Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best pedal overlays for heel and toe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 04:01 AM
ketel
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best pedal overlays for heel and toe?

Gang,

What's the consensus view on the best pedal overlays for improved heel and toe in racing applications? I'm looking to upgrade the pedal cluster in my '89 C4 as I slooooowly turn it into a full-time track car.

Thanks all.

ketel
Old 06-15-2009, 04:09 AM
jneteler
Racer

Ketel,

That depends on the size of your feet. Overlays might work if you wear less than a size 12 or 13.

With size 14's (wide) and long legs, I have to take care not to hit multiple pedals inadvertently.

JNeteler
Old 06-15-2009, 06:20 AM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I use a Rennline set of basic pedal covers for brake and clutch, and they I use this really nice, fully adjustable gas pedal.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:25 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I have these from better bodies.
http://www.betterbodiesmotorsport.co...ackpedals.html
Old 06-15-2009, 08:37 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I use the stock pedals, but have screwed a 1/4" piece of carbon fibre (with non slip grip tape) to the accelerator pedal to raise it up. I much prefer the stock rubber pads to the aluminum bolt on pieces. One tip is that if you use the non slip tape, use a piece of 120 grit sand paper to sand the non slip tape and make it less grippy.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:09 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
I use the stock pedals, but have screwed a 1/4" piece of carbon fibre (with non slip grip tape) to the accelerator pedal to raise it up. I much prefer the stock rubber pads to the aluminum bolt on pieces. One tip is that if you use the non slip tape, use a piece of 120 grit sand paper to sand the non slip tape and make it less grippy.
Did the same thing. Came out perfect. Of course, mine is wood and not CF.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:11 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Did you paint it black at least?
Old 06-15-2009, 10:22 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

+ 1 for stock pedals
Old 06-15-2009, 06:03 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
+ 1 for stock pedals
+2

Good question. I've had the Wing pedal on my car. It's a great lever but provides too much torque. It actually popped the throttle rod out of the back of my Factory pedal.

Next, I tried the Rennline item. No more worn out ball and socket link to worry about but hold on ... all that fancy hardware includes a hinge which bolts together (as opposed to a single hinge bolt). That item actually came apart on me, too, when the tunnel-side bolt came undone.

Nice design but you need to address this potential issue. A new Factory pedal, though, modified as described above, should get the job done.

$0.02
Old 06-15-2009, 06:26 PM
Chulo
Racer

I, too, did the same thing, but with wood and nonstick tape. Great pedal feel. If you do cup floor boards, or rennline metal ones, don't forget nonstick tape there as well.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:28 PM
Chulo
Racer

Originally Posted by joey bagadonuts
+2

Good question. I've had the Wing pedal on my car. It's a great lever but provides too much torque. It actually popped the throttle rod out of the back of my Factory pedal.

Next, I tried the Rennline item. No more worn out ball and socket link to worry about but hold on ... all that fancy hardware includes a hinge which bolts together (as opposed to a single hinge bolt). That item actually came apart on me, too, when the tunnel-side bolt came undone.

Nice design but you need to address this potential issue. A new Factory pedal, though, modified as described above, should get the job done.

$0.02
Didn't you have one of these fall apart last year at Road America, or was that Dave? These things scare me... Too many parts to them. No affiliation with wood or nonstick tape, fwiw.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:14 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two years ago. My foot went to the floor while exiting T3 of the first lap of the Sprint race. I pulled off to the inside (grass flying! underwear soiled!), came to a halt, kicked off my right shoe, pinched the rod between my toes and made it to the exit at T5. Phew!

I tossed the Wing into the first trash bin I could find.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:00 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you paint it black at least?
Paint adds weight.

Marc

Quick Reply: Best pedal overlays for heel and toe?