Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ring Gear Flywheel and Tiptronic Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2023, 01:15 PM
No_snivelling
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 130 Posts

Since you may be going with welding, I hope you find a good welder who knows how to weld on cast iron which is what the gear is probably made of. The weld will crack if not done correctly.
Old 02-11-2023, 11:24 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by No_snivelling
Since you may be going with welding, I hope you find a good welder who knows how to weld on cast iron which is what the gear is probably made of. The weld will crack if not done correctly.
Ring gears are made of carbon steel and receive a surface treatment, followed by tooth profile grinding.
Cast iron is notoriously difficult to weld because of it's super high carbon content. Also, it wouldn't hold up to the pinion gear slamming into it every time you start your car.

Last edited by Metal Guru; 02-11-2023 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-11-2023, 11:35 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by No_snivelling
For equally spaced welds, can you count the teeth and use them as your guide? I am not a mechanical engineer by any stretch, but my gut says 4 good welds of about an inch long should do the trick. I am thinking of the resistance when I turn over the engine with a wrench; it is a fairly low torque that is needed .
I would go with 14 - 16 intermittent welds about a half inch in length with maybe 4 inches in between welds; whatever you can fit. Use small tack welds to get everything where you want it, then alternate the welds from side to side to limit distortion.
Old 02-11-2023, 11:56 AM
No_snivelling
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
Ring gears are made of carbon steel and receive a surface treatment, followed by tooth profile grinding.
Cast iron is notoriously difficult to weld because of it's super high carbon content. Also, it wouldn't hold up to the pinion gear slamming into it every time you start your car.
That makes sense and good to know they are made of steel. I don't know where I got the impression they were cast iron. My bad.
This should make welding much easier, and I agree a greater number of shorter welds will be better.

Quick Reply: Ring Gear Flywheel and Tiptronic Transmission