Quick Questionnaire to 964'ers

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 04:27 AM
sarook_99
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Questionnaire to 964'ers

Dear 964 owners,

I'm a 964 lover who's had the pleasure of joining this brilliant forum not long ago.
I've had a short opportunity of driving a 1988 930 targa "turbo-targa" in 2003 and since then I've been in love..
Currently I drive an Audi A6 with a 4.2L engine, and it gave me nothing but pleasure, yet I feel so disconnected.
I live in Alberta, Canada, and I have the chance of trading my A6 with a nice 964 C2 who's owner have her sitting on carpets.. literally.
My question for all of you, despite "our" biased opinion,is:
Would you do this, and why? bearing in mind that I'll be driving the 964 on a daily basis (10K Kms a year)

I thank you for your time and participation.
Cheers.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:35 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If your used to the all wheel drive Audi, the C2 can't compare in the snow, which I assume you get allot of.
Even my C4, which is great on slick roads or snow which is not too deep, cant compare with my Volvo Cross Country Wagon. Ground clearance is an issue here.So, I would recommend against your purchase of a C2 for all year use.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:49 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

For me a lot would depend on the nature of the daily commute. I deal with traffic on my way to work. The 964 is still fun to drive, but if I run into stop-and-go, it is a chore. Reliability and fuel economy are pretty good. Total running cost for a 964 in daily driving is going to be higher than an economy-oriented car. Tires, brakes, oil changes, and tune-ups all carry a premium, but a 964 is tops on smiles per gallon.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:51 AM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 77 Posts

I too live in Alberta (Calgary specifically). I don't think I would like to have my C2 as my daily driver in Calgary. Although in the summer its basically used daily, I do have another vehicle I can drive should the need arise. Winter would be another story all together. Although I've been told even C2's with a good set of winters are great in the snow, I really don't know if I would want to rely soley on a 15-19 year old Porsche for daily duties in -35 degree weather. If the C2 is as nice as you say, find a way to buy it but still try to have an alternative vehicle IMO!!

Good luck!

Derek
Old 11-27-2009, 04:20 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an A4 (B6) and a 911 C2 (and a 944S2). So I live your condundrum everyday. Do I take the "library", quiet, comfortable (esp over crap TO streets!), great stereo, roomy and easy to drive? Or do I take the car that ignites my soul, makes me smile like a little boy and stuns me with its performance and general "wow" factor through every kilometer? If the roads are clear, the decision is instant. 911 every time! This summer, the A4 has sat for weeks at a time.

If I could own only one though? With the snow and rain? A4 hands down. Better to be safe, and have the relative reliability of the newer, AWD car. Chipped and with a BBK - not a terrible car to drive.

Frankly - you NEED to figure out how to own both. If you can't - I'd humbly suggest - the timing's not yet right for the 911.

RK
Old 11-28-2009, 07:51 PM
jsham
Instructor

I have had several A6 4.2's, and worked for Audi for over 10 years, but you didn't say what year on either, milage on either, cond. on either etc.
If it is truly a similar trade, meaning the cars are very close in condition, then I would make the trade, but without knowing the particulars I can't give you a fair opinion. Please give us some more info.....
Cheers
Old 11-29-2009, 10:23 AM
mojo747
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Make the trade and get a cheap old Toyota 4wd pickup for particularly nasty days. The 964 will hold it's value better than the A6. Go for it! You can always get another Audi later.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:03 PM
J-F-O
Instructor

In my case, I live in Montreal and found that the 964 is not that great as a DD for the city. The roads are just in such bad shape and traffic is slow. The fun factor is low in those situations. I decided to use my Audi A4 as the DD and enjoy the P-car when the roads are clear. My suggestion would be to buy the 964 and get a used Subaru for winter. But, if Alberta roads are in better shape than Montreal you could probably get away with just the 964.

PS: New Québec regulations require all cars to have winter tires on each wheel from december to april so that would mean I can't use (even on sunny winter days) the P-car in winter unless I invest in winter rubber.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:16 PM
sarook_99
6th Gear

Originally Posted by jsham
I have had several A6 4.2's, and worked for Audi for over 10 years, but you didn't say what year on either, milage on either, cond. on either etc.
If it is truly a similar trade, meaning the cars are very close in condition, then I would make the trade, but without knowing the particulars I can't give you a fair opinion. Please give us some more info.....
Cheers
I'd like to thank those who read and/ or replied to my "first" post here.
As for your questions jsham..
My car is a 2005 A6 4.2L V8 Quattro, with 60K Km on it and still on factory warranty.
The 964 is a 1991 North American C2, midnight blue ext, white interior, 50K miles and all service done at a Porsche certified dealer in Edmonton.

So many thanks,
Old 11-29-2009, 09:56 PM
Oracle
Pro

I'm in Calgary and for the winter I use a disposable ford. I would never use a Porsche for winter, probably will survive but it won't be fun when cars around you are slipping in all directions (did you drive 2 days ago??) Sheezz.. that was frozen hell.. Any impact will almost total the car (read book value).
Personally I wouldn't do it... but I drive my car during those warm chinook days and I love it!
Old 11-29-2009, 11:28 PM
jsham
Instructor

Sarook,

Are both cars paid off? How many owners has the 964 had? Nice P cars are becoming harder and harder to find, but A6 4.2 is not, it's not a RS6 (not saying it not a great car). Do yo have the funds to purchase another car for daily driver? I use my car almost every day and I also live in a cold snowy part of the country, my advice is like others that have replied, get a PPI and if it passes with flying colors NEEDING NOTHING or fixed at the owners cost, make the deal! You only live once and I would never pass up a chance to own a P car, especially a 964 in good shape & color!
Any pictures of the car? Keep us posted!!!
Old 11-30-2009, 12:19 AM
sarook_99
6th Gear

Originally Posted by jsham
Sarook,

Are both cars paid off? How many owners has the 964 had? Nice P cars are becoming harder and harder to find, but A6 4.2 is not, it's not a RS6 (not saying it not a great car). Do yo have the funds to purchase another car for daily driver? I use my car almost every day and I also live in a cold snowy part of the country, my advice is like others that have replied, get a PPI and if it passes with flying colors NEEDING NOTHING or fixed at the owners cost, make the deal! You only live once and I would never pass up a chance to own a P car, especially a 964 in good shape & color!
Any pictures of the car? Keep us posted!!!
Yes, Jamie, both cars are paid off. The Porsche had two previous owners, the current bought it from his friend's father who hardly drove it. It's in an immaculate shape, and despite that the interior is white it's clean as snow. I love the midnight blue but not sure about the white interior. It still is..a beauty indeed.

Thanks for replying, Jamie.
Cheers
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Quick Questionnaire to 964'ers