Sponsored by:

Window stoppped working.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 09:22 PM
vespam5
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Window stoppped working.

I searched and searched tons of threads on the occurrence but no detailed trouble shooting threads.

My passenger side window stopped working, I checked switches and believe they are are fine, especially since they are all recently replaced by PO. I don't have a electrical schematic for the system yet.

I checked fuse 4 and relay 22 and all the fuses for that matter.

Driver's side works fine so far.

I know regualtors go out often, any testing tips please?

BTW: The two Bentley manuals I purchased hoping for good workshop info are (just about) completely useless for a DIY mechanic like me but that's a rant for another day. (Technical Data, Enthusiast's companion)
Old 07-18-2010, 09:36 PM
Mc.Queen 964
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was stuck one day,

But, I closed the door strongly, and it fixed ,

After that, I put some oil on it.., And it work perfectly.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:45 PM
vespam5
Instructor

Hmm, yeah sometimes a little bang gets things going. After working of cars for 15 years I've had this happen many times, usually a sign of corroded contacts. I gave motor a bit of a tap to no avail though .
Old 07-18-2010, 10:51 PM
Jon A.
Intermediate

I just had one of my switches go bad. For the passenger window, both the driver switch and passenger switch needed to be operable for mine to work, so I took all three out and tested each of them on the driver's window. Once I figured out which one did not roll up the driver's window (the last one of course!), I replaced it.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:54 AM
OUR9II
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jon A.
I just had one of my switches go bad. For the passenger window, both the driver switch and passenger switch needed to be operable for mine to work, so I took all three out and tested each of them on the driver's window. Once I figured out which one did not roll up the driver's window (the last one of course!), I replaced it.
Exactly! Great post describing the troubleshooting approach for this circuit. Try it and report follow-up!
Old 07-19-2010, 03:33 AM
vespam5
Instructor

Ok, so they are in a series circuit. I still don't have a schematic but I know know that both switches must work to the window to roll down even though you are only using one switch at a a time.

I guess one bad switch on the passenger side circuit will cause this and I had a bad switch even though it is only a few months old.

Switches are junk!
Old 07-19-2010, 11:38 AM
Jon A.
Intermediate

FWIW, this is the part that I used for replacement. Fast shipping to Orange County, CA from the east coast... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT
Old 07-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

I have the same problem and replacing the switches didn't work for me. I know the motors are working because the passenger window will work sometimes just not all the time. I have cleaned up the mechanism and it is all now well oiled so not sure what to try next. Wondered if the relay could cause this problem but like I say, drivers side works everytime.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:41 PM
vespam5
Instructor

Jim,

If it's not consistent I'd wiggle the relay and fuse a bit and check for corrosion at the contacts. Also play with the door switch (the one that turns on the interior lights when door is opened). I read on another thread that it interrupts the window circuit but can't confirm that yet.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:42 PM
vespam5
Instructor

Thanks, that is the exact seller I purchased two from this morning......best price. Let's see how long these last!
Old 07-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

I've have removed the relay and given it the once over and it all looks ok. Having said that it is stamped with a date from May '89 so looks like it's the original and may well just be a bit past it now.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:30 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Howley
I have the same problem and replacing the switches didn't work for me. I know the motors are working because the passenger window will work sometimes just not all the time. I have cleaned up the mechanism and it is all now well oiled so not sure what to try next. Wondered if the relay could cause this problem but like I say, drivers side works everytime.
I had similar symptoms so stripped off the door panel. There's an allen bolt half way up the door near the B pillar end that is used to adjust the angle of the window mechanism*. I adjusted its position by a mm or two and the window started working again, smoothly every time. Basically, the glass was snagging in the frame and stopping it from working properly.

* there's also a couple near the A pillar that need to be slackened off so that you can easily adjust the mechanism up and down.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:59 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by vespam5
Thanks, that is the exact seller I purchased two from this morning......best price. Let's see how long these last!
I have bought a 3 of them from him and they have lasted over a year with no problems. At that price I keep a spare in the glove box just in case.

Quick Reply: Window stoppped working.