Sponsored by:

More engine out help needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 10:58 PM
dsmyth
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More engine out help needed

Thanks for suggestions on the accelerator cable ..that makes sence. Two other questions 1, I was suprised to see alot of oil apperently dripping from ehe chain covers as they were recently resealed. The valve covers are dry.I have the correct gaskets to redo but why would a professional leave a mess like that. They were leaking less before the reseal. Is there a sealer that can be used in conjunction with the rubber gaskets? Should I do this while the engine is out? Is alot of time involved as I only have the lift to sunday nite and have to do clutch.Question 2 Withall the parts I bought I forgot the clutch centering tool.Am I in trouble if the dealer doesnt have one in stock tomorrow oris there a workaround. Thanks again Doug
Old 03-31-2006, 11:03 PM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

The chain covers are easy to remove, but it's not necessarily the covers that are leaking (there is a gasket between the chain housing and the case, and also an o-ring between the chain cover and the cam housing). If it was done recently, you could probably remove the cover to see if there is something keeping them from sealing (it's a rubber gasket). Also, there are gaskets between the chain tensioner covers and the housing that could also be leaking......

The tool will help, but you can center the clutch without it. My tool is labelled "Ford" on it, so you might be able to take the disc to a local autoparts store, and see if they have the correct tool......

Last edited by Eric Kessel; 03-31-2006 at 11:04 PM. Reason: forgot to mention the chain tensioner gaskets
Old 03-31-2006, 11:17 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by dsmyth
I was suprised to see alot of oil apperently dripping from the chain covers as they were recently resealed.
There are pressure rings (donuts) under the lock nuts that will squish and leak if the cover is over-torqued.

Originally Posted by dsmyth
Withall the parts I bought I forgot the clutch centering tool.Am I in trouble if the dealer doesnt have one in stock tomorrow oris there a workaround.
The tool is the same as the one used for the european market Chrysler and USA based Mitsubishi so a regular parts place will carry it, you just have to ask.

Old 03-31-2006, 11:57 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can do the clutch alignment without it, but by the time you've wasted a half an hour and six attempts trying to mate the tranny with the engine you'll wish you had the tool. Sounds like you'll be in business with tools other than the Porsche one, but I'd definitely recommend getting the tool.
Brian

Quick Reply: More engine out help needed