Sponsored by:

Starter failure?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 10:20 AM
dboyle
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter failure?

This weekend I finally got around to washing my 91 c2. As usual started after a few twists of the key (doesn't like the idle, she is fussy). So pull it out of the garage, wash it, pull it back into the garage.

Last night I decide to take her out for a spin. Get in turn the key and don't hear the usual fan (I assume) when the key is turned but not all the way over. Didn't think anything of it, crank and get very little cranking... Try a few times and decide that I somehow flattened the battery. So put trickle charger on and hop in another car to go fetch dinner.

This morning take off the trickle charger and go to start it. Nothing at all, no crank at all. Battery seems to be ok cabin lights are strong clock is still tickin'.

It just has that sickening loud 'click' when I turn the key all the way. But no rotation at all, just the click.

I searched around and it doesn't sound like it is the DME Relay cause that seems to be a sign of no fuel. No other dead on forum posts. I haven't lost a starter in a car in years so I don't know the signs of impending doom and or starter death.

Any help would be appreciated!

-Dave
Old 05-08-2007, 10:27 AM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

What's the voltage? If you turn on the headlights, do they dim when you hear the "click"?
Old 05-08-2007, 10:57 AM
dboyle
Intermediate

No voltage check yet, will be checking that this evening. Lights seemed strong and seems strange if the battery is flat...

Was going to clean the terminals and check the earth grounds this evening since those seem to be common issues as well (thank you forum search!)

-Dave
Old 05-08-2007, 11:07 AM
CraigyB

Rennlist Member

Sounds like a dead battery to me. This was my symptom also.. good luck
Old 05-09-2007, 09:05 AM
964Patrick
Instructor

I've flattened my battery on more than one occasion, because of not driving frequently enough. When such is the case, the starter doesn't crank (or only a few times) followed by a rattling sound of a relais going on/off rapidly. Incidentally, I've replaced the starter recently. After so many years of service it has turned into a hunk of corroded junk. However my starter failed progressively. First check the simple things (battery, relais, fuses) before going after the starter. It's quite an expensive replacement.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:19 AM
dboyle
Intermediate

As usual the forum folks know best

Dead battery, trying to sort out now if I have a bad alternator, a power drain or just a bad battery...

Replaced with an optima 75/35 red top (couldn't find the yellow top D35 locally) and am back up and running.

Thanks everyone for the quick response and spot on advice.

-Dave

Quick Reply: Starter failure?