Sponsored by:

What's up with RSA prices?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 01:38 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
Default What's up with RSA prices?

I was kicking around the idea of getting rid of my street RSA, for something a bit tamer fpr the street, and took a look at the RSAmerica.net, Is everyone cashing out of RSAs?, there are no less than 22 on the site for sale. so has the market spoken? Are any of these cars moving for that kind of cash (mid40++) ? I just drove the car after a long spell, and I'm now really torn again, because it is sooo much fun...
Old 07-27-2007, 08:21 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

New, the C2 cost thousands more than the RSA. Rarety is bringing the RSA collector car status and pricing. Pity, because the RSA is a driver's car, and it is getting priced out of the driver-car market.

If you are a collector, the RSA may be a good investment. If you want the RSA driving experience at much lower cost, the price of getting a C2 to drive just like an RSA is $2000 to install the manual rack, and a similar amount for the light-weight interior pieces. Most of the RSAs have AC and sunroof options, making them more like civilized C2s. I suspect an RSA with no AC and no sunroof is so rare that it would fetch top dollar on the collector market.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:52 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by springer3
If you want the RSA driving experience at much lower cost, the price of getting a C2 to drive just like an RSA is $2000 to install the manual rack, and a similar amount for the light-weight interior pieces.
Yea but you forgot about the little RSA decal at the bottom. Thats got to be good for a few grand and probably at least 10+ HP
Old 07-27-2007, 09:33 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Then again, with 22 piled up on the market and the end of the peak sports car sales season in many parts of the country, I'd question if people are really getting mid 40s...maybe yes maybe no...I'm just throwing that out there as I don't follow the RSA market.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:49 AM
cobracarrera
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jimq
Yea but you forgot about the little RSA decal at the bottom. Thats got to be good for a few grand and probably at least 10+ HP
Old 07-27-2007, 10:32 AM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by jimq
Ahhh, this topic just never gets old does it?

To the OP, my opinion for what its worth, is for the RSA (not ultra low mileage museum pieces), mid 30's seems to actually be where most RSA's actually sell in a reasonable amount of time. People that price them in the mid 40's are just testing the market unless the car is really something special. My opinion only. I'm sure there are lots of exceptions...
Old 07-27-2007, 11:13 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny cause I'm also trying to sell my RSA and it's advertised at 43.9K and at that price, I'm loosing quite a bit. Last year I paid 43 for it and it wasn't even near the stage it's in right now. And I'm not talking about maintenance.

22 cars is not so bad and in my opinion it's better for future buyer. Not for pricing but for diversity. If every body is selling in the same price range, it doesn't matter if there is 1 or 20 for sale. What will make a potential buyer opt for yours is what you have to offer.

I don't know what's the big fuss with all the RSA haters cause track prepared C2 are selling from hi 20s to mid 30s, so the gap is not that far off.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:26 AM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been looking at the RSAmerica.net website for over 5 years now (maybe even more) and this is the MOST number of cars available for sale at once that I have ever seen. Additionally, this is the highest aggregate price point, surpassing even the dot.com boom in 2000/2001. I know because I was willing to spend $50K on an RSA back in 2000, but couldn't find a mint one for sale. I did find a mint 94 Speedster, so bought that instead and achieved half of my Porsche plan (2 964s in the garage would have been great!)

I wonder - are we seeing a bubble in the RSA market?

For those that have them - enjoy them! I still want one...

-B
Old 07-27-2007, 11:46 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

There are quite a few RSA's for sale on pano site as well.
Phil
Old 07-27-2007, 11:51 AM
TR6
Drifting

My personal theory is that a lot of folks listing them that are just 'testing the waters' and really aren't actively trying to sell. Then there is the guys that are really trying to sell their RSA's who are mixed in there. Makes for a lot of cars for sale which is good for buyers if you find a seller that is motivated. Personally, I would not sell mine unless some situation forced me to. I'll probably buy another car at some point, but I won't get rid of the RSA to buy it. Its a great car!
Old 07-27-2007, 11:55 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Yea I wasn't trying to retread the C2 vs RSA theme again, but I'm wondering if the market has found it's level. I have to admit if I could get mid 40's I think I would do it in a minute, but to tell you the truth, all the recent 996's I've driven really dont turn my crank, even the ones that have been prepped, the 993's are nice, and if I could find a reasonably priced 993 C2S I'd pull the trigger on it, the problem is a nicely set up RSA is just a really nice setup, and if it was way down in the 30's the margin between the additional cost and the 993/996 doesn't seem to be worth it...

The biggest reason I prefer the RSA over a c2 or later 993/996 is feedback and the manual rack, for me it makes a huge difference in the driving experience, excluding tight parking lots and u turns.

The problem is an rsa is somewhat of a collectors item, and I'm torn driving it every day and racking up the miles, vs getting something more consumable like a 993/996...

That said I'm on my way out the door for a 250mile mountain drive...oh well screw it, garage queens suck...
Old 07-27-2007, 12:28 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Too bad rsamerica.net does not have a date next to the classified posting, then I could parse the page and write it to www.rrdtool.org and trend it over time.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:47 PM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by J richard
The biggest reason I prefer the RSA over a c2 or later 993/996 is feedback and the manual rack, for me it makes a huge difference in the driving experience, ...
You mean there is more to an RSA than decals??? I'm shocked!

Regarding the garage queen vs driver, I say that unless someone has an ultra low mileage RSA, just drive it and enjoy it without worrying about miles. I bought mine with over 132K on it (has had a refreshed engine) and it is very liberating not to worry about miles. I'm at 143K now and loving it! It looks pristine, but it definitely gets used like it was meant to be.

As a side note, my wife and I watched the History of the 911 last night on DVD. She commented after watching old film clips of guys flogging the crap out of 356's and 911's on rough European roads and in rallys that Porsche owners don't drive their cars that way anymore...
Old 07-27-2007, 09:56 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

She commented...that Porsche owners don't drive their cars that way anymore...
Hey, some of us do These cars work on the street but they come to life on a race track

PS: I sold my RSA way to cheap
Old 07-27-2007, 10:31 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We just sold one with 26K miles for the asking price of $42.9K to a guy who has a 993 that he wants to preserve and will use the RSA for track duty. Had it for a few weeks.

Quick Reply: What's up with RSA prices?