Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 10:14 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default itrip/ipod in UK 964s

Is anyone using an iTrip with their iPod in the UK? (Or elsewhere, but particularly in the UK).

How well does it perform?

I've just bought an iPod and would like to be able to use it in all three of my cars, so changing head units isn't feasible.

Looks like I'll go with the iTrip or the Monster transmitter/charger. The 'cassette' type device isn't compatible with any of the three units - unless someone knows one that is OK for a 'non-sideways' cassette slot...
Old 06-01-2005, 10:18 AM
DaveK
Race Car

I use the i-trip (actually, I don't think mine is the real i-trip - think it's a different make but same principle).

I get mixed results - in the Porsche it's actually usually pretty good. In my other car (focus) it seems to get more interference so I tend to try a few more stations before finding one that works.

I don't suppose you're one of the people heading to John Miles in a couple of weeks? If so - I can bring mine with me for you to try.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:21 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

John,

I'm not in the UK but I've got an iPod mini and the iTrip mini. Both work well for me. The sound quality is not as good as listening directly but its good enough. The one problem I ran into on a recent long trip to Vermont is my iPod battery ran down after a few hours. I didn't have a iPod charger with me. You may want to look at the one of the combo FM transmitter/chargers if you make long trips. If you do short trips, then the iTrip is a terrific solution.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:55 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have an iTrip and gave up on it as it as the reception was so bad.

Marc
Old 06-01-2005, 11:10 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Thanks for the replies - they reflect what I have read elsewhere, which is that the reviews tend to say that the itrip is either a waste of money, or the best thing since sliced bread.

I won't be in Devon, Dave, but thanks for the offer. Do you find it's worse in built-up areas, or is there no difference? Do you have to position it close to the aerial?
Old 06-01-2005, 11:16 AM
DaveK
Race Car

I haven't really used it much in built up areas so I can't comment on that. I used it on open roads one time for about 2 hours and it was pretty much perfect all the way. But as I said, it does vary a bit - I tried to use it in the Focus a month or so ago and was getting some interference which eventually annoyed me enough I switched it off.

I don't need to keep it close to the aerial - but you do find that there is more intereference in some positions in the car so it's worth moving it about a bit. And of course it only really works on "unused" frequencies - which means if you're unlucky your radio will suddenly start picking up a strong "real" local station as you are driving along.

If it helps - I did lend mine to someone and they thought it was good enough that they bought one. As mentioned above - not as good as playing CDs in your head unit, but usually not too bad at all.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:41 AM
Christer
Race Car

Some of the 'ipod ready' headunits are not too expensive....I paid £130 for mine....
Old 06-01-2005, 11:48 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

There is also the IceLink by Denison that canplug into many factory or after-market headunits too (appears like a CD changer). http://www.densionusa.com/icelink_info.htm

Marc
Old 06-01-2005, 11:54 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the iPod and the iTrip... They work very well for me. I think it may depend on your particular car as interference varies from car to car.

I wonder if the people who had a bad experience were using it per the directions... Mine is terrible unless I turn the volume down on the iPod to somewhere between the 50% to 70% mark... Then control the volume with the car (or home) stereo. It is not CD quality but the sound is pretty good.

You will definitely need the car charger as the FM transmitter really sucks the battery down quickly. You can probably figure about a 2-3 hour battery life unless you just turn it on and leave it... Then the battery will go out to about 4 hours.

I read the mixed reviews also... I still decided to go for it until there is a better, cheaper interface. I also tried the cassette plug-in... It was terrible.

By the way... I have been using this in my basement to listen to music too. I tune my portable radio to 87.9 and it works very well there too. It's kept me reasonably sane while I have been finishing my basement!

OT - My media room and game room both will have tie-ins to a computer where I have over 4000 songs stored. A touch screen LCD monitor will have a jukebox displayed so anyone can pick a song or a group of songs... If they like, they will be able to burn any selection on the spot.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:04 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Rick - thanks.

I, too, was wondering if some of the problems I've read about have been due to people not taking enough trouble over the set-up.

I think I'll give it a try...
Old 06-01-2005, 12:17 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Another question - as my iPod hasn't arrived yet -

I presume that the 'socket' for connecting a charger is still free when the iTrip is attached?
Old 06-01-2005, 12:27 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by John Boggiano
Another question - as my iPod hasn't arrived yet -

I presume that the 'socket' for connecting a charger is still free when the iTrip is attached?
Yup, plugs into the top headphone socket, leaving the bottom connector free for a charger.

Marc
Old 06-01-2005, 01:15 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Now I'm looking at a thing called a griffin RoadTrip, which is a combined cradle, charger and FM transmitter in one.

Does anyone know if this fits a 964 dashboard OK?
Old 06-01-2005, 02:04 PM
C4-JohnO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stopped using my iPod in the 964 with iTrip.

Didn't find it that good and it was set up as per instructions, some days it was better than others.

Plus you have to remember to take the iPod with you otherwise your in for a busted window at least.

It just meant a pocket full of stuff evrytime I left the car, phone head unit, iPod etc.

I'd rather get a hard wire or dedicated hard disc player now and will be doing so when i have paid for my bike respray 1st.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:48 PM
mxbanker
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have ipod with itrip and it works great (take Ricks advise on 50%) I have an A/C vent mount + a charger and when i leave car I lock it in the glove box.
Also do some boating, use it for that as well(dont have to carry a bunch of cd"s)works great for day camp off of boat with a boom box.

Quick Reply: itrip/ipod in UK 964s