Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Multi purpose needs, how many of You guys have more than one 964?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 10:04 AM
Henrik964
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Multi purpose needs, how many of You guys have more than one 964?

Problem and/or make sense, car is getting more and more track oriented, love it, starting to be where I'm aiming. Now, flipside. cage, too loud, a bit too hard ride, impossible to get a baby seat in the back for go and buy icecream (front seat taken and non airbag delete). So solution and strategy forward: I just made an offer on a go buy icecream on sundays car (org, manual, c2) . Today this is not really a problem, baby still too small but next summer this will be reality. Has anyone else thought/done the same? Can someone agree this is a good idea or am I missing something?

Now he was seized with dread, current car will go into pending stage, time and budget cuts but will still be there though, would hate to let it go, sure baby will love current car in 5 years.... have no place for it yet but will sort that out if the seller take the offer.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:36 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,950 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix964

Problem and/or make sense, car is getting more and more track oriented, love it, starting to be where I'm aiming. Now, flipside. cage, too loud, a bit too hard ride, impossible to get a baby seat in the back for go and buy icecream (front seat taken and non airbag delete). So solution and strategy forward: I just made an offer on a go buy icecream on sundays car (org, manual, c2) . Today this is not really a problem, baby still too small but next summer this will be reality. Has anyone else thought/done the same? Can someone agree this is a good idea or am I missing something?

Now he was seized with dread, current car will go into pending stage, time and budget cuts but will still be there though, would hate to let it go, sure baby will love current car in 5 years.... have no place for it yet but will sort that out if the seller take the offer.
Turbo for the street, C2 for the track. Some say i have it backwards but the C2 is fast enough for track fun and far cheaper to maintain.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:39 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried to buy a 2nd one , a cab that had slid into ditch and gotten wet .
I had hoped to make a beater beach cab 964 .

If you have two , you have a whole set of spare parts to play with .
Old 08-10-2010, 11:57 AM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Got a street car in 94, evolved into a club racer, then I bought an identical (grand prix white/navy blue interior) street car again in 2008. Would love to own a 997 or Cayman, but don't have room for it AND I just can't bring myself to sell the 964. It's too much fun and you wouldn't believe the thumbs up I get on what is really just an old white Porsche
Old 08-10-2010, 12:05 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Oh the slippery slope...Yep, if one is good two is better and more is just right....

I've always had at least one 911 in one form or another, started early on with autoX and then DEs so they tended to be slightly modded street cars, no cage etc, but good suspensions... Was tracking the RSA, monoballs/bilsteins/HR/cup bars etc... Fun on the track but fine on the street, added the rollbar and leather PP, and it's still a fine DD... But one close call at a de was a wakeup and I decided that it was stupid to write it off so I got a 944spec for racing, while the racing with other guys in a spec class is a blast I still enjoy the 911 more than the 944, so I found and rebuilt a 20k mile, fire damaged RSA into a eurocup racecar and use that for DEs and open track days.and race the 944 and drive the street RSA when I don't need to take the truck to the office.

Now I'm considering taking advantage of the market and getting a 996 cup and selling the 964 racecar. It's almost too nice to race, and is an outstanding DE car...
Old 08-10-2010, 01:03 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Having two 964's is great if you have the space to store them. My cabrio is fun to cruise the mountain roads with my girlfriend and the coupe is a great street/DE car. I'm resisting the urge to modify the coupe too far which makes it a track only car. I don't want to have to have a trailer and tow vehicle.

I have had thoughts of selling the cabrio and just keeping the coupe.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:10 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

With all the problems I'm having with my one, I can't imagine trying to pay for two!!!

Seriously, are you stuck on 964s or would you be interested in other Porsches? If / when I buy another Porsche, it won't be a 964. Not (just) because of the issues I'm having with mine, but I like to experience different Pcars. (See signature!) If you're getting another car, try something new and different!

JMO of course!
Old 08-10-2010, 01:50 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug&Julie
With all the problems I'm having with my one, I can't imagine trying to pay for two!!!

Seriously, are you stuck on 964s or would you be interested in other Porsches?
Doug,
Get your 64 running right and you will better understand the OP's question. 964 are the perfect balance between old and new, raw and refined.

You've just started/ended your 964 journey. Having lived with mine for a couple years and seen how great these cars are, I could easily live with a couple more and not miss older/newer 911s. A track car, an R Gruppe/Rat car, a 100% stock car, a cab, a Turbo...OR a jelly bean color car (ok, I'm stuck on 964s).

That said, I'd love a longhood...but not as my only 911.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:00 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I have to agree.

After owning a 71 911E, several 911SC's, 928's, 914's and a 944 along with a few others they all have their pros and cons but the 964 does cover just about everything the earlier cars do and mixes it with all the necessary modern conveniences. These are not the daily drivers of the new 996-997 series but for all around fun IMO these are the best of what Porsche is all about. The 993 is nice but looses some of the old world feel of the earlier cars that the 964 still retains. If you want more of a GT buy a 928. Otherwise these are fantastic cars and offer the best build quality of any Porsche made.

Buy a good example and you will have a reliable fun car far less quirky than the earlier models.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:33 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I make the distinction with torsion bar cars and coil spring cars. (Really now, a 964 and 993 are so similar as to be indistinguishable if you were to drive one "blind.") So I've got three. All for different purposes. Though the RSA is sitting in a warehouse, it has served as the compromise between the street cruiser C4S and the faux RS. If life threw me the ultimate curveball and I could only have one 911, it would be something from the 964 era in the ~$20K range. Could still function as a street car, and be plenty competent at the track even against the newest stuff.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:45 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by race911
(Really now, a 964 and 993 are so similar as to be indistinguishable if you were to drive one "blind.")
I agree they are the same platform with the rear modified to accept the newer suspension.

Although I can easily tell the difference between a 964 and 993 especially the varioram cars and the trannys are quite different. I am sure I can tell if blindfolded, just lend me your 993 and we can find out .
Old 08-10-2010, 03:11 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Doug,
Get your 64 running right and you will better understand the OP's question. 964 are the perfect balance between old and new, raw and refined.
Oh I understand...there is a reason I've wanted one of these for some time. I'm just saying Porsche made a lot of great cars and offering the suggestion to try some others...especially as a true daily driver.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:17 PM
Henrik964
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for the input, i'm not too studpid and alone in this. I know the current will be standing most of the time next 5 years but I would hate to sell it. To good car to get rid of. And YES Doug, I'm stuck 964, this is my third manual c2, second which it is rs tweaked, were very sad when I had to let nr 2 go. To be honest I think I would not have use of a newer one (RS series), I'm a "too bad driver" to push a modern one the way they should on track, 964 is just perfect, the old school look, air/oiled cooled but pretty modern under the shelf. fast enough for me. certainly if I reach the magic 300 hp i'm after. I just wish a were a better mechanic when it comes to the engine....
Old 08-10-2010, 04:33 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've always wanted to try and build a Paris/Dakar version of a C4... Do some gravel roads with it. AND I've always wanted a 928S, AND a 914, AND a VW Transporter with a 3.6 conversion, AND..... AND...
Old 08-10-2010, 04:55 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Over the coming years I think we are going to see a lot of 964 C2s snapped up by 964RS (euro) owners. The price of the latter is rising so rapidly that they will reach the point were they are just too precious to take on track. Having a track prepared C2 to use while the RS stays tucked safely in the garage will make financial sense to them.

Quick Reply: Multi purpose needs, how many of You guys have more than one 964?