Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pedal just hit the floor - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2001, 10:03 AM
MikeF
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Brake pedal just hit the floor - HELP!

Just got the car back from having a new set of springs installed. I drove it quite a bit yesterday and it was fine. This morning on my way in to work, I rolled up to a stop light and when I hit the brake, it went straight to the floor! Scared the **** out of me. I pumped it up and it came back after 3 or 4 pumps. Later as I was approaching the turn into the lot, it went nearly to the floor again. Pumped it up and it came back.
Brake reservoir is full. Could this be caused by an air bubble in a line or am I looking at a more costly problem? Is it just coincidence that my mechanic just installed new springs last Tuesday or could he have done something to cause this?

Thanks for your help.

Mike 94 C2 cab (964)
Old 07-11-2001, 03:58 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Angry

It's quite possible your mechanic removed a brake fitting/line while changing out your springs...although I don't know why he would have to. I just performed this procedure myself.

If your mechanic did in fact remove a brake fitting/line and didn't bleed the system because he either forgot...or was just too damned lazy, it's likely you have air in the system.

As a precaution, return to your mechanic and ask that they bleed the system, they may perform the procedure "gratis"...if not, it's not very expensive.

Your experience would "scare the hell out of me" too! Get it looked at asap.

[ 07-11-2001: Message edited by: Jeff Curtis ]
Old 07-11-2001, 06:27 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Mike,
I agree with Jeff but will expand a little. You have a 94 C2 which means you have the four piston calipers front and back, the ABS hydraulic pump and accumulator installed.
Brake pedal to the floor means no brake pressure. Pumping the brake pedal and you get some back means you are manually pressurising the system.
I would certainly be checked that the mechanic did not damage the ABS Pump or its wiring. I include with this damaging lines. When he is playing with the front suspension he is working directly above and very close to your ABS Pump and it associated components. Maybe the accumulator has been hold, or a pipe crimped or something.
Air in the system will also cause this problem but how the air got into the system is what worries me.
Check in the trunk and on the floor for evidence of brake fluid loss.
Get it back to him asap,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

PS: Do not forget that you need to pressure bleed the system IAW the Porsche manual procedures. Simpler than the C4 but still needs care and attention. Standard bleeding methods are NO GOOD on your C2. In fact this may have been done by this mechanic and made a bad siutuation worse.

Quick Reply: Brake pedal just hit the floor - HELP!