Sponsored by:

Got to keep the fans happy.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 05:32 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got to keep the fans happy.....

A friend of my g/f's arrives tonight and stays until Monday. Apparently, he's "always been into cars" and has asked several times if I will take him out in the 964.

Shame the forecast is so bad - looks like my nice clean car won't be staying clean.

I'm rather disappointed that her friend is an ex boyfriend (from a long time ago) who doesn't speak english. A pretty french girl who really wanted to be taken out in my car would have been much more appealing (regardless of whether she could speak English).

Sad - but I'm looking forward to showing off my car!
Old 03-23-2007, 06:07 AM
Graham L
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

am doing the same this weekend with an australian couple. always nice to introduce people to the car, particually if they've never been out to play in one before - kind of reminds me of all the good points all over again!
Old 03-23-2007, 06:43 AM
JohnMetro
Racer

Originally Posted by Graham L
am doing the same this weekend with an australian couple. always nice to introduce people to the car, particually if they've never been out to play in one before - kind of reminds me of all the good points all over again!
Graham, will you take the couple out for a drive, or take them in turns? Any problems shoehorning a passenger in the back? I ried it out, and with a co-operative passenger, you can get enough kneeroom, but I found my head wedged into a weird angle by the rear glass
Old 03-23-2007, 08:39 AM
964Patrick
Instructor

Anyone taller than about 1,5 meter or so who's excited to be taken out on a drive in a 911 in the back seat, is either crazy or a real enthusiast! not to mention somewhat athletic
Old 03-23-2007, 08:45 AM
Polman
Pro

A nice friend on visit is okay......for a passanger testrun, but I´m so tired off all half friends hows asking and think its no big deal to lend my Porsche for a weddingo or a test ride on their own........
Just the idea off asking me that gives me horror dreams...
Old 03-23-2007, 09:06 AM
964Patrick
Instructor

Fortunately most people understand when I tell them that "only me and my mechanic drive this car". Those who don't understand I wouldn't lend my car to anyway, be it a Porsche or not.

That said I did lend my car to my sister for her wedding. No rule without exceptions right?

I would let my parents drive it but they think its way too fast for them.

Must be an odd feeling indeed taking an ex of your g/f out for a spin. If he doesn't speak english - do you speak his language? Hope you have a good weekend either way.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:32 AM
Seight
Instructor

Dave, have you seen a film with Nicole Kidman called "Birthday Girl" ? See it now.

Cheers
Alex
Old 03-23-2007, 09:33 AM
Graham L
Racer

Originally Posted by JohnMetro
Graham, will you take the couple out for a drive, or take them in turns? Any problems shoehorning a passenger in the back? I ried it out, and with a co-operative passenger, you can get enough kneeroom, but I found my head wedged into a weird angle by the rear glass
always take interested parties out individually, not both at the same time. There's no point in their first experience of a porker being scared, and horribly confined in the back with their heads mashed against the back glass - no fun for anyone!

Unless one of them turns out to be a midget.

Last edited by Graham L; 03-23-2007 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:38 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Ha hahahahahahaha I had two 17 stone mates in the back of mine, damn funny it was too.....no room for anything else at all in there......still makes me laugh now......especially when one of them is 6 foot 2.....

kevin
Old 03-23-2007, 09:39 AM
Graham L
Racer

As to other people driving it, have done in the past, if they're insured, and not a complete retard. I think it's a pretty cool thing to be able to do. Everytime my dad borrows it I know that I'm going to get the call: "well I've managed to get in it, how do I start it?". 10 Mins later: "I've got it started, where the f*** are all the switches?". 2 mins later; "I've just moved off and it's beeping at me, and there are red lights on the dash - what have I done?" etc...
Old 03-23-2007, 09:39 AM
JohnMetro
Racer

Originally Posted by Polman
A nice friend on visit is okay......for a passanger testrun, but I´m so tired off all half friends hows asking and think its no big deal to lend my Porsche for a weddingo or a test ride on their own........
Just the idea off asking me that gives me horror dreams...
Yeah. I tell people that I have a special sports car Insurance policy that precludes ANYONE else from driving the car!

Last edited by JohnMetro; 03-23-2007 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:39 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Sure you can drive it , you can drive it all you want , right after you buy it .

A cute chick in hawaii who owned a older beater 911 targa wanted to drive it , I told her that my motor was more $s than her whole car . So no deal .
Old 03-23-2007, 01:26 PM
Bangkokian
Instructor

Envy you guys who have the roads to really have fun, alone or with the ex, or whoever. sorry, nobody's driving mine in bangkok traffic. Been the source of some interesting discussions with my wife, who hints at her intentions once in a while.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:45 PM
DaveK
Race Car

My g/f has driven mine before, and there are other people I would allow to drive it.

However - when I use valet parking at the airport, I will only go in the Supra. If I get rid of that, I don't think I will continue with the valet parking - they already have a far too big grin on their faces when they bring the Supra back.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:48 PM
Graham L
Racer

Originally Posted by Bangkokian
Envy you guys who have the roads to really have fun, alone or with the ex, or whoever. sorry, nobody's driving mine in bangkok traffic. Been the source of some interesting discussions with my wife, who hints at her intentions once in a while.

have non-driving wife. Problem avoided.

Quick Reply: Got to keep the fans happy.....