Toyo tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 03:29 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Toyo tires

I just bought put new rubber on my 964 and decided to go with the Toyo Proxes 4s. Haven't driven them enough yet to have much of an opinion on them, but I will say the deciding factor for me was that Toyo has a deal right now where you can try their tires for 500 miles and if you don't like them you can get a full refund, or they'll replace the tires, at your discretion. Just thought I'd pass that along to everybody.
Brian
Old 03-05-2006, 07:44 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been a fan of Toyo RA 1's for some time now. If I am not racing I use them if I am I will use the Hoosiers, bit still run Toyo's for wets. The most consistant tire I have ever had. I had over 50 heat cycles and they not only wore extremely well but stuck the same at the end as they did in the beginning.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:31 PM
JAMES J
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had them on my 300ZXTTurbo...as soon as I bought the C2...Immediately put on the Proxes !!!! As a daily driver hard to beat....sticky to the end....and reliable.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:30 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Funny thing about the Proxy 4's.. I was running my SC at Watkins Glen last October (on Hoosier RS304's) and the rain came. The track was ice cold, nice and wet, and CVR announced that you couldn't run without tires with tread on them.. period. I had what I call my "transport" tires/wheels in my trailer that came on my SC when I bought it, a set of 16" HEAVY cast aluminum wheels (7"/8") with Toyp Proxy 4's mounted. The traction those cheapo tires got in these VERY nasy conditions was excellent. I let a friend go out for a run and he had an instructor that owns a Porsche race shop nearby, he came back into the pits and when he pulled up next to me asked it I was running Hoosier Wets!

I now call these my "rain tires" and I am considering RA-1s (or their shaved equivilant) when my Hoosiers go south.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:54 PM
C4Russ
Burning Brakes

Default Any update on the Toyo's?

bhensarl,

Welll how do you like the Toyo's? I'm thinking about some new tires and I can't decide.

What made you choose the Proxes 4 over the T1S?

Thanks,

Russ
Old 03-29-2006, 12:54 AM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

I really do like the Toyos. I had Dunlop 9000s before these and drove them until they were toast. The Proxes 4s stick better, and they're equally as quiet. They do real well in the wet on the freeway. I got to do a quick track tour up at Fontana this last weekend which is the closest I've ever been to real track time, and they felt great! I'm doing an auto-x in a few weeks so I'll see how they perform then, but so far I really, really like them.
I'm not really sure why I decided on the 4s instead of the T1s, but I think it was based on price and reviews on tirerack.com. So far, I'm a big fan of Toyo tires, and I would definitely recommend them to anyone looking for new rubber! I mean, with a 500 mile trial period with no strings attached, you really can't go wrong.
Brian
Old 03-29-2006, 11:44 PM
JAMES J
Instructor

I stayed with the Proxes T1-S........they are excellent....wet or dry weather...they have special hard rubber compound in the lower sidewall...that provides stability during hard cornering. I like the steering response and grip......in Adrian Streather's book Porsche 911 their featured with a pic. You can go to https://www.tiresavings.com/index.php for more info.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:05 AM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

I have bridgestone s-02s on my car and I think I would like something a lot quieter. Would Toyos do that?

Quick Reply: Toyo tires