The Good The Bad And The Ugly

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 01:34 PM
Unkle
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Good The Bad And The Ugly

Hi

Like many starting out on Rennlist I have been reading prior to making a purchase. And I would like to thank all the contributors as I have spent many hours absorbing the info you share so freely.

I live in the UK and at 39years old always wanted a 964 ever since they came out, but never thought I would get one. I had been working on restoring a VW Golf GTI convertible including a full rebuild, so i kind of know enough about engines to know the difference between the big end and the back end lol. Anyway during this time my wife suggested that perhaps we should treat ourselves and get the car I always wanted when the Golf was finished.

So not needing to be told twice, once finished we parted with Golf with only 200miles after the restoration, and my mind turned to the 964 hunt.

After several months we found a nice honest 964 C4 1992 in slate grey. The factory option list is massive. lol

Top tint.
Carpets.
Sports Seats.

No air con here! But what the heck it’s the UK after all, so after picking our new car up 2 hours away this week we got it home and detailed it with a clay bar,paint cleaner wax, leather treatment and food. Don’t know about you, but I have to know its cleaned by me before I want to drive it.

It was my birthday today and I/we decided to take the day off go for a drive, We stopped for 5 mins in a Supermarket car park and over the tannoy I here. “ Would the owner of a Porsche J…… please come to the customer service desk.” Embarrassed thinking the alarm has gone off, I walked down to see a girl standing nest to the counter. Yeah that’s right she hit the car in the car park.

But no one was injured and she had the decency to come and let me know.

So I drove home called the insurance company and set about cleaning it some more. OCD anyone?

Removed the lights and waxed behind and fitted 50% brighter H4 Xenon bulbs while I was there. Detailed a little in the engine bay and thought about the day and the 964 ownership.

What a car BTW, I love it. But an eventful first few days, The engine mounts look like they are contributing to the cabin noise, But this a long term relationship with trips to Europe and the Nurburging planned, (we have visited many times). Can't wait!!.

Last edited by Unkle; 07-29-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:54 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Awsome, Congrats!!!! Nice little VW as well.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:21 PM
Redcoat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Judging by that Golf your new P-car has found a good home - enjoy
Old 07-29-2010, 03:55 PM
Ryan360
Instructor

nice...
Old 07-29-2010, 04:18 PM
kylejohnston1
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

To this day, I still can't see a white Golf without thinking about Mercedes Lane (my imaginary junior high girlfriend). Any former License to Drive fans out there?

Old 07-29-2010, 05:11 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

You're doing well by your cars, Sir.

Regarding that parking lot clunk - I'm thinkin' said woman might have perhaps/maybe/potentially been so forthright because part of her may have thought, "Crap!.... [!] wait a minute... - I wonder what the owner of that p'oRsh looks like?"

Stranger motivations than that have been known to exist...
Old 07-29-2010, 06:02 PM
RSA_27149
Racer

Originally Posted by kylejohnston1
To this day, I still can't see a white Golf without thinking about Mercedes Lane (my imaginary junior high girlfriend). Any former License to Drive fans out there?
Mercedes Lane / Heather Graham - she has been my dream girl since I was a kid...and still is...

To the OP - Both very nice cars. Hope you get your minor scrape fixed soon.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:33 PM
ian89C4
Pro

Looks great, welcome!!
Old 07-29-2010, 11:49 PM
supark
Advanced

oh wow, that is a pristine golf resto - how much did it hurt to sell her?
Old 07-30-2010, 12:57 AM
Dsqr964
Instructor

Great 964, I also teethed on VW's but mine were all air cooled from beetles, buses, to a Karman Ghi I had before owning my first 911 a 77' Targa s model, the 2.7L engine. Grats again on the nice find and a hand for a job awsomely done on your Jetta. -D²
Old 07-30-2010, 01:16 AM
PorscheZen
Rennlist Member

wow, no a/c...
Easier to change your pulley system to a single system = + 6-8hp
Search this thread on the pros/cons...
Old 07-30-2010, 03:20 AM
Unkle
Pro

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Not sure about the possible reasons elbeee but i like your thinking!

VW was nice, with every nut and bolt replaced and the whole car flawless, but it didn't hurt at all when i had something better to focus on, it kind of spurred me on. I look at the 964 stone chips in the bonnet and don't care at all. i just think of that line in Jarhead, "this is my 911, there are many others like it but this one is mine"

The main thing is getting my head around the parts pricing, But it will take time. Off to by some new engine mounts today so that should sort a few issues out. I will look into the pulley system when i am confident all the areas on the car are covered and its running sweet without an issue, thanks for that i will have a good read into it.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:49 AM
deutschland-dobson
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking good bud. Loving the Golf too!

My first colour choice was Slate Grey, just couldnt find the right car.

Any plans for mods, or will you keep her stock?

Chris
Old 07-30-2010, 05:11 AM
Unkle
Pro

I think I will be leaving it stock, i'm a real fussy driver and want everything right way before i think of mods.

I also want to do long European journeys in the car. Went to Germany and Switzerland last year, so i think stock suspension would be the order of the day. Its still a toy, but not really a track toy. I didn't really want slate grey TBH, but i wanted the right car and the colour was the last thing on the list to be concerned with. Now its growing on me, and i think its a nice colour.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:58 AM
RichiRich
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

You may want to leave the suspension stock, but if it's old it may need renewing - most go down the Bilstein HD route, available from www.carnewal.be, who can also fit for you at a reasonable rate - do some searches on here or 911UK.com to find out more.

IMO I think Slate Grey is a really nice colour for a 964.

Quick Reply: The Good The Bad And The Ugly