Sponsored by:

cup spring rate

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 09:20 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
My old turbo had the non-adjustable RSR setup with 700f / 900r springs (and those MPSCs has 22 heat cycles on them...I kid you not).
Sorry, my mistake, I thought you had JICs. I am going to try BFG R1s for VIR in 2 weeks and see how they do.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:25 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
Don't make me post times from the Glen this year!
Touche. Bet I'd be ahead if I were running slicks, even with a 250 lb disadvantage.

Seriously, the best thing that most drivers can do is to drive a car with a well setup non-adjustable suspension. Once the balance is right, all you have to do is drive the car. And it is the same from track to track. Trust me when I tell you that you really need to know your car, and you have to be very sensitive to changes in order to optimize an adjustable setup for each track.
If I were to recommend a good fixed suspension, 600/800 lb springs, custom valved Bilsteins and a quality set of adjustable sways bars would be the hot ticket.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:50 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Touche. Bet I'd be ahead if I were running slicks, even with a 250 lb disadvantage.
It'd be interesting to see. Unscientifically, I was ~2-3 seconds slower at the Glen with a passenger at a recent DE. 2-3 seconds is a guess as I wasn't timing.

Your stiffer setup should be an advantage at a place like WG, so it would be interesting to see if it can make up for the weight disadvantage vs. the Cups.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:10 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by forklift
If you still have OS problems next weekend you might want to give the raise the spring rate in the front like I did. From what I understand you need to start w/ the gross adjusment first so: springs for general mid corner balance, then sways to fine tune (which should get your mid-corner just right), then shocks to fine tune entry and exit ...

Sorry to hear that you are slower on the new shocks w/ hohos...but that WILL change once you get everything dialed in.
Thanks for the info and encouragement, Jim. I was up a few weeks ago at Road America so I feel I'm getting closer. Hopefully, I'll only need a few minor tweaks to get her hooked up.

Larry, Would agree with your suggestions on a non-adjustable setup. Most of my improvement will come from my driving and fiddling with the suspension has proven to be a distraction. I think the arrive and drive crowd is definitely on to something. All they worry about are laptimes and leave the rest to others.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:48 PM
sten gr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been sliding around the track with 95 nm/mm front and 180 nm/mm back.
This is something like 540 lbs/in front and ca 1000 lbs/in back
Previous owner vas not happy with the under steering cup springs and installed the Ôhlins based on the recommendations from the Öhlins expert / importer. The car got terrible over steer witch he believed vas from the stiff rear. Then I took over the car and tried out different damper setting and I have usually been backing out of the track.
I Norway we have slow tight tracks and I am gone try with 140 nm/mm rear springs (ca 700 lbs/in) and keep the front as is.
Please feel free to comment.

@ Arild
Kan du ringe meg.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:22 PM
Carrera51
Race Car

Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

"Seriously, the best thing that most drivers can do is to drive a car with a well setup non-adjustable suspension. Once the balance is right, all you have to do is drive the car. And it is the same from track to track. Trust me when I tell you that you really need to know your car, and you have to be very sensitive to changes in order to optimize an adjustable setup for each track.
If I were to recommend a good fixed suspension, 600/800 lb springs, custom valved Bilsteins and a quality set of adjustable sways bars would be the hot ticket."

I am with Larry on this one. My dad's 964 has the H&R Super Cup stuff in it with 964 RS sways. Works great at the tracks it goes to (SP, WG, VIR). For me adjusting the nut behind the wheel yields the most improvement in lap times.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:48 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sten gr
In Norway we have slow tight tracks and I am gone try with 140 nm/mm rear springs (ca 700 lbs/in) and keep the front as is.
Please feel free to comment.
This should be an improvement.

Quick Reply: cup spring rate