Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Cable Adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 04:22 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

you know how you find your pen when you're looking for you laptop charger?

https://rennlist.com/forums/3155899-post27.html
found this pic which answers my question perfectly ... lucky guess on my part
Old 10-26-2014, 05:02 PM
Michael D'Silva
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good find on the pics.. that helps me somewhat..
Old 12-04-2021, 12:21 PM
Filmore
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HiWind
ahem .... so Adrian's book shows you do need to remove the tray to get to this.

My question now - can't find any pics in the book - is about the manner in which the acc cable should be attached to the throttle mechanism.

Mine has a black plastic connector that holds the end of the cable (clips in around the ball clamp at the end of the cable),
but what is puzzling me is that there seems to be a loose metal clip/nut floating between that connection and the rubber boot that the cable comes through.

Shdn't be floating surely - anyone know where it comes from or how it shd be positioned?
Is it supposed to be clamped over the end of the boot to stop it getting dirty/moving, or is it just right and acting as a little spacer/weight for the boot?
Seems to have the same shape as the boot end. And if it shd be clamped over the boot end, where shd the boot be in relation to the end of the throttle cable?

see this vid re what I'm talking about ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oALBsLL5Do

thanks in advance as ever to all 64Jedi
Necromancing an old thread. I think I'm having a similar issue here but the video is private and not available. The throttle cable is coming loose from the attachment.

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...ontrol-cam.jpg

from https://rennlist.com/forums/964-1989...ml#post3155897

The throttle then gets caught wide open and I have to turn off the engine, re-seat the cable, then can continue as normal.

I can't tell if there is a broken part or otherwise missing clamp keeping the throttle cable sheath in place. Anyone know what this is supposed to look like under operation?
Old 12-04-2021, 09:12 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 396 Likes on 262 Posts

Keep in mind that a while back there were a lot of people removing the return spring from the throttle body because someone else had said in a thread- with great conviction - that this improved throttle response.

And some wise ol'fart chimed in and said, no this wasn't possible, and later in life, your throttle will stick open...

So...i have no idea if this could be your issue...but it is a good idea to check that the throttle return springs are in place just to rule it out. A lot of those cars are probably changing hands at this point...
The following users liked this post:
Filmore (12-05-2021)
Old 12-05-2021, 03:11 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I will definitely keep the Spring and oil it well to return perfectly.
Before any adjustment I will disconnect the cable from the body, pressure in some oil, hook it up as height possible and left it overnight for the oil to run out from the inner câble at the pedal end, then knowing the câble is not sticking I will start to adjusting .
For people who have aftermarker ECU, with TPS you could check if the throttle is opening 100 %
On the softwer .
Old 10-08-2022, 12:58 AM
mystert
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Bumping an old thread here. I replaced my fuel pressure regulator as well as few hoses and what not while I had the passenger side intake off. I got it all back together but the throttle cable is now to short and the throttle body cant close all the way. It runs fantastic when I disconnect the cable from the pedal or the throttle body. Not sure why its was fine before and now its too short. I think I need to adjust the part by the front of the transmission as the adjustment by the pedal is just about at its limit. Maybe I tweaked the throttle cable bracket when I put the new FPR on?
Old 10-08-2022, 02:27 AM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Yes, you need to get in the tunnel though simplly re insert the throttle cable sheath into the adjoining cable sheath will fix the problem The smaller outter diameter sheath should insert into the larger inner diameter sheath at the point were the adjustment is made, though no adjustment is needed here.

Notice the different diameters in the above pic? It'll be obvious what the problem is when you see what's going on at the adjustment point. Slack in the cable made the smaller diameter slide out of the larger diameter, and when you tensioned it later, the smaller diameter didn't return in the the larger sheath but caught on it's edge.

Last edited by mojorizing; 10-08-2022 at 02:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
3DE (12-12-2022)
Old 10-08-2022, 01:45 PM
mystert
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mojorizing
Yes, you need to get in the tunnel though simplly re insert the throttle cable sheath into the adjoining cable sheath will fix the problem The smaller outter diameter sheath should insert into the larger inner diameter sheath at the point were the adjustment is made, though no adjustment is needed here.

Notice the different diameters in the above pic? It'll be obvious what the problem is when you see what's going on at the adjustment point. Slack in the cable made the smaller diameter slide out of the larger diameter, and when you tensioned it later, the smaller diameter didn't return in the the larger sheath but caught on it's edge.
That was easy enough! Took longer to take the plate off the bottom of the car than it did to pop the cable sheath back together. Thanks

Quick Reply: Throttle Cable Adjustment?