I know you said you want to share among 3 cars and didn't want to change a head unit, but... I have an Alpine 9835 with iPod adapter in our ML430 (and XM radio) and it is terrific. I'm debating getting a new Alpine for my 993 and sharing the iPod. It's a great solution if you have 1 car that gets significantly more use than the others. I really regret getting the Alpine CD changer a year or so ago now as the iPod makes changers obsolete.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:22 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Never really been into the whole i-pod scene which is surprising generally I've been a very early adapter of 'new' tech. The i-pod mini's look like a cool device and the newer i-pods have a ridiculous amount of storage, however, I have an almost weightless nike mp3 player for sports that is secured on an armband and an mp3 cd player for the car that Ive had in the M-Class for years. There simply isnt enough music that I've had to burn very many CD's for the car. I have one CD with many, many folders of all music genres and another CD containing comedy, kids stories (for those long trips) and other miscellaneous audio so its not like I have to swap or or spend time or money on disks. I also have a fair few songs, movies etc that I rip/d'load and place on 1gig memory sticks that I play on a PSP thats just fantastic when travelling by air.

I guess if you use an ipod frequently when at work or in the car the ability to have the one plug and play music source is disireable.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:16 AM
Wonkdonk
Advanced

I use my mini mainly at the gym and on trains/planes etc but I've always wanted to use it in my car. So, I've looked into it quite a bit.

The iTrip type of FM transmitter is the least desirable of the 3 possible options from a quality point of view. Best is a direct line-in connection to the head unit; next is the ugly cassette style adaptor, and finally the FM transmitter.

If the other 2 aren't an option, then, like me, you're looking at the FM route. From all that I've read, the XtremeMac Airplay FM Transmitter is the daddy. It's easier to use than all the others and has a slightly stronger transmitter (well, it's actually a different design of aerial, but the effect's the same!), resulting in clearer reception by the head unit.

Here's a picture of it.

I'm going to combine one with a Ten Flexdock for mini iPod. This plugs into the cigar lighter and acts as a cradle and charger for the iPod.

And here is a picture of that!

It's never going to be ideal, but from what I've read it seems that this combination will be the best solution for me.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Adrian.

PS All the usual disclaimers about no connection with any of the companies etc etc
Old 06-02-2005, 11:23 AM
mwildt
Advanced

Hi,

I recently added this Ipod holder to my Fiance's car. Works great. It attaches to one of the passenger seat bolts.

http://www.holsterguy.com/ARKON%20CM...ck%20Mount.htm

Michael
Old 06-02-2005, 04:39 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

My Monster Charger/FM transmitter works flawlessly....
Old 06-03-2005, 06:22 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys for those who dont have an Ipod but like the idea of playing MP3's in there car may I recomend a blaupunkt woodstock 54.

It has a a slot to put memory cards in which means i just down load mp3's streight onto a card (seure digital) from the pc and bobs your uncle. plus I can record streight off the radio.

oh and its dab so I can actualy get radio! which is nice
Old 06-03-2005, 06:37 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sam... I love your avatar... Is that your wife/girlfriend?

(Sorry for being OT)
Old 06-03-2005, 08:09 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Sale on transmitters for iPod (various types) at http://www.everythingipod.com/ if you're interested.

Oh yeah, I can highly recommend the iBoom http://www.everythingipod.com/produc...tarq=YES&max=1

Marc

No affiliation etc.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:52 PM
mxbanker
Racer

Marc,
Does that iboom rock preety loud. Would be used in a loud enviroment ie: The lake etc etc
Old 06-03-2005, 10:07 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mxbanker
Marc,
Does that iboom rock preety loud. Would be used in a loud enviroment ie: The lake etc etc
No, it would really not do well as a party machine - it is better at moderate levels or as background music. The speakers are just not big enough and the base is weak if you turn it up loud. That being said, it does sound very good at moderate levels.

For louder situations, parties, etc., I would suggest a Cambridge SoundWorks portable speaker system (http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/s...tem=k1pkm31zz). Not iPod specific (just uses a standard mini stereo plug to headphone jack) and does not charge iPod but it has base that would shake the walls when you crank it - amazing considering the size of the unit (about 12" w x 6" d x 15" h). My friend has one and it really rocks.

I like the iBoom as it is all self contained (easier to carry around the hospital or back and forth between OR's) and charges the iPod so less plugs to mess with.

Marc
Old 06-04-2005, 06:56 AM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

John, yes it does mount to the cigar lighter outlet. Here's a picture of what it looks like. It's got an additional coiled charger as well.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: itrip/ipod in UK 964s