Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 or 5mm spacers on fronts of 964?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 07:54 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 4 or 5mm spacers on fronts of 964?

I'm looking to add about 5mm in spacer to the front of my 964 to help the BBS Motorsport wheels sit better. I've read that up to 5mm isn't a problem using the original wheel studs - that there's enough thread to have a steel wheel nut hold properly / safely. Anyone have confirmation on what the limitations are (ie: 4mm is as much as you can do, or 5, 6... I know for 7mm you need longer studs).

Thanks
Old 03-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wondered about this. Don't want to lose hub-centricity for wheels.

RT
Old 03-13-2008, 08:23 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 190 Posts

I've done 6mm... and lived to tell about it. 6mm is the absolute max with the stock wheel studs. I measured it at 6mm and the thread left on the stud was exactly the same as the diameter of the lug nut, which is what you need. Any less thread (meaning larger spacer) and you'll be swimming in dangerous waters...
Old 03-13-2008, 08:36 PM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ilko
I've done 6mm... and lived to tell about it. 6mm is the absolute max with the stock wheel studs. I measured it at 6mm and the thread left on the stud was exactly the same as the diameter of the lug nut, which is what you need. Any less thread (meaning larger spacer) and you'll be swimming in dangerous waters...
But was the wheel still hub centered or were you relying on the studs to center the wheel at that point?

Be nice if there were "extended hubs" to use the smaller spacers.

I may go measure this evening.

RT
Old 03-13-2008, 09:24 PM
parsecnc4
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ag02M5
But was the wheel still hub centered or were you relying on the studs to center the wheel at that point?

RT
If I recall correctly, there is very little if any of the hub center lip left with a 6mm spacer. Certainly not enought to help center the wheel.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:34 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

That's the info I am looking for - what's the limit of the hub's centering ring... If 7mm loses it altogether, and 6mm is "iffy"... 3mm is probably a no-brainer, but is it 4 or 5mm? Pelican sells both 4 and 5 for about the same price and I'd like to order the right ones first time. For me, 10mm of added track would be nice up front...
Old 03-13-2008, 09:41 PM
parsecnc4
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RonCT
That's the info I am looking for - what's the limit of the hub's centering ring... If 7mm loses it altogether, and 6mm is "iffy"... 3mm is probably a no-brainer, but is it 4 or 5mm? Pelican sells both 4 and 5 for about the same price and I'd like to order the right ones first time. For me, 10mm of added track would be nice up front...
If you are not rubbing, I would rather stay away from any spacers. If you must, 4mm or 5mm does not really differ by much. I'd say go for the 5mm, but also consider changing out to longer studs and open lug nuts.

Good luck
Old 03-13-2008, 09:48 PM
Blu RS
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You cannot necessarily assume that you can mount a given size spacer (3mm, 5mm, 6mm, etc.) on any wheel/hub/stud/nut combination and that you will be OK. You must measure the combo you have on your car. You MUST mount your chosen wheel using your steel lug nuts, then measure just how much (or how little ) protrusion you have of the steel lug stud beyond (or inside of) the lug nut itself. From that measurement you can then subtract the spacer size you want to run and that will tell you how much depth (number of threads) you'll have left on your lug nut. When I mounted my front track wheels recently, I found that the ends of my studs were flush with the end of the lug nut. Then I measured the full depth in mm (and the number of threads) on my lug nut. From that measure I easily confirmed that I could safely run a 3mm spacer and that's what I just ordered for my 964. I would have rather used 5mm but that would have run contrary to safety margins we used for our Driver's Ed Tech Inspections. For my car's wheel/stud/spacer/nut combo, 5mm just wouldn't have been safe. My alternative might be to swap out for longer studs but I don't want to do that at this time. Once you mount up your wheel combo you may likely find yourself in precisely the same situation, or you've already done the mount up and the lack of thread capture has rightly got you worried. Whatever your case, and as I've mentioned, I've gone with 3mm.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:00 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

I used 7mm and did not have enough thread so used longer studs- you might be ok with 3mm but is that enough to bother even? Only you can answer that.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:05 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

That's the rub. 3mm isn't worth bothering, but 5mm is to me (10mm wider front track). If I weren't lazy, I'd do the whole longer stud package and get 7mm which is the limit of what I can do with my wheels / tires. But I don't want to bother now if I can use a 5 and still have enough centering ring and capture 14 threads (I think that's the PCA limit). 4mm feels too small to bother (like 3) and 6mm I know is pushing my luck. Maybe it's too much thinking to bother, but $40 for 10mm of track feels worth it as long as I'm safe.

As to the points made by Blu RS - I was hoping to find somebody with a 964 and BBS Motorsport Magnesium wheels for a direct comparison so I can order the correct spacers once and not get something in and find out I went too high or low...
Old 03-13-2008, 10:22 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

I'm with Blu RS cause when I had my Kinesis wheel, I couldn't use any spacer cause I didn't even have full nut. So even if the rule of thumb is 6mm without changing the studs, it all depends on the wheel being used. I use open steel lugs.

If nothing rubs, why waste your $$ on something you don't need??
Old 03-13-2008, 11:02 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that it is hard to generalize, because each wheel and hub set and stud length may be a little different. I run 7mm spacers on my car, and have enough thread engagement with both Kinesis K28s or BBS mag centered Motorsport wheels. My studs are only recessed 3mm from being flush. Next time I do the bearings though, I'll get 10 mm longer studs.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:52 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Ag02M5

RT
If you want hub engagement 4mm is the max. 5mm is flush, 6mm stick out IIRC. That's on a stock Cup I wheel.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:41 AM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am running 7mm on all four wheels. Works perfectly.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:42 AM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ilko
If you want hub engagement 4mm is the max. 5mm is flush, 6mm stick out IIRC. That's on a stock Cup I wheel.
Good info.

On the other side, what is the smallest spacer that has the extended hub built into it. Granted...longer studs will be required.

RT

Quick Reply: 4 or 5mm spacers on fronts of 964?