Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 RS America V Euro 964 RS (magazine article)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 09:54 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts
Default 964 RS America V Euro 964 RS (magazine article)

Looks like there will be an interesting article in the August issue of 911&Porsche World magazine?

911&PW reader, Dan Travers, shipped his 964 RS America over to Europe for a once in a lifetime road trip. We met up with him in a Euro spec 964 RS to compare and contrast.

http://www.911porscheworld.com/ (no affiliation...)

I know this has the potentail to start more of the same arguments, but it's a great idea for a story and BIG hats off to Dan Travers for shipping his car over. Can't wait to read it, either way a 964 wins, so all is good.

P.S. - I like his choice of wheels!!

Attached Images  
Old 06-29-2010, 10:24 AM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the heads up.

not to sound like a drip, but unless the RSA was a special project, (or even a c2 special project such as the car profiled in excellence last month), then its not very interesting to compare it to a real Euro RS.

Actually, i think a good article would be a 964 c2 made into a homemade RS (e.g. the basic mods everyone here does) as compared to a real Euro rs.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:33 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

"The Rarest RS Of Them All Meets Its Euro Cousin"
Ewww... (Side-by-side?... this doesn't have the makings of a flattering comparison. But I have been wrong Many times, before.)

Last edited by elbeee964; 06-30-2010 at 07:43 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:10 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

The proper comparison would be a Euro RS against a US Carrera Cup, much more similar cars.
Phil
Old 06-29-2010, 11:43 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 532 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by pu911rsr
The proper comparison would be a Euro RS against a US Carrera Cup, much more similar cars.
Phil
Well those two are almost identical so you don't really need a comparison.

I'm quite interested in finding out how much better the RS is than a stripped down C2. I hope they have a track test, etc. I'd buy a copy to see those figures.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:57 AM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

i agree with ilko.

The interesting comparison is a real euro RS and a c2 that has the typical rennlist modifications (e.g. suspension, rs like interior/carpet, delete primary muffler, seats/harness, das roll bar, etc) but is still a drive able street car and not a fully prepared race car.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:45 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob 97 993c2
not to sound like a drip, but unless the RSA was a special project, (or even a c2 special project such as the car profiled in excellence last month), then its not very interesting to compare it to a real Euro RS.
No, you don't sound like a drip. Of course the RSA in question has to be modified to some extent. Otherwise, it's a wing and cloth seats v. a factory massaged offering. Who, other than a concours type, would keep an RSA on a stock suspension with 205 front tires? My smart is likely more entertaining.

Now, as others have suggested, a "home built" C2/RSA like many of us have v. the factory offering. Well, stepping into 993 land, that's what I've got. And I'll put my shock valving alone against the nearly 20 year old think of what a 993RS is; we'd quickly see what's "better."

In any case, I'd like to know the nuts and bolts of shipping a personal car "over there" for an extended vacation.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:50 PM
KeithV
Advanced

Default Don not Dan

A quick FYI.

The RS America shipped to the UK (and incidentally now touring Europe for a couple of months - via Le Mans with PCGB and soon to be back visiting the Nurburgring again but in his own Porsche this time ) is Don Traver - not Dan Travers.

A minor issue maybe ... but not to Don.

Tell me there isn't a Porsche owner who wouldn't be interested in retiring and then spending 3 months touring Europe visiting as many racetracks as possible, and driving the Swiss passes and the Deutsche Alpenstrasse in between .

"Good on ya" Don
Old 06-29-2010, 05:58 PM
Greg964
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like the RSA. I like the fact that they came with the sport suspension, sport seats, no power steering, no a/c, and no sunroof for alot less money than a regular C2. If it was 1993 again and I was ordering a new Porsche it would definitely be a blue RSA with LSD (no sunroof, a/c or radio). I think if PCNA had not used the hallowed RS name and called the car something different (like Carrera Club Sport) Porsche traditionalists wouldn't have any issues with it.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:13 PM
Jon A.
Intermediate

FWIW, if anyone's interested, Don Traver has been posting his exploits in the UK 964 Group on Yahoo in more of a blog fashion. http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/porsche964/
Old 06-29-2010, 07:18 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by atcbi5
KeithV hi it's Albert from South Fl, It's is amazing how many haters are out on the RS America. It's one of the reasons I wanted my subscription here cancelled. For being Porsche owners, it's truly awful to bash the Porsche RS America as an incredible car! I have taken mine out several times and the local admiration to the model has always been positive. Unlike here in this place, it's all-negative. Sad to say but true. Anyhow, I have asked the moderators many times to cancel my subscription to Rennlist because I truly do not have any interest in being affiliated with this group. So again please delete my subscription to reenlist please I ask you since my car is truly a piece of garbage and only a stripped down car not worthy of all the smart asses here on this forum.
This is nothing.
Check out the Cayenne Forum (aka P!g Pen)...the RSAmerica is 100x more beloved than a Cayenne.

BTW, I still regret selling my 94 Midnight Blue RSA (limited slip, no sunroof). What a great car.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:19 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

KeithV hi it's Albert from South Fl, It's is amazing how many haters are out on the RS America. It's one of the reasons I wanted my subscription here cancelled. For being Porsche owners, it's truly awful to bash the Porsche RS America as an incredible car! I have taken mine out several times and the local admiration to the model has always been positive. Unlike here in this place, it's all-negative. Sad to say but true. Anyhow, I have asked the moderators many times to cancel my subscription to Rennlist because I truly do not have any interest in being affiliated with this group. So again please delete my subscription to reenlist please I ask you since my car is truly a piece of garbage and only a stripped down car not worthy of all the smart asses here on this forum.
OT, but Moderators can not cancel subscriptions.
You would need to contact the Admin or IB Memberships or IB Adrian.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:31 PM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lewis, your such a stickler

These days. Sure nough, I remember your old RSA. That was the good old days, when all we did was just show up and drive our asses off until thay made us come back in. Then just put our stuff back in the car and drive home.

RS, RSA, 3.2. SC, didn't matter. It was just about the (seat time) driving!

Alan
Old 06-29-2010, 07:34 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry you feel that way. I'm not offended in the least by the most harsh comments directed toward the model (some of which come from me). After 30 years with 911s, owning examples of each air cooled generation (SWB, longhood, 2.7L, SC, Carrera, 964, 993), and specifically two RSAs, I think I'm pretty grounded in where *I* place the RSA in the overall scheme.

No way, no how is anyone going to tell me that a 3000 lb. 911 with a relatively soft suspension and 205 front tires is the pinnacle of the 911 platform. Now that you CAN tweak what the factory delivered and make an extremely enjoyable, relatively affordable car out of it speaks more to the underlying chassis, rather than any "RSA magic."
Old 06-29-2010, 08:15 PM
RSA_27149
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I often wonder why there are such animosities towards a particular model, one that is actually a better driver than a C2 (stock vs. stock). Is it Porsche’s use of the two hallow letters placed in that particular order? This is just hilarious to me.

My very first exposure to the Porsche world was a ride with an instructor in his RSA, equipped with very minor modifications way back when at Laguna. That experience opened my eyes to Porsche. Years later I finally own one. Thinking back - I wonder if I should have talked down on his RSA…or to call him a RS poseur. – Not likely!

I’m a recent proud owner of a RS America. I could have bought and have driven many other Porsche’s in a wide variety of price and vintage, but I chose this particular model and this particular car. I’m happy as I can be, and will leave the internet wiener sword fighting for those who give a damn.

Quick Reply: 964 RS America V Euro 964 RS (magazine article)