Sponsored by:

my '91 964 Speedo is on crack

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 10:37 AM
smongiovi
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my '91 964 Speedo is on crack

For the last several months my 1991 911C2 has had eratic speedo sysmtoms. The needle will often not register any speed, then suddenly start working, then just as suddenly dies, then comes back to life fluctuating wildly. Any combination of those three symptoms happens at any time. Sometimes it works fine for hours, sometimes not at all.

Since I'm almost always driving over the limit, my true speed is not really that important. However since the darn thing is often not registering a speed at all, the rear wing doesn't auto deploy and of course the odometer is not registering the miles properly. So, I'd like to get this fixed without replacing the gauge.

My research on this indicates the problem may be with 'Relay 52' which apparently has something to do with the speedo operation.

Anyone else encounter this problem?
Is there a way to determine if 'Relay 52' is funtioning properly?

Last edited by smongiovi; 09-03-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:30 AM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

Not sure on these if cable driven and sounds more like a connection issue or bad cable. Have you pulled the dial to see if anything is lose behind the speedo?
Old 09-03-2009, 12:03 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed - try pulling the dial and unplugging the conector, then reconnecting it.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:12 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

clean the connector pins with a pencil eraser
Old 09-03-2009, 12:33 PM
smongiovi
Track Day

Will pull the gage and inspect and clean it up...My understanding is that to remove the guage I simply pry it out gently with a flat head screwdriver...anything else I need to know about removing the guage? I deff don't want to break anything else...

Thanks for the feedback folks!
Steve
Old 09-03-2009, 12:46 PM
martin964
Intermediate

just pull it out using the srewdriver. it is held in with the neoprene ring an that is it. Mine is out and away for repair for the third time (my issue was the odometer not the speedo) they fixed the cogs, but it still occaisionally would not work for about 10 miles on start up. As I am not really interested in keeping miles off the clock, I want them to fix it! (fingers crossed this time it is sorted)
Old 09-03-2009, 01:06 PM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

also on the screwdrive use tape on the tip not to gauge the dial or dash.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:42 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

I had the exact same experience with my 89 C4. Still unresolved as the engine is now out of the car for repair. I couldn't decide if it was a bad speedo or sending unit. I know the tolerance on the flywheel-to-sending unit is critical. If cleaning the contacts doesn't work, you might try pulling the sender, located on the driver side of the bell housing, and cleaning/readjusting it. I will be able to check mine while the engine's out, but will remember the advice on cleaning the contacts if that doesn't work.

Speedo does play havoc with the spoiler.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:45 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can probably pull it just using your fingers - I find it's one of those jobs that's all in the mind - if you know it can be done that way then you just do it and it works, if you're not sure then it won't budge.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:55 AM
evoderby
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smongiovi
For the last several months my 1991 911C2 has had eratic speedo sysmtoms. The needle will often not register any speed, then suddenly start working, then just as suddenly dies, then comes back to life fluctuating wildly. Any combination of those three symptoms happens at any time. Sometimes it works fine for hours, sometimes not at all.

Since I'm almost always driving over the limit, my true speed is not really that important. However since the darn thing is often not registering a speed at all, the rear wing doesn't auto deploy and of course the odometer is not registering the miles properly. So, I'd like to get this fixed without replacing the gauge.

My research on this indicates the problem may be with 'Relay 52' which apparently has something to do with the speedo operation.

Anyone else encounter this problem?
Is there a way to determine if 'Relay 52' is funtioning properly?

Had the same problems, I pulled the relay and cleaned the contacts.....haven't had any problems since (10K km).

The relay itself is quite expensive at around 180 Euro.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:47 PM
smongiovi
Track Day

Well I pulled the speedo, cleaned the contacts, pulled the relay and also cleaned that up too - sadly, no luck with this. Still eratic action on the dial. Unless there are any other suggestions, I think a trip to the repair shop is next for this particular problem.

Thanks for the advise, I really do appreciate it, this is a great place to share thoughts on these magnificent cars.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:50 PM
craig001
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Sending unit?
Old 09-06-2009, 07:18 PM
smongiovi
Track Day

Looks like the possible sources of the problem are either the sending unit, the relay or the speedo itself.

Anyone know how I can get at that sending unit and what I can check for when I get at it?
Old 09-06-2009, 09:42 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by smongiovi
Looks like the possible sources of the problem are either the sending unit, the relay or the speedo itself.

Anyone know how I can get at that sending unit and what I can check for when I get at it?
If you'll PM me with a phone number, I'll send you a phone pic or two of my '89 C4 sending unit. I think yours is the same. I have the engine out and the transmission removed, so you can clearly see how the sending unit relates to the flywheel.

It's on the driver side, between 2 and 3 o'clock when viewed from the front (transmission) end of the motor. It's attached to the case with a 2 bolt bracket just in front of and above #3 cylinder. Setting is by loosening a third bolt that holds it in the bracket and with feeler gauge measurement to the flywheel rear teeth. These are the larger teeth, not the starter teeth.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:36 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Here are a couple of snapshots. You'll have to imagine the trans in place.

You can access this from underneath the car, but I'm sure it will be a little tedious because it is "up in there".

Good luck.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: my '91 964 Speedo is on crack